Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.What does FJ in FJ Cruiser stands for?

2.Is there another place that the full size spare tire can be stored?

3.I read somewhere in this forum about suicide door. What is a suicide door and why is it called as such?

Any info. is greatly appreicated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Spare tire could go on the roof? Suicide doors open the opposite of conventional style doors...FJ is the designation that Toyota gave for this model type of body/vehicle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Very well stated Ramblin! thank you for the in-depth info....You are right that they are very safe, since you can not open them unless the front doors are open, Just like the access cab model Tacomas and Tundras!

·
Registered
173 Posts
FJ stands for Forget Jeeps...

or is it F*** Jeeps... I can't remember.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
midlifecrisis said:
1.What does FJ in FJ Cruiser stands for?
The "FJ" Comes from the original (in the US anyway) Landcruiser, designated FJ40, which the FJ Cruiser takes several styling cues from. the "F" indicates the engine, in this case 1F, 2F, 3F etc. newer land cruisers and diesels have different designations as they have different engines and chassis. the current 'cruiser is UZJ-100, a diesel 40 series is an HJ-40.
There is debate as the the purpose of the "J". i have heard everything from it representing jeep to being made in japan. im more inclined to thing the japan part as the designation of pickups changed when they started up the north american plants (jap made had the JT at the beginning of the VIN, NA made had *AT). than and i dont want to think of anything remotely Jeep being related to a land cruiser.

The reason they use the FJ designation on the FJ Cruiser is because they are trying to link the hard core off road heritage that the land cruiser name carries without losing the behemoth luxomobile that the current landcruiser has become.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Correction on the suicide doors Ramblin... and what I always thought the naming of suicide doors meant.

The name refers to the danger of such a door being hit by another vehicle while parked at the curb, which would be catastrophic if a passenger happened to be entering or exiting the car at the time

(straight from your link)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Im going to go out on a limb and say that the spare could go on the roof or behind the rear seat if need be. You may have to rig something up though.

Any reason why you would want to move the spare ?? Just curious if you have thought of something I haven't. I was thinking I may have to move my spare to fit it in my garage...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Any reason why you would want to move the spare ?? Just curious if you have thought of something I haven't.

Because the spare extends out further than the bumper, it essentially makes the spare the bumper. That would lead to a rather expensive repair. The first thing I do when I get my FJC is bungy the spare on the roof rack.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
A spare on the roof rack is going to raise your cg. It's easier to access in a tight situation though. You might want to put a second spare up there for a long expedtion to the interior of Gondwana Land. I don't think I'm going to mind the location of the spare. I'd prefer it to be down low, aft of the rear axle like in full size LandCruisers, but there's probably not enough room, even though some have said there is a bunch of room under there. The Toureg I looked at used a deflated full size spare that is accessable through the floor of the rear cargo area. Requires onboard air of course. I liked the idea.
Now for a really expensive and spectacular repair job you should go with the rear spare plus an extra gas tank, like the SEMA smerf.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pancho said:
I'd prefer it to be down low, aft of the rear axle like in full size LandCruisers, but there's probably not enough room, even though some have said there is a bunch of room under there. The Toureg I looked at used a deflated full size spare that is accessable through the floor of the rear cargo area. Requires onboard air of course. I liked the idea.
hwy pancho immagine you have a car full of people and luggage, snow ski's on the roof. you got one of those mini-spares below the floor. you get a flat. ok you put the mini on the car. now where do you put the flat. it won't fit where the mini was in the mini space. you either put it in someones lap or you leave it on the side of the road. oh and once you have the mini on you can't go faster than 55 and you can't drive it for more than 50 miles. trust me pal, be thankful for the full size spare on the rear and go highway speed. any car company that makes such mini spares in such mini spaces is just plain stupid. my two cents.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have a full sized spare on my car. And wow what a waste it is. Nice matching rim....nice matching BFG. Waste of money if you ask me. Unless of course I blow a tire out off roading...which has never happened to me yet. If you are only going to be on the road then a donut is fine. It is a SPARE to give you a chance to get an actual tire. Yes some idiots drive around on the freeway with it, but it is intended to get you from Pt. A to the nearest tire store. And a donut serves this purpose just fine. Some people like to be prepared in case of an emergency...and others could care less.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I actually hate donuts. I seem to be a magnet for flat tires, and its nice to be able to throw the spare on and get the flat tire fixed or replaced at my convenience.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Even on cars I have owned that did not have a full size spare, I still carried one rather than the donut. The donut is a waste of rubber. At least with a full size spare you know you can change it out and not have to head immediately to a tire store to get your REAL tire repaired immediately.

As far as it's location, well, we may have to see what kinds of awesome aftermarket goodies we can get for rear rack systems. I plan on having a jerry can and a mount for some mountain bikes. Sounds like I may have to wait awhile to see what is going to come available.

·
Registered
51 Posts
fletcher said:
Correction on the suicide doors Ramblin... and what I always thought the naming of suicide doors meant.

The name refers to the danger of such a door being hit by another vehicle while parked at the curb, which would be catastrophic if a passenger happened to be entering or exiting the car at the time

(straight from your link)
The information at the Wikipedia link has changed since I first quoted it. I've always heard the percieved danger was the doors coming open at speed, but I guess either one or both could be correct.

Good catch.

·
Registered
181 Posts
yoyoyo said:
hwy pancho immagine you have a car full of people and luggage, snow ski's on the roof. you got one of those mini-spares below the floor. you get a flat. ok you put the mini on the car. now where do you put the flat. it won't fit where the mini was in the mini space. you either put it in someones lap or you leave it on the side of the road. oh and once you have the mini on you can't go faster than 55 and you can't drive it for more than 50 miles. trust me pal, be thankful for the full size spare on the rear and go highway speed. any car company that makes such mini spares in such mini spaces is just plain stupid. my two cents.

Hahahah LMAO!

This actualy happened to me in my wife's Miata when we were on vacation. I took out the little donut and couldn't even think about fitting the full-size tire in the trunk of that car with the luggage. I wound up with it on my lap with the top down on I95 for about 30 miles.

·
Registered
166 Posts
ToyBox said:
Hahahah LMAO!

This actualy happened to me in my wife's Miata when we were on vacation. I took out the little donut and couldn't even think about fitting the full-size tire in the trunk of that car with the luggage. I wound up with it on my lap with the top down on I95 for about 30 miles.
bet you were glad it wasn't snwing or raining or freezing cold. hope you accept my sympathies. happened to me once before with a nissan. ever since i've never considered any car that didn't have a proper place to stow a full size 'flat' tire. in fact i now refuse to buy any car with a mini-spare.

·
Registered
181 Posts
yoyoyo said:
bet you were glad it wasn't snwing or raining or freezing cold. hope you accept my sympathies. happened to me once before with a nissan. ever since i've never considered any car that didn't have a proper place to stow a full size 'flat' tire. in fact i now refuse to buy any car with a mini-spare.
Well the Miata is a mini car so I guess it deserves a mini spare. Seriously though, in the Miata, it makes sense, there is barely enough room for two weekend bags and the donut. Put a full size in there and it will have nothing.

Thankfully with my experience it was a nice, sunny summer day. When I got to the hick South Carolina gas station.........that was a whole other story. :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts