Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed my air dam and lightbar with 4 PIAAs but so far I have been too intimidated to tackle the wiring. I was wondering if any wiring pros wanted to help out an electrical noob and walk me through the wiring in person. Let me know what tools and supplies I need (switches, fuse blocks, wire gauge etc) and I'll bring those with me. All I need is your knowledge and expertise. Of course I will provide the cold, refreshing beverage of your choice :cheers: from start to finish (of the project, NOT the Summit :lol:)

Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I can't be there to walk you through it but I can give you a very simple diagram that you should have no problem following.

First figure out where you are going to mount your relay.

Then pull enough wire to make the necessary runs.

The colors are not important but the positions on the switch and relay are.

The typical switch used is called a SPST or Single pole single throw meaning it has one input and one output.

The blue wire in the diagram comes from your fuse box and option A or B depends on if you want to be able to turn your lights on without the ignition on. If yes then you need to use a 12v constant voltage source or "always on" there is a fuse box reference around here in a few places. If you want the lights to go off with the ignition then connect to the accessory source.

The green wire is the "signal" wire that tells the relay to close or open. The relay is used so you don't have to run all that amperage through the little switch and potentially melt it. The green wire goes to post 86 on your relay. The numbers are standard for almost all relays. If you have different numbers tell me what brand and I'll tell you which post goes where.

The red wire from the battery to the relay post 30 is the main power source for your lights and when the switch is thrown the relay (just another type of a switch) closes and completes the circuit energizing the lights.

The red (or often white) wire from your lights goes to post 87 on the relay.

All the rest are black and grounded. A lot of people will run the light ground wire directly to the battery but I have never been fond of that so I typically ground lights to the frame (not the body more metal on the frame). All of the other grounds can go to the nearest convenient bolt just make sure you have good metal to metal contact. I highly recommend checking all your grounds with a meter.

Your kit should include two fuses, one for the battery to relay connection (it will be the higher amperage of the two) and one for the signal circuit (fuse box to switch).

Questions - fire away.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Wayne, I've seen your buildup and the fine work you do. I'll PM you with some specific questions.

Does anyone know if there is going to be a "wrenching" workshop or anything?? An hour or two on one of the days where we can get hour hands dirty working on the trucks with some help from the veterans? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
Hey Jeff,
no wiring guru here, but more than happy to give a hand :)
( well, at least the ones I've wired are and still working :D )
let me know.
Gerry

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
952 Posts
PINOUT:
Pin 2: Power Source
Pin 3: Load, the lamp, or 86 pin of relay
Pin 4: Ground (so the LED will Light up)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts