Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been digging through the threads and trying to come up with some decent options independently but would love feedback. I bought my 2011 TT new 9 years ago. It is 100% stock (except for the brake pads and rotors) with 140k miles on it. I've kept the fluids, brakes, tires, filters, and the usual niceties up but otherwise she is how she came. I've come full circle and decided to re-invest in this truck. Time to start bringing her back. She's going in for a complete rust removal and frame treatment next week and the first major fix after that will be the suspension. Ride quality has degraded substantially over the last few years. I was looking at this:

It only sees dirt roads, winter, and *****y New England streets. My aim is to get better than original daily ride quality, better off road-capability and to start replacing old and wearing parts so I can keep her for 20 more years. I'm OK with moving into 33" tires on the next set as she doesn't see any real HWY mileage anymore. I like the factory stance but level would also be OK. My questions are:

1. Should I also replace the front/rear springs at this point? If YES, specific suggestions would be appreciated.
2. UCA's - these are expensive but I imagine the originals will need to go shortly after the suspension upgrade and to take advantage of the investment. I've been looking at the JBA's and the corresponding ball joints. Seems very logical.
3. Other key suspensions components you would consider replacing (LCA)?. Will I need spacers on wheels if I run with 33's?
4. If you had an 9 yo FJ that was a daily driver knocking out 8k miles a year in rustville New England and was completely stock but starting to need repair/replace what would be the top 5 things on your list to address after aforementioned suspension topic. Keep in mind this is not seeing a lot of offroading but wants a long life that gets better with age, stays true to self and likes progress!!

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
293 Posts
As someone who's broken/replaced every suspension component on a 2000 tundra replace your control arms. Guarantee your control arm bushings are bad from the salt. Replace your lowers with oem or go the route I did and get superpro suspension control arms since moog doesn't make LCAs for your 11. So much easier than rebuilding the stock LCAs. JBA is a really attractive UCA like you mentioned. When ball joints fail it's not a fun ride. I've replaced both sway bar links with moogs.

If moog makes it buy it. Don't bother with cheap replacements they over engineer everything and it works.
If you don't feel like doing anything yourself take it to a trusted mechanic and ask them to do a shakedown and go from there.

Read enough suspension threads and you'll see how many people buy a lift just to buy another one and another until they are finally satisfied so that's up to you and your wallet to figure out.

I have pizza cutters (255/80/17) 33s and 1.25" spacers for the look only. They fit stock with only a slight rub. Ask any old timer about skinny tires in the snow. If you want me to sell you on the wide vs skinny tire size just ask ;)

Reactions: FJQue

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As someone who's broken/replaced every suspension component on a 2000 tundra replace your control arms. Guarantee your control arm bushings are bad from the salt. Replace your lowers with oem or go the route I did and get superpro suspension control arms since moog doesn't make LCAs for your 11. So much easier than rebuilding the stock LCAs. JBA is a really attractive UCA like you mentioned. When ball joints fail it's not a fun ride. I've replaced both sway bar links with moogs.

If moog makes it buy it. Don't bother with cheap replacements they over engineer everything and it works.
If you don't feel like doing anything yourself take it to a trusted mechanic and ask them to do a shakedown and go from there.

Read enough suspension threads and you'll see how many people buy a lift just to buy another one and another until they are finally satisfied so that's up to you and your wallet to figure out.

I have pizza cutters (255/80/17) 33s and 1.25" spacers for the look only. They fit stock with only a slight rub. Ask any old timer about skinny tires in the snow. If you want me to sell you on the wide vs skinny tire size just ask ;)

Thanks for the input. Appreciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, Just received a quote form the dealer for Genuine Toyota Parts to replace UCA, LCA, Original Bilsteins with springs and caps, rear Bilsteins, and a lower steering shaft......with labor he is expecting about $5200 giive or take for labor hours. Hah! Thats crazy. Looks like I'll be doing this myself with a combination of aftermarket/Toyota parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts