Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, since I'm still fairly new to the FJ's (since September), I've been browsing this forum, absorbing information.

I do have a few questions on a few things, which I couldn't really find answers to, so if someone knows an answer, or can link me to one that would be awesome.

1. I plan to install an overhead console with Homelink using one of the Honda/Acura consoles seen somewhere else on the forum, but have a couple questions.
On the consoles I have found on Ebay, some have a 2 prong connector, and some have a 3 prong. Whats the difference? Nothing visible. I'm wondering if the 3rd prong is for an additional power supply to make it come on when the door opens, like the dome light? If so, can a wire be run from the dome light to that prong? Also, Is there already pre-existing wiring in the FJ to tap into near the front of the headliner? (07, AT 4X4)

2. Highway sway. This thing sways quite a bit at highway speeds. Almost like its always windy. If I have the 4X4 engaged, it seems much more stable, even on clear roads on sunny days.
Is this normal, or should I have it looked at?

3. Speedometer is off by quite a margin. I know Toyota purposely makes them a certain percentage off, but if I set the cruise at 75, my Waze, Google Maps and GPS speedometer all read out at about 71. If I set my cruise with Waze at 75, the speedo will read out 79-80. Is this much difference normal, or should I have it calibrated? I'm running stock size 267/75/17 tires.

Thanks in advance for all the responses (if anyone actually does respond lol)!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another option is to install a rear view mirror with homelink.
I thought about that, but you still need the wiring, so I might as well add lights and storage. Also, finding a mirror that doesnt interfere with the visors might be difficult.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Mine swayed a bit, especially when straightening out after cornering. That all went away after I installed better shocks and slightly stiffer springs. IMO the stock shocks are garbage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has, I think, a 3" lift, and aftermarket shocks. I'm not sure how old any of it is, because obviously I bought it used so I dont know the entire details of whats under there.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Possibly your alignment has too much toe-out, which can make the steering wander. Or, your steering/suspension is worn and needs a refresh (tie rods, ball joints etc.).

·
トヨタ Master
6,423 Posts
The sway may be your tires catching grooves in the roads and your tires are well....groovy too (around the circumference), and while we're on that subject, the stock size are P265/70R17, not LT265/75R17. About 1/2 to 3/4 inch difference, depending on tire brand and specs, which at 75 could account for the different readings. FJs have pretty accurate speedometers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sway may be your tires catching grooves in the roads and your tires are well....groovy too (around the circumference), and while we're on that subject, the stock size are P265/70R17, not LT265/75R17. About 1/2 to 3/4 inch difference, depending on tire brand and specs, which at 75 could account for the different readings. FJs have pretty accurate speedometers.
Lol my original post should have said 265\70\17. BRAINFART

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have E rated Yokohama MTs and no sway even during windy days, something wrong there get the suspension checked out.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hey everybody, since I'm still fairly new to the FJ's (since September), I've been browsing this forum, absorbing information.

I do have a few questions on a few things, which I couldn't really find answers to, so if someone knows an answer, or can link me to one that would be awesome.

1. I plan to install an overhead console with Homelink using one of the Honda/Acura consoles seen somewhere else on the forum, but have a couple questions.
On the consoles I have found on Ebay, some have a 2 prong connector, and some have a 3 prong. Whats the difference? Nothing visible. I'm wondering if the 3rd prong is for an additional power supply to make it come on when the door opens, like the dome light? If so, can a wire be run from the dome light to that prong? Also, Is there already pre-existing wiring in the FJ to tap into near the front of the headliner? (07, AT 4X4)

2. Highway sway. This thing sways quite a bit at highway speeds. Almost like its always windy. If I have the 4X4 engaged, it seems much more stable, even on clear roads on sunny days.
Is this normal, or should I have it looked at?

3. Speedometer is off by quite a margin. I know Toyota purposely makes them a certain percentage off, but if I set the cruise at 75, my Waze, Google Maps and GPS speedometer all read out at about 71. If I set my cruise with Waze at 75, the speedo will read out 79-80. Is this much difference normal, or should I have it calibrated? I'm running stock size 267/75/17 tires.

Thanks in advance for all the responses (if anyone actually does respond lol)!!
1. I have one of those Honda consoles installed. I wired it by splicing into the existing Dome light wiring and fishing the new wires forward to the hole in the headliner you have to cut to fit the console. The 3 wires are: positive, negative and switched negative. If your console has switches for the lights the connections are: positive is always hot and goes to Homelink and one side of lights, unswitched negative goes to switches for lights, switched negative connects to the minus side of lights with the output from the light switches. In the 'A' pillar drivers side (left hand drive) is a connector for an auto dimming mirror and roof lights. It has positive and negative in it. If you remove the sunvisors and mirror while you have the 'A' pillar cover off you can fish wires up into the headliner. Be careful if you do this because the headliner is a rigid fiberglass backing can crush or crease which will be visible. Rust-Oleum Soldier Gray is an almost perfect color match for the headliner. I made a paper template with center line marks which was carefully 'blue' taped in place and used a snap-off style razor knife to cut out the headliner. More than 1 blade will be need as the fiberglass dulls the blade quickly and dull blade will tear the cloth cover. There is a roof brace which you must avoid so I recommend that after you figure out where you think you want to cut the hole in the headliner you cut out a smaller hole inside of the footprint you need for the console. This will let you see if you have to adjust the console position to miss the roof brace and let you test out cutting the headliner.

2. Over inflated tires can make the FJ be very squirrely.

3. I have run 285-70-17 and am currently using 285-75-16 tires (almost the same O.D.) and the speedo is almost dead on. Many people have noticed this same thing and commented that Toyota should have put those size tires on in the first place.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts