Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is Justin going up and over the same hill that destroyed my FJC's rear end last week! Of course it is dry now and Justin did take a couple of runs at it first, and he did need to do another wheelie to make it up. lol This was yesterday, 7-24-08.

And Corey going down the same little hill.

Yeah sure, Corey wanted me to drive through that. That is HELL HOLE, where I have done a lot of real damage to my FJC. And he wants me to do it when it is filled with nasty stinking green water, no way. :nono: OK Corey go ahead and chime in now. :shrug03:

Justin putting the 4x2 though its workout to get through this crack.

With all the rain we have been having it is turning this place into a Jungle

First Chris and now Corey, gee-whiz why all the animosity. lol :fing27:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
What's with all these busted Diffs this week? Jeez. I hope it works out well for you, Paul.

Make sure you look up the thread that is collecting data on build dates for FJs with busted differentials and make your input.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Hmmmmm.
After doing some reading, it appears that I am a bit late to this party, aren't I? Turns out the diff blew a while back, and I'm just now catching on.

Well, it's all YOUR FAULT, Paul. You're the one who titled this thread!:lol: I was deceived. I'm the victem here.

Nice pics, BTW. I love seeing the 4x2 gettin' some. (<----vain attempt to change subject)

·
Registered
8,957 Posts
LOLOL... Me too... I thought another diff' blew'...

I have never lost a diff, well, one, but it was
water damaged from sitting in the back of some
guys pickup for a few years when I got it, plus
it was a ford, but I never lost a toy rear, even
when we raced toy's back in the 80-90's...

Just gives me an ill' feeling about pushing my FJ
while on the trail... arrggggg.....

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
lol

Sorry about the confusion about my rear diff.

This was my SECOND Rear Diff destruction.

1. The First time happened on 12-27-07 at about 27,000 miles

2. The Second time just happened on 7-19-08 at 35,352 miles

That is about 6 months and 9,000 miles on the second one.:flame:

This time I was about 3 miles from home and limped all the way home.

Both times fixed under warranty!

They did not even ask me one question this time. And I got it back a lot quicker.

One bad thing is I am getting used to it happening. That is NOT good.

·
Registered
878 Posts
hahaha, I'm not sure I know how to drive slow?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
He runs 285/70/R17 Cooper STT's
That is the biggest reason im afraid to go to a bigger size tire. Seems like so many of the blown diff's have heavier tires. I woulda thought 285's woulda been fine though. Maybe it isn't really the extra strain of heavier tires causing the rear diffs to blow.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Paul has a lot of fun working the **** out of his FJ, the extra weight and grip of larger aggressive tires only increase the maximum forces(when you beating the **** out of it) by a percentage.

The tires them selves don't do the damage.

curious? has anybody seen a high capacity diff cover, maybe with cooling fins? you should probably be looking around for one Paul, LOL you might pull 10K out of diff #3!

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Watch out for the pond in the middle...It is deeper than it appears.
Oh, I know, I go there ALL THE TIME. I live real close to it.

RRR Paul on 2-16-08

This is me! Corey shot these photos.

I have got 841 photos of that place in my Galleries. lol

Whenever you want to hit that place let me know.

hahaha, I'm not sure I know how to drive slow?
Oh, I am not sure about that. You seem to try it slow first. lol Then you like popping those wheelies.:rofl:

Maybe you should go back to the Dunslop's! K
Those are fighting words! :flame::)

That is the biggest reason im afraid to go to a bigger size tire. Seems like so many of the blown diff's have heavier tires. I woulda thought 285's woulda been fine though. Maybe it isn't really the extra strain of heavier tires causing the rear diffs to blow.
I don't think it is the 285s.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Paul, It's good to see your fixed up and wheeling again! Did you ever change the Diff fluids before you broke them? I'm wondering if maybe you had some contamination inside with all the trips thru "Hell Hole" and no scuba mod!
Well I enjoyed the photos of you Justin and Corey!
Keep em posted and maybe I can get over your way soon.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Paul, It's good to see your fixed up and wheeling again! Did you ever change the Diff fluids before you broke them? I'm wondering if maybe you had some contamination inside with all the trips thru "Hell Hole" and no scuba mod!
Well I enjoyed the photos of you Justin and Corey!
Keep em posted and maybe I can get over your way soon.
Chris "helped" me change them just a couple of weeks before it blew. We just put in Royal Purple. aaarrrgggg

We checked the old gear oil there was no water contamination and we did not see any metal fillings either. And that was without ever having done the scuba mod.

But YMMV. :)

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Chris "helped" me change them just a couple of weeks before it blew. We just put in Royal Purple. aaarrrgggg

We checked the old gear oil there was no water contamination and we did not see any metal fillings either. And that was without ever having done the scuba mod.

But YMMV. :)
Geeezzz!!! Next time, if you do break the gear, maybe go with a lower ratio gear? Give you that low end torque, of course your MPG would drop but that would not matter if you don't travel to far. I,m glad your dealership fixed you up with no questions asked :rofl: I'm surprised Toyota hasn't contacted you to be there professional test driver for our region :lol: Take care, see you on the Trail :cheers:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey Paul, I'm not sure if I told you, but I got a video of the carnage. When I get home I'll post it up here. By the way... You're crazy!! :rocker:

Ben
That is what Needles was telling me. Uh oh! :lol:

Thanks, looking forward to it.

Crazy, me, come on now, don't be fibbing to these good folks on this forum. :bigthumb:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.