Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to take my brand new 2011 down to South Padre Island in a couple weeks. Nothing too aggressive, but would like to get her on the beach. I won't be hitting the dunes--probably just staying in the sand just above the water line and enjoying some of the "natural" beach away from tourists.

Any do's and don't's? L4 or H4? And clean with car wash sprayer when I'm done?

Thanks!.....Jeff

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I was down there a few weeks ago. There was a funky tide going on that changed the terrain that weekend. 4h works fine. I'd stay on the wet sand as much as possible. There is a set of tracks about 20 yards from the beach that you can also use. Momentum is your friend. If it starts to bog down, switch to 4L. BEWARE THE SOFT SAND near the dunes. I pulled several people out from there and dug myself out once. The easy way to check it is to walk it first... If your feet sink in over a 6 inches, don't attempt. It's more like powder in some spots. Take a shovel and a tow strap for such events.

The recent rain may have hardened it up a little. Other than that, have fun!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Keep in mind, sand is not the only thing you will be running on. Salt is also mixed in from the sea water. Running on the beach will accelerate rust on your rig.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I totally agree with Lane, I would add that if you do bog down (even in 4LO), don't panic. Most the time you should be able to back right out of it, provided you haven't been sitting stationary and spinning your tires. I would also add that if your tow strap has metal hooks on it, DON'T USE IT. That style is not intended to be used to pull a stuck vehicle out. That metal hook will likely launch itself and things get real dangerous real fast.

I haven't been on Padre Island in a few weeks. Last time I was there it was real soft, but not undrivable by any means. With the recent rain it could be completely different. Wash the truck real good right away and you shouldn't have to worry about the salt. Unless you are down there all the time and neglecting your FJ, I wouldn't worry about any rust. Have fun! :cheers:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I totally agree with Lane, I would add that if you do bog down (even in 4LO), don't panic. Most the time you should be able to back right out of it, provided you haven't been sitting stationary and spinning your tires. I would also add that if your tow strap has metal hooks on it, DON'T USE IT. That style is not intended to be used to pull a stuck vehicle out. That metal hook will likely launch itself and things get real dangerous real fast.

I haven't been on Padre Island in a few weeks. Last time I was there it was real soft, but not undrivable by any means. With the recent rain it could be completely different. Wash the truck real good right away and you shouldn't have to worry about the salt. Unless you are down there all the time and neglecting your FJ, I wouldn't worry about any rust. Have fun! :cheers:
Thanks. I don't own a tow strap. Where can I pick the right one(s) up before my trip? And, um, a shovel?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Tractor supply has everything you'll need. Good point was made on airing down. Makes the ride more pleasant as well. Take your tire psi down to 18-20. When you get back on the road take it easy till you get to the service station about a mile up. You can air up back there.

They charge $7 or $8 to get on the beach (access 6). They'll give you a trash bag. Fill it up and take it back to them and you get your money back.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I agree with what was said. If it is real soft, momentum is your best friend. Just don't let you FJ get bogged down. As long as you keep moving you shouldn't really need to do much else. Granted that doesn't always work. In that case, just follow the advice of those who have made the trip before. Have fun!

Micah

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
The trip to the end of the island is pretty cool. Lots to see. But it'll take a while to do. Pack a lunch.

Okay...I really like your photos, Lane.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don't think I saw this in the posts, but another good tip is to always park it on a slight down slope and never on an up slope no matter how slight it is.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Thanks detonador7, it was a great trip! That's a good friend and his wife in the pics. They came down from Indiana for their 10yr anniversary and had never been to a beach. We camped out there about 20 miles from civilization and they loved it. Hoping they'll move to Texas now! But they will be getting an FJ very soon!:rocker:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Keep in mind, salt water plus metal cars = cancer! Of the vehicle that is. I don't think I would put my fj anywhere near a salt water beach...just sayin!

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Most useful advice posted above! I would bring along a short handled shovel, tow strap and plenty of water and sunscreen. Just in case your stranded for a few hours waiting for help.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Always, always wash off the vehicle with fresh water after being down on the beach. Sand will be everywhere in and out of the vehicle but it will be worth it. It's nice out there on the beach. Just as another note, if your Transmission High Temp Light comes on just stop for a bit to let it cool down. Not a big deel so don't get worried about it. Several of us have noticed that the transmission gets hot running for long periods on the beach in the soft sand. You'll be at about 2500 rpm and maybe only going 30-40mph so not much air for cooling.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
And we say wash your truck off, what we REALLY mean is the complete undercarriage, wheel wells, and engine bay will need a fresh water rinse. I use a lawn sprinkler placed under the truck to do the majority of this. Let it go for a few minutes then use the hose directly for a few more. Easy day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts