Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Ive got a strange problem and wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen to them. My A/C wont work on the freeway I get off the freeway it kicks in and blows freeeezing cold air I get on it shuts off it still blows but just not cold. The only mods on my car are an ARB front bumper and 2 hella rallye 4000s.
PLZ help

Thank You

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
The arb is probably the cause.

Did you do the install? You remember that silver a/c line you bent out of the way? A lot of people have had it move back and then be damaged. Those same people have now (including me) put a piece of fuel line around that a/c line where it comes close to the bumper mount so it won't rub. Go get a flash light and look towards the lower section of that silver tubing to see if it has a hole or is contacting the metal.

If it is fine and the line is far away from the metal bumper, then i have no idea. The intermittent working of your a/c is strange though.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I second what Layton said. Check that line. It's a known issue.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
I second what Layton said. Check that line. It's a known issue.

It seems that you and i are always answering questions threads right behind each other at the hours of 12-3am, :lol:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I installed it myself and i bent the line out of the way. I dont think thats the problem but i still did check it just now and just like I thought it was intact no wholes. If there was a whole in it then the antifreeze would get out and the a/c wouldn't blow cold are at all. I just started it turned on the a/c and it was cold.
I asked my dad to check the comp to see if there are any codes and hes gona do that tomorrow.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems that you and i are always answering questions threads right behind each other at the hours of 12-3am, :lol:
and it also seems that you guys are the only ones who ever answer any of my questions... so thank you to the both of you

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
This is a good time for me on the computer. Everyone is asleep and I'm left alone to do my thing.

oh, Pinky, you're welcome. :)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Haha, no prob. That part about the a/c blowing when not on the freeway kind of threw me off as well. I would still suggest putting about 6" of fuel line around that part that is near the bumper bracket. That stuff vibrates (as i am sure you see the bull bar vibrating compared to the hood) and while it is not touching it could with some rough bumps. Just put a slice down one side and slide it over.

Hmm, that was my only guess though.

I think you are confusing the radiator with the a/c unit. I believe the only thing that runs through that hose is air not antifreeze. But i am not 100% sure.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my bad i said antifreeze I ment freon not antifreeze.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll let it slide... this time.

:rofl::lol:
Thank You almighty layonnn I will go give myself 20 lashes now... no 30 lashes!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Check all your pullies and the serpentine strap and watch if the a/c kicks in.

Mine did that for a few hours before the strap ripped apart and wrapped around the pullies. I had no cold air and all of a suddent frosty air coming out of the vents.

Hope its not that but good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Sounds like a belt problem. The belt is slipping at highway speeds and when you slow down there is less force on the belt and it stops slipping. Replace the serpentine belt and see if the problem goes away.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just found this thread. My FJ is stock except for some lighting & other electical stuff. But, even before any mods, the A/C would start fine < 55 mph. Above that, it sometimes would not kick in. Discovered that by slowing down on highway to <55 would allow it to kick in, and then I could resume speed, and A/C kept going just fine ! ???

It's just been intermittent, and I plan to take it in under warranty just before that expires, if it's still doing this.

Not sure if this is the same as your issue (I'm guessing a/c clutch), but passing it along in case it helps in some way. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info guys I'm gona take a look at it a bit later today. I'll keep you guys up to date on what I find

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
An A/C system that blows cold air for awhile then warm air is probably freezing up. This can be caused by air and moisture in the system that allows ice to form and block the orifice tube.
Evacuating the system with a vacuum pump will purge it of unwanted air and moisture. Evacuation should be done with a vacuum pump that is capable of achieving and holding a high vacuum (29 inches) for at least 30 to 45 minutes.
For best performance, an A/C system should contain less than 2% air by weight. For every 1% increase in the amount of air that displaces refrigerant in the system, there will be a corresponding drop of about one degree in cooling performance. More than 6% air can cause a very noticeable drop in cooling performance, and possibly cause evaporator freeze-up.

My $0.02.​

·
Registered
468 Posts
Mine did this one day, but has been fine ever since. I wondered what happened as well, but only happened that one time.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
FWIW, this has happened to me as well. I was driving around the freeway on a scorching day, hit the A/C and had nothing but warm air, then as soon as I got off the freeway, freezing cold air kicked in.

Demello front bumper here, and that A/C line isn't crimped at all. So I guess I'll have the belts checked out.

Good post. I thought I was going nuts.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I knew I couldn't be the only one with this prob

·
Registered
132 Posts
My AC just stopped working, it was 100+ here in NJ for the past few days. Perfect timing. I read this post and it made me wonder if I bent the AC line enough for clearance with my ALLPRO bumper. After looking I see that the line is broke do to rubbing on metal. Is this an easy fix? Help its really hot...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts