Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I want to thank SSC for the invite and tour of Big Bear today. We ran quite a bit of trails in the rain today. No dust to speak of and the temperature was great. There were also some fun mud pools to drive through. :bigthumb:

We met at the Discovery center. I was late because the little one was not liking the twist and turns coming up the mountain. He does ok if we're on dirt, but really don't like the faster paved mountain roads. When I got there SSC and his son was already waiting. I was a good 30-40 min. late. I felt terrible for being late, but he was cool about it. Thanks. :)

The rain came down pretty good and we heard thunder. Due to the rain, we decided to take it easy. We head on over 3N16 towards John Bull and swing around the east side of John Bull and did this hidden trail that few people knew about. It was out of the way and at the end of the trail, you're afforded a gorgeous view of Lucern/Apple Valley. The rain subsided and the sun peeked out. Weather was in the low 70s and it was a great time to have lunch.

I found my FJ twin! Both have front and rear AP bumpers. We ran the same winch line and thimble. No rack, magnet mount antenna, black wheels, and very similar approach in how we setup our vehicle.
Airing down at Holcomb Valley Road.

Having lunch at a out of the way spot.

We did the entrance to Bull because it's really close and because IT'S THERE! :)

The entrance to Bull. Just some rock steps and small boulders. Tight, but fun.

We reconnected to 3N16 and heading further east. Went pass Gold Mountain and onto Jacoby. I've never done Jacoby and was glad to have the chance. It's an easy trail that's really beautiful. The vegetation is dense on both sides so it was tight. Good thing the growth is really soft and doesn't scratch-much. It's mostly a dirt road with one section where you need to be mindful of rocks on both sides. Fun trail to just relax on.

Jacoby Trail

The rain was pleasant and made the wheeling more enjoyable. The forest needed it too! I'm very glad we had a soaking and hopefully that'll help retard the potential for fire. SSC, thanks for the invite and the lead. I had a great time!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice Tony! I love your pics, as usual. I'm jealous man....I didn't get to wheel at all during my vacation.
Thanks. Dave, didn't you make it to the SD run? I thought you were going? I'm looking forward to the 8/9 run. Maybe I'll even camp and wheel Saturday AND Sunday.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
No, I never made it. I was putting the finishing touches on my garage. Dom and Arien saw it in the "before" stages, and it was BAD. It took 2 weeks solid (at 8-10 hours a day) and 3 dumpsters full of crapola hauled off before I got it to where it is now. That was a MAJOT project, and now I need me some wheelin'!!!!!!

I wanna go in August to Big Bear, but is it (modded) 4X2 friendly?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
3N59A, the trail we're adopting is not too bad. You should be able to get through that. The other trails might be too much. There are lots of trails up there that's 2wd friendly. You would have fun even just roaming around.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Well then, I wanna go too. Maybe even on your trail scouting trip. Who knows....I may be in for the Adopt a Trail as well. If I get wedged in to a tight spot, I always have you to winch me out :D :D

That reminds me....lunch sometime next week?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well then, I wanna go too. Maybe even on your trail scouting trip. Who knows....I may be in for the Adopt a Trail as well. If I get wedged in to a tight spot, I always have you to winch me out :D :D

That reminds me....lunch sometime next week?
You should definitely try and come out. We've selected our adopted trail so 2WD members can enjoy it. There's so much to do in Big Bear, you won't be bored.

Lunch sounds good. :)

Oh, I really doubt you'll need to be winched on 3N59A :lol:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking about some of the more "experienced" trails Tony...:D And I SHOULD be available on 8/9 for the run.
Sounds good. I'll make a post about meeting locations and also if anyone want to caravan up.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nice pics Tony! I wish I could have gone with you guys but I was too busy having fun in Oceano Dunes, so no mud, but plenty of wet sand. :) I am definitely down for the 8/9 trip through 3N59A as well!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool Tom. I'm waiting on Pointman to respond. I know he has some plans too. If we can make it work for all of us, it'll be the best.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hi Tony,
Hope all is well. Thanks for the pictures. I hope to run John Bull on the 9th. With any luck we can cordinate all the trails. Leaving late next week to Bishop to run trails from there to bridgeport, then cross highway 50( the lonely highway) to Utah to run trails. I should be back before the 9th and hopefully the rig will be in good shape. A few more pictures.

Regards, SSC
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Off-roading Regularity rally

Off-roading Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Regularity rally

Off-roading Automotive tire Vehicle Car Regularity rally

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am a newbiebut excited about getting out on some trails. Can you tell me about the Aug. 9th run? How difficult will it be? I don't want to invite myself, so is the open or a closed invite?

FJDunkball
:lol:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Guys,
I am a newbiebut excited about getting out on some trails. Can you tell me about the Aug. 9th run? How difficult will it be? I don't want to invite myself, so is the open or a closed invite?

FJDunkball
:lol:
Hi Dunkball. I'm trying to work out some details with Pointman1776. I've yet to hear from him, but I know he wanted to do a John Bull run on the 9th. I'll probably be doing some black diamonds as well, but not to the point of Bull. I'll make a thread soon as I know what Pointman's plans are.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dave, 3N59A is not too difficult. Coxey , 3N16, and Jacoby are all fun too. PLENTY of easy trails up there.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I'm not looking for easy, I'm just looking to do some trails the 4X2 can handle. Granted, I'm no Wrigman, but I want to challenge myself and the rig (hence, I need a trail partner, preferrably one with a winch)....but the black diamond trails are out....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks,
Let me know all about the get together. I loved your "Build Up" pictures. Hope to do some trails soon with you and others. Thanks for the response.

FJDunkball
:rofl:

·
Registered
98 Posts
FJDave
Don't worry I've never been on a real run, just some foolin' around in the Lake Isabella area a couple of weeks ago by myself. I will be I'm sure cautious at first.

FJDunkball:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You should definitely try and come out. We've selected our adopted trail so 2WD members can enjoy it. There's so much to do in Big Bear, you won't be bored.

Lunch sounds good. :)

Oh, I really doubt you'll need to be winched on 3N59A :lol:
Careful. you'll either bring up bad memories for some lucky fella, or jinx the whole thing for dave. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts