Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
1983FJ60 said:
Nah.

Although the chances are remote, how he was using the winch in the photos could have resulted in serious injury.
coulda said it in a nicer way. there was no need for your tone in any of those posts....

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Here's a site.

It's not everything, but it's a start.

I still contend that it's a tool designed for trained off roaders and just because it's available to anyone who wants to mount one on their bumper, doesn't make it safe or a toy.

And since highbeams isn't around, I'll play the role of the angry old man.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
1983FJ60 said:
Fine then.

Winch tips:
1) you need an IN TRUCK winch controller. You don't want to be anywhere near the thing when it is in use
2) you need to raise the hood when using the winch. Better have your truck's body take a hit, instead of your skull
3) make sure NO ONE is in the path of the winch or vehicle
4) I ****ing HATE hidden winches, they make it hard to see if it's spooling and potentially wedging against the bumper and ultimately jamming
5) Use a snatch strap for trees
6) Anything capable of yanking a truck out of a hole is a vicious bad thing that can cut you in half, mangle your fingers, or just punch through your skull
7) Take care of your winch, make sure it is clean, the cable is not frayed, the connections, kill switches, etc. are in working order
8) Final tip: if the winch ain't working, don't keep jazzing it. You're stuck and just straining the motor.

Remember boys and girls, off roading is dangerous.

ok, don juan:

1) i have an IN TRUCK controller. it was ON THE GROUND when i was TAKING the PICTURE. i wasn't actually TURNING the WINCH on AND then TAKING pictures OF my OWN idiocy TO post ON this WEB site.

2) from what I was told if I dont have a metal cable then it wont snap back. so i boughts me the rope. more than that it was an EASY pull. level ground. zero effort. but i kindly thank you for the advice.

3) are you seeing things?

4) i love spooling. its one of my favorite positions. admitetly, i'm more of a "missionary" kinda guy, but as i've grown older...

it was spooling FINE. more than that, this whole experiment of mine lasted all of... wait for it... FIFTEEN SECONDS!!!!!!!

and dont come at me with "i ****ing hate hidden winches" when you see i'm clearly excited about having a winch. thats mean-spirited and doesnt make me want to spool with you. virgin.

6) thank you, Capitain Happy. Do you teach 4th grade with that smile?

7) Will do. You sound amazingly like a urologist speaking with an uncircumcised man

8) will keep that in mind. thanks, jizz.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
1983FJ60 said:
In the photo he ain't using it right.

It's not a toy.

It's a dangerous vehicle recovery device.
you're such a dork! i promise to learn how to use the winch if you promise to sell your suspenders.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
1983FJ60 said:
Nice.

Really fun to play with recovery equipment by trial and error.

Do you want to see a winch cable snap and barely miss your windshield?

People like you scare the hell out of me on the trails.

And are also immune to any advice on how to play with their toys.

if I scare the h*ll out of you then give me some candy. wimp. i'm actually quite friendly.

and if it misses my windshield then i'll be ok, right? i was told the non-metal ones weren't going to snap.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
air said:
2) from what I was told if I dont have a metal cable then it wont snap back. so i boughts me the rope. more than that it was an EASY pull. level ground. zero effort. but i kindly thank you for the advice.
It will snap back if the 'noose' you wrapped around the tree comes loose and the hook comes back at you.

Also, if you were told, you'd realize that a synthetic cable will fray and tear much easier than a metal one--especially if you wrap it around a tree like that.

Do yourself a favor and attend a trail event before you hurt yourself.

·
Registered
557 Posts
:popblood:

anyone else?

Congrats on the nice new setup air, do check some of the safety tips, winch pointers before really using if you haven't. Now then :hippy:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Snatchstrap.gif

Snatch Straps are necessary to not harm a tree. This is a snatch strap. They will help you out. I would spank you and take your birthday away, but I see that was already rudely done. So... with that. I say... enjoy your toy.

I don't think it's necessary to hassle someone as harshly as he was hassled over this, the tension on the line was obviously light. However, in other circumstances FJ60 was correct. With a metal line you can cut people in half, with a very tight rope you can cut people in half. If it snaps you can have issues. Utilizing the right attachments will lessen the chances of this occuring. You want fear? Fear is Motor Transport school in the Corps with some of the dumbest humans on the planet opperating 30 ton winches to pull out 5-tons with frayed steel lines.

Slightly less fear in watching air play with a dead tree.

That being said. Nice gear Air. Get some attachments. It's always fun to have more toys anyway.

Bigger images exist here... http://www.masterpull.com/item.cfm?itemid=16201

There's a right and wrong way to do everything - including reprimanding someone for an idiot move. This is supposed to be a community that helps people learn to do things right. Screamin' and yellin' isn't going to encourage anybody to do anything. As of late, seems many people have their panties in a bunch around here. Get some damn vagisil and handle your damn vaginitis.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Another tip-- drape something ( a coat, blanket) over cable-- Will slow down whip of cable if it fails.
What's wrong with a portable winch? I had a 9000# Warn on my Hummer and just the receiver showing... didn't change approach angle.. Just a thought.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
1983FJ60 said:
Here's a site.

It's not everything, but it's a start.

I still contend that it's a tool designed for trained off roaders and just because it's available to anyone who wants to mount one on their bumper, doesn't make it safe or a toy.

And since highbeams isn't around, I'll play the role of the angry old man.
i appreciate the info.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
rhettdog said:
Not a bad little kit, doesn't include a weight for the cable unless you can hook the bag itself on.
I use the bag or a shirt/ a coat or my favorite the one who is stuck donates there pants:bigthumb:

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Percy, oldawg, jkwhite (an honor to have your second post devoted to me), rhettdog, and the virgin 1983FJ60: thank you for your advice and tips.

as you can see by my posts I was in the mud today. did I try to winch there? no. why? b/c I didnt want to die. what did I do instead? I hooked myself up to a tree, a dead tree, took a picture, giggled like a little girl (girls and boys are equal, leave me alone), and came here for advice.

So thank you for the advice. Admitedly, the thought of spending more money on more stuff for the winch conjures up images of Borat discussing, "How you say, when a man do it with another man anus." But if I really am going to snap my head off doing this then what's a few bucks to keep it on my shouders, right?

I still dont understand how you're supposed to do it differently around a tree. I get it that the snach thing prevents the rope from wearing down AND saves the tree. But how are you supposed to tie onto the tree differently?

Why dont I just go read the nice link that the well-intentioned but exremely sexually frustrated 1983FJ60 was kind enough to share.

·
Registered
120 Posts
1983FJ60 said:
In the photo he ain't using it right.

It's not a toy.

It's a dangerous vehicle recovery device.
let Air learn and figure the thing out before he gets into a spot where his FJ needs it. I think it's a safe looking spot there where he is trying it out.

Ain't ain't a word.

blake

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
for the love of god it's not like Air put it around the constitution oak or his neck, the dogs ,little sisters or slutsvena...............cheez

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Air, the difference good sir...

You wrap the snatch strap - much thicker, and less damaging around the tree in a manner that leaves you both connectors or eyelets of the snatch strap free to connect to with your winch line.

I could draw a picture I suppose, but... well, it would be too huge to upload done in illustrator. Just come to vegas and we'll go play in the dirt somewhere far away from anyone who will yell at us.

·
Banned
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #39

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Stupidity. Only one thing on the list. It kills you faster than anything else.

21 - 40 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.