Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yes, I can see it now too, you are right.

I believe, but you don’t have a picture when you have tried to install it like in this picture:

Your hose is about as long as the reservoir, this looks about the same too.
Hmm yes, no picture because we could not get it to go like that however hard we tried, it ws like the hose only wanted to bend the other way, as if it was on a twist.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I like the way you ended up mounting it. The resi isn't at the most optimal placement, but it clears and better than binding in the line in my opinion. My resi's line is twisted into place when the can is hard mounted. I don't understand that. Although it works fine, I'd definitely like the line put less pressure on a pressurized fitting. They look great so far.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,693 Posts
Mine rode fine with the Bilsteins, almost too soft, bouncing over dips in the road so I’m not sure it is the springs.
Nah I wasn't saying it's your springs only equating sh*t luck stories is all. :grin

There's no doubt it's the shocks, the pick you posted side by side looks like the Fox's are longer.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Nah I wasn't saying it's your springs only equating sh*t luck stories is all. :grin

There's no doubt it's the shocks, the pick you posted side by side looks like the Fox's are longer.
It could well have been springs if I’d fitted them at the same time so a good call. Yes the Foxes are about 1” longer but that would be OK since 3” springs and the Bilsteins were for the 2” springs.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well slowly getting all the info on my 'wrong' rears.

The Tundra shock is used to match the front in length as Fox don't make a 0-3" for the FJ rear. So the shock is right, (these guy's are building trucks for the desert so I trust they know what they are doing and there is no way they'd fit stiff Tundra shocks if they didn't work). I'm not 100% sure but it sounds like they swap the reservoirs from integral to remote to suit and the wrong one got used, (either that or somehow non resi shocks ended up in the resi part box).

Anyhow they are going to send me over replacement reservoirs and hose (connections different) so we can just swap them straight onto the shock.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Some pics of the rears. I'm trying to get my head around whether the shock body is too long and will therefore limit the travel. So your input please... how does the shaft length look compared to your set up? Bear in mind this is on +3" springs.

(sorry for the sideways pics, I seem to be having issues where it won't upload photos and when it does it rotates them).

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You should have more shaft in view than the distance between the axle and bumpstop.

What’s the overall length of the shock?
That's what I think, there are 5" between axle and bump stop and 4" on the shaft. Shock body is 14" long.

·
Premium Member
10,902 Posts
G'Day S,
Did the installer check the psi in all 4 resi's ?
what were they ?
I am wondering if the rear resi's are low / empty, and if this would cause the shock to collapse .... stopping the lift/travel ..so's to speak.
Can't see why the length would not work on your J
My King's have the following measurements
shock body 13 inches
exposed bottom shaft about 4 inches
travel 8.77 inches
extended 24 n a bit ..inches

not much difference to the Tundra foxxies... a bit smaller is all...

Hang in their mate,

cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks Baz

Yes that's pretty similar but the Fox body is 14".

I have yet to check the psi. We do know one rear is much lower than the other from the 'free rebound' when compressed by hand.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
So it’s sat for nearly a week and today I measured the heights again to find a big difference left and right rears. So it looks like the left rear (as pictured above) is the one with low gas as it sits a good couple of inches down. Here is the right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,902 Posts
So it’s sat for nearly a week and today I measured the heights again to find a big difference left and right rears. So it looks like the left rear (as pictured above) is the one with low gas as it sits a good couple of inches down. Here is the right

Hiya S,
In the pic, you can see the shiny part of the shaft, then its more muted.... the line between the two is the bottom of your travel I reckon, so about 1.75 inches worth...not much up travel left, and maybe why the ride was harsh, its topping out quickly when driving.... most likely due to low psi in the resi.... and this side has more psi than the left - which is lower .... so i am hoping that correcting the psi on both, will improve the position of the shaft relative to the shock body giving more range of travel....
fingers crossed.
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
So it’s sat for nearly a week and today I measured the heights again to find a big difference left and right rears. So it looks like the left rear (as pictured above) is the one with low gas as it sits a good couple of inches down.
Shocks won´t lift the truck, there is not so much pressure that it would affect. 2" lean is very much, maybe you are not on flat surface. At left side picture the axle was lifted by jack without wheel, the right side picture was taken in running order, so you can´t compare them/their dimensions.

There seems to be a built-in bump stops on the shaft end, that´s why the shaft looks shorter than it is. In my 2.0s there is not such rubber cones.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
My thoughts too and no its not on level ground but not that far out either. I’ll get the gas pressures checked and measure again on level ground

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yep it's been rather too long, for reasons mostly out of my control but I finally got this all sorted out and now have a great set up though I'm sure I shall continue to try different settings on the DSC for some time to come.

I was sent the correct rear reservoirs (DSC) to swap over at the rear so that meant we needed gas. There is virtually no one who does this except the Fox agent 4hrs drive away so ended up buying our own kit.

Swapping them over was straight forward enough. Also had to buy new joints as they are 90deg on the DSC and straight on the plain resi.

Measured the shaft extension at full droop whilst we could and fitted some boots too

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Next to address the fronts.

When we fitted them originally there was no way we could get the reservoir to locate vertically against the bracket, the hose simply wouldn't allow it. Now we had gas I thought if we depressurised them maybe we could manipulate the hose easier.

Well the hose was still pretty solid but we could loosen all the joints without getting sprayed with oil and managed to locate them correctly.

Cable ties are temporary, couldn't find the original hose clips.

So now the hose is completely clear of the tire and the UCA.

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So finally I have the set up I wanted. The ride is good on our twisting back roads and the FJ feels very taught and 'planted'. I shall be playing with the DSC settings for some time to see if I can improve on it and what works for off-road.

·
Premium Member
10,902 Posts
G'Day Sarah,
Well done mate..... great result...front n back.....
Mods rarely go perfectly to plan !!! :rofl: ... but its all sorted now

Keep us posted on how you find the ride ....

cheers
Baz

21 - 40 of 43 Posts