Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background first. When I purchased my FJ in 2014 I knew I was going to put on a 2" lift but didn't know what. I picked a mid priced, good quality kit, the Toytec Ultimate with Bilstein shocks. The ride is good on our motorways and main routes but most of my driving is on our more minor roads here in the UK which are twisting narrow lanes with poorly maintained surfaces.

The speed limit on these ins 60mph but I rarely get the FJ above 40 on the worse ones, the suspension is just too soft and leaves it wallowing in the bends and over the bumps so that it feels the rear is playing catch up with the front. It becomes unnerving at higher speeds, not feeling I'm totally in charge.

These are attributes that would make the set up ideal for off-road situations but unfortunately those are so rare the benefit does not outweigh the disadvantage on road.

So having saved a little, I had a budget of £2k ($2,600) to spend and started looking at various options including Fox, Radflo, Toytec Boss and the OME BP-51. Slowly I came to the conclusion that if I was going to do it at all I might as well go top spec with reservoirs and adjusters. (the last time I had adjustable shocks they were fairly basic compared with today's offerings but very worthwhile)

The trouble was here that set up came to over £3,300 however I tried to do it, direct from the US, via reseller, or via the UK agent, even the special offers came over by the time you added $500 shipping and then over 30% duty and taxes on the items and shipping costs.

Finally I found a deal and with the help of @amaclach the Fox Factory 2.5 with DSC fronts and rears for up to 3" of lift were purchased and delivered. All was looking good. Had to wait until I could get down to my friend to fit them for me but they sat patiently in their boxes on the back seat...All I'd done was open one box and have a quick look...all looked good.

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So yesterday was the install day.

Getting up at 4am I drove 150 miles south to my friend's workshop, stopping on the way to give Zero a run. Weather wasn't great, we'd be working outside since the workshop is full of motorbikes, but it could have been worse.

I had a rough 'schedule' in my head... arrive 07:30, fit the kit, Head out for a test drive and grab a bite of lunch... head home.... should all be straightforward. Rear springs have already been swapped for Icon 3" Overland.

Well this is the outcome.

When we opened the boxes properly we see that the rears have no DSC reservoir... :surprise... now what?

Oh we'll fit them anyhow, sending them back is not really an option and if they rid OK then it doesn't matter too much, they'll ride smoother than the 'Billies'... So those were done first.

Went on OK, the hoses plenty long enough to get the reservoirs out of the way of the wheel on articulation.... All looking OK so far (except for the DSC of course)...

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rears done... time for the fronts.

Left one first. Old TT removed OK, compared with the Fox for height.

Now the Foxes are clearly marked L and R on stickers on the top and we had this pic from the supplier on the install too....

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the Front left ready to go.... no wait... the hose is back to front.... Hmmm. OK lets swap L & R perhaps they go the stickers wrong.... then the collar(sorry not sure the right term) at the bottom are wrong way round for offset... OK that works, they're two piece and we can swap them round.

OK lets try again....

So they go on OK, as do the mounting brackets. But no way on earth do the reservoirs sit as in the above pic, hose too short, cracking off the joints and manipulating every which way we (Alan) could... no go... no way does it reach....

(sorry for the sideways pics...I'll fix later)

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK we'll think on the resi mount in a mo...lets do the right side.

Nope... the rear mount stud on the Toytec started to spin... would be the rear one, the one you can't see or get to... An hour later it was off, using hack saw, chisel and other 'weapons of destruction'...

So both sides on fiddling and persuading we managed to get the resi's mounted upright...

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No the hoses do not foul the UCA on full droop... but we did then find, due to the brackets only fixed at the bottom and flexing out mainly, that the hoses rub on the tires on full lock...

Thinking caps back on. It's getting dark by now. So here's the final solution at the front. Looks a bit crude but it works, no rub anywhere.

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So now a 150 mile drive home...

:mecry: OMG! the back end feels like it's rigid... every concrete joint in the first few miles of M25 motorway feels like you just dropped off a ledge and clouted the tail end!

The front feels OK, and haven't played with the adjusters yet... but now it appears I was sent Tundra rears not FJ ones... anyone got a couple of tonnes I can put in the back...

On a good note for the day, the covers I made fit fine, and Zero was a star, knowing we were busy he spent the day asleep on the rear seat. Until we got home at 11pm...when the saved energy had to be released in a game of 'lounge soccer'.

FJ will remain parked until I find enough money to buy the right rears.

·
Premium Member
10,864 Posts
Hiya S,
What a terrible tale ....
So sorry you got all this trouble...

I know you can get it sorted. Satisfactorily....eventually.

Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
So here's the final solution at the front. Looks a bit crude but it works, no rub anywhere.
Oh man... woman. What a trouble. :frown Sorry to see.

Looks like you should have a straight connector to the reservoir, now you have 90°. I think the hose and everything else is correct excluding the rears.

Maybe it’s easiest to just shim/revalve the rears and add new reservoirs with DSCs if you like to have them. But I don’t know is here in Europe any place which customize FOXs (other than bicycle shocks) and I assume you don’t want to learn it by doing it yourself.

I had to modify the mounting too, but my brackets were made for Tacoma.

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh man... woman. What a trouble. :frown Sorry to see.

Looks like you should have a straight connector to the reservoir, now you have 90°. I think the hose and everything else is correct excluding the rears.

Maybe it’s easiest to just shim/revalve the rears and add new reservoirs with DSCs if you like to have them. But I don’t know is here in Europe any place which customize FOXs (other than bicycle shocks) and I assume you don’t want to learn it by doing it yourself.

I had to modify the mounting too, but my brackets were made for Tacoma.

Yes! Well spotted that would make a big difference.

Yes there is a company here who can build them so revalve and adding dsc is an option I shall explore (they buy Fox components and build their own stuff for racers and custom).

Well at least my brackets are right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,586 Posts
Damn that's a bad piece of luck. I ordered overlanding springs with my BP-51 kit and had the same issue, so harsh I couldn't handle it. I put a swingout rear bumper and a roof rack on to add weight so the thing would smooth it out. At least my shocks had adjustments though, I really hope you can resolve this with minimal pain.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,586 Posts
Yes! Well spotted that would make a big difference.

Yes there is a company here who can build them so revalve and adding dsc is an option I shall explore (they buy Fox components and build their own stuff for racers and custom).

Well at least my brackets are right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The top photo looks like it has a 90 degree fitting behind the reservoir that's upside down. Are the Fox's meant to be mounted upside down?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
What if you’d rotate the reservoir about 45° anticlockwise and the connector more downward?

It maybe would help to get enough space for the UCA movements.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also, someone mentioned here recently, the DSC adjusters on Fox's only make them stiffer. If your rear is stiff already, then you will need a revalve to softer setting as well
Yes I saw that from @FinnJ. Interesting, seems to me to be a compromise.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually looking at the shop photo again (the one with the Camburg UCA) I’m not so sure that is a straight connector, bear in mind it comes out of the side of the resi on the DSC not the end.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What if you’d rotate the reservoir about 45° anticlockwise and the connector more downward?

It maybe would help to get enough space for the UCA movements.
Thats more or less where it ended up in the last picture. Believe me a great deal of time was spent trying every possible manipuation of the hose and reservoir.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Damn that's a bad piece of luck. I ordered overlanding springs with my BP-51 kit and had the same issue, so harsh I couldn't handle it. I put a swingout rear bumper and a roof rack on to add weight so the thing would smooth it out. At least my shocks had adjustments though, I really hope you can resolve this with minimal pain.
Mine rode fine with the Bilsteins, almost too soft, bouncing over dips in the road so I’m not sure it is the springs.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Actually looking at the shop photo again (the one with the Camburg UCA) I’m not so sure that is a straight connector, bear in mind it comes out of the side of the resi on the DSC not the end.
Yes, I can see it now too, you are right.
Believe me a great deal of time was spent trying every possible manipuation of the hose and reservoir.
I believe, but you don’t have a picture when you have tried to install it like in this picture:

Your hose is about as long as the reservoir, this looks about the same too.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts