Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I have searched for a while now and read every review i can and im still drawing a blank regarding tires. I know I am going to go with mud terrains, living in WV we get alot or rain and there is alot of mud so all terrains are out of the question again. Now from what i have gathered on local forums, basically anything interco, but these people trailer their rigs and have like 44 in boggers so i cant really take there opinions. About everyone local i know do not wheel at all so its whatever looks the coolest. Also i have alot of commuting, which dosn't really work well with mud terrains but during school I can put my stock wheels back on if need be but i would rather not, especially during the winter as they have a decent amount of tread left and do relatively well, I have Goodyear AT/S not the dunlops btw! Anyways I am looking mainly at 3 different tires, Bfg KM2, Hankook MT rt03, and Treadwright guard dogs with treadwrights being my fall back as my buddy has them and they are decent, mainly the price is appealing. To anyone who lives in the appalacians which tire works would you prefer? The hankooks are said to be amazing for their ability to use the sidewall treads to claw out of ruts and clear mud really well, also from what i have read they wear alot better than km2's. But the km2's are supposed to be amazing also with there abilities to conform around the terrain, which some sections of my trails are very rocky. I also read the hankooks also do this very well. the sizes would be 285-70 17's or possibly 255-80/17 for the km2's if they would work better in my region. Sorry for the long post but I am so freaking torn haha:cheers:

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
I had both the Hankooks and the KM2's
I preferred the Hankooks. They wore well and handled every condition I threw at them . Rocks, mud snow, sand, . I did many long trips with them too.
Ran the Hankooks first, then the KM2's. The KM2's seem to wader fast and they chunked up pretty quickly.
I think they are close in performance, but I still like the Hankooks.
I ran the 285/70/17's in both. Now. I run the General Grabbers . 315/75/16. The jury is out on them still, but so far so good.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I am running the Hankook muds in 285/70/17. I got them last November and have about 6K to 7K on them now. They have handled everything well. Mud, snow, ice, rocky hill climbs and highway driving. I love them. You won't regret it....

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I would go with the Hankooks for all around performance and economy...Now if I could get a set of the KM2's close to the same price as the Kooks than I would by the KM2's.

The Hankooks are exceptional all around and I see them on jeeps and trucks and again they are priced way below the KM's at least in the size I have compared them to.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I went from the BFG A/T KO's to the Hankooks about a month ago and I love them! They balanced a hell of a lot easier than the BFG's and surprisingly they ride smoother and run quieter then them too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems people love the hankooks, I think they will work really well for me. Im going to pull the trigger on the hankooks then. Just a few now, and the rest later this month through discount tire. Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts