Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
best & worst cars for 2011. road test scores: 36 one of the worst, visibility: one of the worst, avoidance maneuver: 45.5 mph one of the slowest, reliability: outstanding, overall score: 36 (only the wrangler unlimited sahara was worse). owner satisfaction: very good.

so i guess we love are trucks warts and all. i know i do!

·
Registered
27 Posts
best & worst cars for 2011. road test scores: 36 one of the worst, visibility: one of the worst, avoidance maneuver: 45.5 mph one of the slowest, reliability: outstanding, overall score: 36 (only the wrangler unlimited sahara was worse). owner satisfaction: very good.

so i guess we love are trucks warts and all. i know i do!
The problem I have with those magazine tests, is that they seem to compare all vehicles to a Buick.

Ken

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
^^^haha, agreed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I for one am glad it scored very low. It will avoid the FJ ever becoming trendy like a lot of Jeepers or a status symbol like a Hummer. Thankfully we are mostly a limited bunch of enthusiasts that appreciate what the FJ really is designed for. I want it to be just popular enough to keep production going.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
If you have ever been to california you would know that the FJ is trendy. 75% of owners bought it and will never use it like the core group of SoCalFJCruisers! I know my truck has flaws, I would of been better off with a 4 runner, but the looks of it and the friends I made with it are #1 in my book.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
I read that article yesterday, which is almost a verbatim reprint from prior years. There needs to be a two separate categories; one for “Functional SUVs” and “Pretend SUVs”. They confuse the two.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
The problem I have with those magazine tests, is that they seem to compare all vehicles to a Buick.

Ken
You nailed that one! Those types of tests are like many other things in life, they try to bring everything down to the lowest common denominator. My view is this, if you want smooth, fast, 1G skid pad rated, fastest through the quarter, fastest through the slalom, then buy a 'vette or a Ferarri. Don't take an FJ out and have any expectation that it will perform the same.

Let's do it the other way, they should take the 2-door Spot econobox that gets 45MPG, and their ultra-safe Volvo that they drive at 38MPH with both hands on the wheel at all times (in the left lane), and see how they do mud-bogging and hill climbing! Lets see what those ratings look like!

·
Registered
792 Posts
If you have ever been to california you would know that the FJ is trendy. 75% of owners bought it and will never use it like the core group of SoCalFJCruisers! I know my truck has flaws, I would of been better off with a 4 runner, but the looks of it and the friends I made with it are #1 in my book.
I see a TON of FJ's in the NYC/NNJ area--I was driving to work yesterday and there were 3 of us in a row on the GWBridge...but you NEED an off-road vehicle for ON ROAD in NYC after plowin' season! I've ssen bigger ruts in the east village than the hills of west Virginy!

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
When SUV's are going the way of the 2011 Ford Explorer, of course the FJ is going to score low. It's a truck. Not a car that has been given a bigger body and a touch more ground clearance so that it can give the person the feeling of being able to go offroad, when in fact they should just make sure they have good recovery points so that we can pull them out.

·
Registered
338 Posts

Ken
How true....and they never really look at a vehicle's survival quotient in a Zombie Apocalypse....a category where we know our FJs would do quite well!:rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
'A leading consumer magazine'..?

I am slightly envious of your ability to remain polite. Some of us are not as forgiving that Consumer Reports seems to see every reviewed item in the context of a toaster. As much as the clothes we wear and the music we listen to, our choice of vehicle is a very individual thing and there are many intangibles involved. I realize that those intangibles cannot be quantified on a spreadsheet, but that's why automotive journalists wax descriptive. If I want appliance reliability ratings I'll ask Consumer Reports. If I want to know the sum of a vehicle's parts then I'll go elsewhere and, better yet, I'll go drive one.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mer-reports-fj-most-reliable.html#post1764032

:cheers:

·
Registered
477 Posts
... If i want appliance reliability ratings i'll ask consumer reports. If i want to know the sum of a vehicle's parts then i'll go elsewhere and, better yet, i'll go drive one....

Exactly!

·
Registered
369 Posts
'A leading consumer magazine'..?

I am slightly envious of your ability to remain polite. Some of us are not as forgiving that Consumer Reports seems to see every reviewed item in the context of a toaster. As much as the clothes we wear and the music we listen to, our choice of vehicle is a very individual thing and there are many intangibles involved. I realize that those intangibles cannot be quantified on a spreadsheet, but that's why automotive journalists wax descriptive. If I want appliance reliability ratings I'll ask Consumer Reports. If I want to know the sum of a vehicle's parts then I'll go elsewhere and, better yet, I'll go drive one.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...mer-reports-fj-most-reliable.html#post1764032

True it paints vehicles with fairly broad strokes (and although it wasn't recommended buy in 2010 I still bought an FJ) - I was unable to find anything even close to CR to peruse the field of choices and compare pros and cons vehicle to vehicle to help narrow my field of vehicles to look at more closely. I suppose if I went onto Edmunds.com or a similar site I could print out a bunch of individual vehicle profiles, but I found CR to be the perfect package for bathroom contemplation. Where exactly would you go?

·
Registered
477 Posts
'they call me the cruiser', You asked SWITAWI and I've decided to chime in as well.
Try doing a search in Dogpile on: FJ Cruiser Comparison Test.
Over the last few years, I've read tests that included the FJC in Car & Driver, Edmunds Inside Line and Motortrend. They did 'comparison tests' of 4x4 off road style vehicles like the Jeeps, Xterra, FJC, etc. They were more informative to me than CR as far as what I was looking for with regards to off pavement ability, ruggedness, etc.. If the FJ had been a recommended buy in CR's 'broad/generic' thinking, it would have given me pause.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
'they call me the cruiser', You asked SWITAWI and I've decided to chime in as well.
Try doing a search in Dogpile on: FJ Cruiser Comparison Test.
Over the last few years, I've read tests that included the FJC in Car & Driver, Edmunds Inside Line and Motortrend. They did 'comparison tests' of 4x4 off road style vehicles like the Jeeps, Xterra, FJC, etc. They were more informative to me than CR as far as what I was looking for with regards to off pavement ability, ruggedness, etc.. If the FJ had been a recommended buy in CR's 'broad/generic' thinking, it would have given me pause.
:bigthumb: This message is approved by SWITAWI. :lol:

·
Registered
947 Posts
If CR had their way, the best cars would be something like a camry or corolla...
The car enthusiast would swarm over the choice by deriding the models for their unassuming, appliance-like demeanor and lament the lack of passion in the vehicles...

Oh wait.
Meh, I vote with my dollars and there isnt a camry in my household :D

·
Registered
386 Posts
Going to Consumer Reports for useful information on cars and trucks is like going to church and asking where to find the best strip joints.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts