Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 black diamond FJ and am in the process of researching what method I want to use to black out the roof. I am leaning towards getting it painted. I have been calling around and talking to some paint shops in my area. They are saying they can paint it one of two ways. The cheap way would be to just mask it off and paint the roof right down to the line and essentially butt it against the existing black paint. The proper way to do it would be sand down and repaint the entire rear quarter panel (possibly the tail gate) to blend the paint, since that is the only place where the black and white paint actually touch with out a body break.

So then I started to look at the 2007 TRDs which came with the black roof and I noticed there is a body break there or a break of some sort. Are the body panels different on non TRD? I don't have a break there, the white just stops and black begins. Am I missing something here? I attached a picture about what I am talking about.

Here is a link to a bigger version of the picture

Imageshack - picture004ag0.jpg

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I am an idiot, I just went and took another look at my FJ and I do have a little ridge there.

So if I want to do this right do the entire rear quarter panels need to be repainted? Do all the windows and windshield and bumper and moldings need be taken off?

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
One thing to think about is the trim piece above the windshield. Many installers flat out break the thing and install a new one because they are so hard to get off. You'll want to make sure you go to a glass guy that has done a bunch of FJ's and doesn't break that piece.

·
Registered
237 Posts
did this mod firsthand

the ridge is there for a reason, its not a trd or TT

i went with just painting over the ridge

wanted 2x more to buff out the line

very happy with that mod, best 800 i spent so far, everytime i look at it makes me smile like a fat guy in an ice cream shop

make sure your quote includes spraying all the inside white parts as well

i love the factory aggressive look, just me i guess

run electrical tape on the white line, if you can live with that tiny like not smoothed out, do it

i just dont think it was worth it because your vin will still say non trd

good luck and post pix

before,

after,

love it:bigthumb:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing to think about is the trim piece above the windshield. Many installers flat out break the thing and install a new one because they are so hard to get off. You'll want to make sure you go to a glass guy that has done a bunch of FJ's and doesn't break that piece.
So I should go to a good glass guy and have him take it off then take it to the painters to paint the roof, then take it back to the glass guy to reinstall it? Will they have to remove the windshield ?

Regarding painting to the line and not blending:
If I decide to just paint to the line, I wont mind being able to see a little line there. The part that scares me is the clear coat and the fact that the clear coat from the new paint will just stop in the middle of a body panel and have an edge that may make it easier to peel. A couple of the shops straight up said that it would probably be ok to just paint to the line but they would not warranty the work. This is pretty scary to me so I want to do it right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts