Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... how it'll sit.

This past weekend, Blindside and I put a tape on the two FJs...

Blindside's FJ: completely stock (for now) and mine: 883s, Demello, M8000. My FJ was just slightly over 1.5" higher than the stock FJ. It sits either slightly nose down or dead level - it's hard to tell...

Before the bumper/winch, it was nose up - noticeably but not excessive. Now, it has a "natural" look - it looks balanced, e.g. not nose down or up, sits over the 285s with what seems like the "right" (gee that's not subjective huh) amount of clearance...

Anyway, I figured I wasn't the only one debating springs vs. bumper vs. winch... wondering how it'll sit, look, etc.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Have fun with the brake dive!
Your gonna need 884's min. the front is too heavy with the winch.
I run an OME kit all around and with a Demello tube bumper and a mile marker PE8000, the front end is too heavy for 885's, but not heavy enough for 886's.
The one thing that I did (that may help you)was I installed a synthetic winch rope on my winch. But I still think the front is too soft. Good luck with this project. If you like the way things are, I guess it's OK.:)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't noticed any brake dive or handling changes. It would make sense that there are changes - weight is weight... and it's there. But I haven't noticed it. It could be driving style... My previous car was an RX8... so the FJ is such a departure (nice way of saying it's so sloppy by comparison) that 5" of brake dive vs. 4" of brake dive is going unnoticed... and now my driving style is more laid back.

·
Registered
221 Posts
:rolleyes:

You'll probably only notice the brake dive as you approach that stop sign near my house....when you are flying past SPEEDING through the neighborhood! bwahahaha

:rofl:

·
Registered
636 Posts
Any pics?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Couple shots... kept it in the driveway because it is completely level. The FJ is empty (no cargo) and has 3/4 tank of gas... full disclosure ya know.

·
Registered
255 Posts
What I noticed after installing All Pros front bumper w/ warn 8000 winch. Even though the nose only dropped 1/4 to 3/8th of an inch the ride was awful ,very sluggish, poor response, etc. Thought I had made a huge mistake. The solution was to add spring rate( cranked down on the fox collars) this made all the difference she came back to life and I am extremely pleased. You may want to consider the 884 springs if you feel you have had a change in handling. Just my 2 cents.
Larry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts