Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Sockless Superstar
11,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so a group of us were running Corkscrew, California, and part of Engineer pass the day before the "Summit" started. Practically near the end of Engineer's, 4RnrJ comes on the radio and mentions there are some quads parked on the side. We had stopped anyway to run some obstacles, but when we were rolling again he informs us via the radio that he had made it down to the bottom, and people there were asking how many quads were parked on the side of the trail. There were 3. The problem was there was supposed to be 4.

We all get rolling again but I see that Jeshua had stopped and was jogging toward a ravine with a snatch strap. It appeared as if one of the quads had misjudged his turn and had plumetted down a ravine/wash between 125-150 feet down.

Jeshua didn't miss a beat nor hesitate to help. Many might have driven by without even looking as it seemed so peaceful from up top, and you had to walk to the ravine to see what had happened.

Next in line was MudLovingFJ with his winch.

...long story short, nobody was hurt and two hours later the damaged quad was back on the trail. It had to be dragged down the rest of the trail by one of their other quads as the wheels were toed out too severely to drive it.

The photos are below, but I just want to comment on how inspiring it is when people jump in to give of the most precious commodity in this world; their time.
I was undone by the group around me that day.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Awesome, totally in agreement.. good job you guys... Good hearts..good deed..:king:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
what a scary looking drop!!!

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics Bill.

The guy was lucky to be alive that for sure. By the time I got down the ravine they had already used the winch on the Quad to get it part of the way up but it was still out of reach of Muds winch my estimate is about 130-140 feet down we hooked my strap up to it then Muds winch to the strap tightened it up then had the old guy climb out of the ditch. I kept the protection sleeve in place to keep the synthetic line from snagging on the rocks while the old guys friend helped steer the quad around and over the big rocks. Skersfan ended up dragging it out once the strap got to the top. I was just glad the guy wasn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
There's nothing that makes a day of wheeling more satisfying than being prepared and willing/able to help someone in need. :clap: :cheers: Well done.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Wow! 4RnrJ pointed out to our Friday group where it happened, but it was really hard to visualize. The pictures are amazing. The quad rider should be happy that he did not get hurt and that he had a great group of FJ owners on the trail behind him to rescue him!

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Great going guys - well done - :cheers:

-

-

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
what a story I heard it from all different angles...you guys rock!

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
I was just glad to help :)

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Initially we thought he was upset with us for damaging the quad worse than it ended up at the bottom, I think he got a pretty good hit on the head. He was there with his sons and grandchildren, his wife had died the month before. Trying to take his mind off of the situation was what his son said. After we had him out and headed down the hill, I followed them down and stopped to talk to them after it was all over. The older gentelmen was quite happy we helped and thanked me many times over. He understood by the time he got down just how lucky he was.

It could have been a lot worse than it was, and the fact that this group stopped to help shows just how many good people there are in the world. You always hear the bad, but very seldom when people go out of their way to help some one. Thanks to all that were invovled. It makes you feel good to know your friends think just like you do.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
One night years ago we had a really bad blizzard in this area.....Around 10pm a few of my buddies and I were sitting at a Tim's that was staying open for plow truck crews...Power crews....Police and fools that insisted on going out 4 wheelin' on streets that were pretty much closed. A cab driver walked in and came to our table to ask if we could go take his fare (in the stuck minivan) to the hospital. My buddy took off in his 4 Runner and when he came back he said people were stuck all over the place......In about 4 hours our five 4x4's pulled out about 15 cars and trucks from snow drifts and ditches.......

Funny part is the amount of fun we ended up having. I even pulled out an old guy in his Kubota tractor out of a drift and he said it was dumb but he was going to Tim's for a coffee....That made us laugh for months.

Undoubtedly when it starts storming now (even though I don't live in that city anymore) I get these phone calls asking if I am "going for coffee" and it's always followed by hysterical laughing.

Something about helping someone out in a time of need that just makes ya feel a little bit better........Pass it forward.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Thanks to all that were invovled. It makes you feel good to know your friends think just like you do.
This, right here, says it all in a neatly wrapped package. I am so proud to be part of a group that is as selfless as these very nice people are, and prove it every time they go out and do something like this. Bravo!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
SoCalers are good people -- I don't care what anyone else says! :) Good job guys. I love to hear stories like this; renews my faith in humankind. :clap:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts