Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the sticker shock of the aux tanks available and watching the governmental CARB laws take away the scepter options, I decided to go a different route. This is the Moeller Marine 12 Gal low profile tank I ordered. Fits well on the stock roof rack on two crossbars with a third on the top rail to help hold it in place. I will also strap it down, but those aren't installed in the pics.

This tank is pretty heavy duty, constructed of plastic at least as thick as the scepter tanks. Being a topside marine tank, it's designed to resist exposure to the elements, salt water, etc. and is guaranteed not to leak.

The tank has a fuel gauge built in and a port to tie in a fuel line (which I have removed because I won't be using that).

I have some fuel grade clear plastic tubing with a simple siphon and run it directly to the tank. Just start the siphon action and it flows about 2.5 gallons per minute, or 12 gallons in just under 5 minutes.

I'm also thinking of just painting the whole tank white to help with heat/UV absorption, but I don't know if that will violate some state fuel transport law or something.

Here are the costs involved:

Tank = $60 shipped from Amazon.com
Fuel hose = $12 from any auto parts store
Simple Siphon = $5 (I bought a pack of 3 for $15)
Ratcheting straps = $12 from Walmart

So for about $90, I have a pretty solid additional 12 gallons for those extended trips, which should amount to 180-200 more miles between fill-ups.

Here are some pictures:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links. The locking tie down straps may come in handy someday, but I am really not ever far from the truck when I am wheelin', and I won't have the tank up there except for extended trips. But they are still nice.

The Ethanol problem seems to be affecting fiberglass tanks, so I'm not sure it is applicable here. I am pretty sure these tanks are made from the same stuff the scepter tanks are, so if it was a problem, all the scepter owners would be faced with it too. Moeller and Scepter are the same company... I think Scepter is the parent of Moeller (or maybe the other way around).

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great idea!! I like it. Any idea on the weight with all the gas?
About 73lbs for the gas and about 7 lbs for the tank, so I would say approximately 80lbs total. I may just use LandCruiserSteve's crossbar mod and put a third under the bottom.

Certainly I don't feel like lifting that much off the roof, so I would put as much as I could get in the FJ tank when I got home if there are any still in the tank up top. If not the 14yr old son can haul it off :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
The tank should work fine, just remember DO NOT FILL TO THE TOP and always leave the vent OPEN. We use those tanks on some of our boats and they expand in the sun. Maybe a light colored tarp or cover will help keep the temp down, the plastic does not take paint well.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
The tank should work fine, just remember DO NOT FILL TO THE TOP and always leave the vent OPEN. We use those tanks on some of our boats and they expand in the sun. Maybe a light colored tarp or cover will help keep the temp down, the plastic does not take paint well.
I was thinking the same thing!

Nice find, Decidion. I'm going to start looking at this as my new Aux Fuel cell. Did you do any playing around under the rear cargo area to see how well it might fit under there? Seems like it may be a tad tall (mostly due to the cap).

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking the same thing!

Nice find, Decidion. I'm going to start looking at this as my new Aux Fuel cell. Did you do any playing around under the rear cargo area to see how well it might fit under there? Seems like it may be a tad tall (mostly due to the cap).
I don't know about putting down it there. It's thick plastic, but it's still plastic. And I would be worried about some sharp rock or hard branch popping up and puncturing it.

And you are also dealing with the "how do I get it out" issue. You would either have to remove the tank or rig up some kind of pump, because you couldn't siphon it "up" to the tank.

But if you guys can figure something out, I'm all ears :)

If you do look into that, you may want to check out other tank sizes too. They have slightly larger ones and also even lower profile ones that might fit better. Moeller Marine Online - Home - Home Page

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you think it expands more than say a Scepter jerry can (proportionally speaking)? Anyway I am going to experiment with paint designed for plastic and also use some adhesion promoter. I'll post up what I find out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
For other tanks check with West Marine. They have lots of sizes and shapes. Page 621, 622, 623 of their 2008 cataiog, also on page 619 they show a portable gas pump.....

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
That is super cool way better than jerry cans up top seems like it has a better COG too:cheers: when I get the swing out tire holder and AP bumper I will move to the is mod:D

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am going to experiment with paint designed for plastic and also use some adhesion promoter. I'll post up what I find out.
Well, I tried using Adhesion promoter and then a couple of coats of off white that matches the roof. It looked pretty darn good...well for about 10 minutes. Then it started flaking off if I just looked at it cross-eyed. I thought the adhesion promoter would help, but this stuff practically just fell off of it's own accord.

So then I contacted a local Line-X place and asked them about Line-x'ing it. The guy says it will not ever work with a plastic tank because the gas vapors slowly permeate through the plastic and would cause bubbles under the paint. Then it would start falling off....he knew as he had already tried it.

So the only other option is covering it somehow, either with a tarp or maybe a roof bag. Neither option appeals to me, so I will probably leave it (now that I have cleaned off all the white paint). I guess the red isn't too bad a match for my brick :)

I'm also looking into other roof mounted, aluminum options, but those won't be until next year's tax return can fund it!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I am curious to know how this is holding up for you. Thinking about switching from the Scepter cans since it seems we will never get our AUX fuel tank. :mecry:

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
seems like it has a better COG too:cheers:
???????????
This seems like it has a better COG than having two jerry cans up there? How did you come to that conclusion and what IT are your referring to as having a better COG, the FJ?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am curious to know how this is holding up for you. Thinking about switching from the Scepter cans since it seems we will never get our AUX fuel tank. :mecry:
This set up has worked out very well for me. I have put at least 5000 miles on the FJ with the tank up there, both off and on highway and never had any issues (except remembering to leave the vent open, as I close it when storing it empty in the garage). With the vent screw open I have never had any fuel leak out on the rig, even when running some extreme trails.

Siphoning the 12 gallons only takes less than 5 minutes with a simple siphon. It's been great having this out on some of my expedition runs where gas stations were few and far between, and as I mentioned on another thread, if you get to a station after it's closed, you are SOL until they open the next morning. It's has also been great filling up next to a station selling gas for $4.75 a gallon (last month in California) with gas I bought in Arizona for $2.73 a gallon.

The only issue I have had is to remember to always keep the vent open or heat or altitude changes in pressure will cause the tank to expand or contract a bit (but it has always resumed its original shape).

·
Registered
769 Posts
Regarding opening the vent, I know that gas evaporates. So should you leave it open ALL the time, or just part of the time?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts