Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching and have not found what I was looking for about putting 8" subs in the doors. If any of you have pics to post that would be great and maybe comment on how they sound. I'm also curious what speakers, size, and where you put the rest of your setup as far as mids and highs. I can't decide if I would be better off putting 6x9s in the doors instead.
I'm looking to get a good amount of bass without taking up precious rear cargo space. If anyone has any good ideas or has put any imput please let me know!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
I have been searching and have not found what I was looking for about putting 8" subs in the doors. If any of you have pics to post that would be great and maybe comment on how they sound. I'm also curious what speakers, size, and where you put the rest of your setup as far as mids and highs. I can't decide if I would be better off putting 6x9s in the doors instead.
I'm looking to get a good amount of bass without taking up precious rear cargo space. If anyone has any good ideas or has put any imput please let me know!!
First and foremost, bass signals are non-directional, and can be generated quite efficiently and effectively from just about anywhere.

Putting subs in your doors would be a bit silly and useless. Put the sub/s anywhere else out of the way, and focus on getting your mid range drivers in the doors with tweeters up in the dash so your ears have a chance of hearing some un interupted/disturbed/bounced sound waves.

A.W.D.

·
Registered
111 Posts
You wouldn't be able to flush mount subs to your doors. Subs need an enclosure of air it needs to push to produce their sound. And the door panel just doesn't provide enough volume to be an adequate enclosure.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
I also installed the 8" dyn-audios in the doors They are great speakers but their are mid-range not subs. In my opinion there is not enough depth or air space in the doors for a true quality 8'" sub.

With an amp you can put a good quality sub in the stock location and not lose much storage capacity.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the imput so for I may just go with a component setup instead. I will have to find some other way for a stealth sub.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I also installed the 8" dyn-audios in the doors They are great speakers but their are mid-range not subs. In my opinion there is not enough depth or air space in the doors for a true quality 8'" sub.

With an amp you can put a good quality sub in the stock location and not lose much storage capacity.
you got it. while i am not a fan of a any box in the stock woofers location, it isnt a bad solution for the space conscious customer.

as far as bass notes being non directional, that isnt completely true. although you shouldnt be able to tell where the bass is coming from with a good install in a vehicle, more often than not i can identify the exact location within the car that the woofer is in.

it is all in the install.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just picked up a pair of 8" Dyn's for my doors. I bought the taco 6x9 baffles for the 6x9 woofers I had got. Now I need new baffles... Life sucks!!! But 8's in the door are nice..

Anyone make a baffle for 8's????????? PM ME!!!!!!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you were not happy with the 6x9s? I'm still on the fence on what to do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you're looking for punch in the doors I'd recommend Focal 6.5" woofers. I heard a lot of hype about these drivers and wondered if they'd live up to it, well they do. I'm sending 150 watts to them and they absolutely make the doors jump. I did use quite a bit of butyl to seal the mounting bracket and Dynamat Extreme for the deadening. No need to go through the hassle of 8"s unless you just want to try something different.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Here is a link to a thread showing what I did: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...component-setup-suggestions-2.html#post942996

I went with the old school Rockford FNQ 3 way components and drilled a new spot for the tweeters on the dash. I like how it sounds and the imaging is pretty good. I also added 6.5's to the spots next to the rear seats using the pods that used to be sold, or still are on the forum. Then I put the BASSLINK II system w/ onboard amp in the back to tighten it all up.

·
Registered
220 Posts

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
No reason you can put subs in the doors, ignore the nay sayers. Not all subs require an enclosure, some can run fine in IB use.

There are subs, well at least one, that is a 6.9 so easy fit! ;)
Parts Express:Tang Band W69-1042J 6"x9" Subwoofer. I have read good reviews about em.

Only thing is you need to seal up the doors and invest in lots of deadner.
but that isnt a true IB setup either...... if you seal the doors, than its just a terrible leaky box. if you dont, its not a IB. not a good setup. there is a reason that you dont see woofers designed to be placed in factory door locations.

·
Registered
143 Posts
but that isnt a true IB setup either...... if you seal the doors, than its just a terrible leaky box. if you dont, its not a IB. not a good setup. there is a reason that you dont see woofers designed to be placed in factory door locations.
IB pretty much means that the speaker enclosure will not act or act minimally on the speaker, and that the front and rear waves will be isolated. I don't know what True IB is to you.

And you can't ever really seal the doors, unless you get rid of the ruber seals, door locks, handles ect

there is a reason that you dont see woofers designed to be placed in factory door locations.
uhmmmm..... are you serious? Most 6X9's and car component systems are designed for this, and any driver that will work well in IB will work well in a door (usually low FS and high QTS).

With the right driver in a well done door, you can get great results. Of course, not like your dual 10inch DD's in a 2cube box like you Briman but still pretty good none the less.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
IB pretty much means that the speaker enclosure will not act or act minimally on the speaker, and that the front and rear waves will be isolated. I don't know what True IB is to you.

And you can't ever really seal the doors, unless you get rid of the ruber seals, door locks, handles ect

uhmmmm..... are you serious? Most 6X9's and car component systems are designed for this, and any driver that will work well in IB will work well in a door (usually low FS and high QTS).

With the right driver in a well done door, you can get great results. Of course, not like your dual 10inch DD's in a 2cube box like you Briman but still pretty good none the less.

2 cubes huh? havent had much box building experience for one who passes on his opinion as fact.

if you want accurate and decent sound, i would suggest the components up front, with a sealed enclosure for the low end over the rear fenderwell. it keeps things up and out of the way without sacrificing any cargo area or really sacrificing sound.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts