Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
First picture looks like the rope bit into the tree trunk. If that was your doing, you might want to invest in a 3" wide tree strap to minimize the environmental impact. I know that you would want to do the right thing.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I didn't think I wanted one ($$, inconvenience, etc.) until last week when a group of us were out wheeling and one of our FJ's got caught in a precarious spot.

I now know it's a must have on my rig. That or no wheeling. That winch saved a guy's rig from getting some serious battle scars, dents, and who knows what on its passenger side as he surely would have. And that was a mild use of the winch. I think it's a must have.

For your use, it looks like a real losing proposition to try and yank that tree out of the ground. I'd suggest that's what your chainsaw and oxtail might be better at. Just kidding about killing the tree! Tread lightly.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Kansas Law Dog said:
First picture looks like the rope bit into the tree trunk. If that was your doing, you might want to invest in a 3" wide tree strap to minimize the environmental impact. I know that you would want to do the right thing.
That begs the question: who would mount a winch on a 4WD without knowing how one works?

·
Registered
982 Posts
1983FJ60 said:
That begs the question: who would mount a winch on a 4WD without knowing how one works?
Lots of people. I know I don't know how to use one, but when it's on my rig, I'll get lessons from those I wheel with and the person I'm planning to purchase it from.

Before anyone is presumptuous, it's a new toy for Air and maybe he just wanted to play with it and post a photo.

I'm quite sure Air got the point a few people made. And I'm also quite sure KLD was just trying to help. For all I know, the tree was already dead, on his own property, etc. No need to flame on, IMO.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Easy on the guy, it's obvious to me that the marks on that tree or old scars, it probably had a wire fence wrapped around it 10 years ago, nothing he did...

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
JohnGalt said:
Lots of people. I know I don't know how to use one, but when it's on my rig, I'll get lessons from those I wheel with and the person I'm planning to purchase it from.

Before anyone is presumptuous, it's a new toy for Air and maybe he just wanted to play with it and post a photo.

I'm quite sure Air got the point a few people made. And I'm also quite sure I KLD was just trying to help. No need to flame on, IMO.
Fine then.

Winch tips:
1) you need an IN TRUCK winch controller. You don't want to be anywhere near the thing when it is in use
2) you need to raise the hood when using the winch. Better have your truck's body take a hit, instead of your skull
3) make sure NO ONE is in the path of the winch or vehicle
4) I ****ing HATE hidden winches, they make it hard to see if it's spooling and potentially wedging against the bumper and ultimately jamming
5) Use a snatch strap for trees
6) Anything capable of yanking a truck out of a hole is a vicious bad thing that can cut you in half, mangle your fingers, or just punch through your skull
7) Take care of your winch, make sure it is clean, the cable is not frayed, the connections, kill switches, etc. are in working order
8) Final tip: if the winch ain't working, don't keep jazzing it. You're stuck and just straining the motor.

Remember boys and girls, off roading is dangerous.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
JohnGalt said:
In the photo he ain't using it right.

It's not a toy.

It's a dangerous vehicle recovery device.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
1983FJ60 said:
In the photo he ain't using it right.

It's not a toy.

It's a dangerous vehicle recovery device.
1983 - Why don't you post a constructive message to explain how to utilize the winch correctly, instead of an attack message? Just a suggestion.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kansas Law Dog said:
thanks, KLD, but, odd as that looks, that wasn't me. That picture was taken before I tightened the rope.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
air said:

is this what i need?
Nice.

Really fun to play with recovery equipment by trial and error.

Do you want to see a winch cable snap and barely miss your windshield?

People like you scare the hell out of me on the trails.

And are also immune to any advice on how to play with their toys.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1983FJ60 said:
Congrats, you just killed a tree.
1983FJ60 said:

ok, dear hypocrites/Greenpeace hippies,
It was a DEAD tree. I just went outside and took a picture of it for you:

More to the point, wtf are you criticizing me when all of us here are driving a 16mpg suv? Evironment who?

I didn't realize I was supposed to take a lesson before buying a winch. Thank you for the "heads-up-your-a**," I'll keep it in mind.

And why did I, after all, have the nerve to get a winch without ever having used one before? B/c I kept getting stuck in my xterra and didnt feel like calling tow trucks anymore. B/c I liked the look of the All Pro bumper and decided to spoil myself. Do you know what that feeling is like? Remember when you went to the male bordello and ordered everything they had? Lest I judge you the same way you judged me I will stop. To each his own.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JohnGalt said:

I'm quite sure Air got the point a few people made. And I'm also quite sure KLD was just trying to help. For all I know, the tree was already dead, on his own property, etc. No need to flame on, IMO.
thank you John Galt

1 - 20 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.