Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone done this?

I am fairly mechanically inclined. But I've never worked on a A/C system before.

Last summer our freon was low, we had it recharged and it only lasted 1 month. We had to get it recharged again, and again.

In that time, my wife would continue to run the compressor when the truck was low and I'm pretty sure the compressor is now burnt out. Its incredibly loud now. And the freon on the low side is reading like 10 PSI when running.

The shop couldn't find the leak and assumed it was the evap core under the dash and quoted me $$$$$ to replace it.

Yesterday I had another tech look at it and he said I need to replace the Compressor, Condenser and the Drier for sure and then we can go from there. Talked about possibly the expansion valve.

Rather than paying him all the monies to do this, I figured I could replace the parts my self and take it to a shop for a vacuum and recharge, then maybe get them to do a sniffer test.

I was going to just start with the Compressor first since I know that is shot.

2007 TRD Special Edition
160,XXX Miles.

Is there anything special I need to know? Is there anyway to discharge the system with out special machinery? Can this be done from the bottom with out removing the alternator? I just replaced that 6 months ago.

I have the alldatadiy manual on it, but it obviously calls for fancy equipment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK well I changed mine last week. Went ok took about 4 hours total. I would have gone quicker but I kept trying to find ways to get it out with out removing the battery and alternator.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Before you do anything you need to figure out where its leaking. It was not much of a shop if they could not find the leak. You never assume its the evaporator, that's the most work to change. A good freon leak detector would have told them it was the evap. by sniffing the air flow vents with the system running it will alarm.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts