Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase a set of black baja wheels and tires from a 08 Tacoma. The only issue that I see is the tires are BFG Rugged Trail's in a 265/70/16. I see that most people that run 265's on a 16 inch wheel run a 75 series tire.

Will it be a problem if I run these tires? I realize that the speedometer will be off by about 2-3 mph and the overall height is about 1 inch less. I hope I won't lose mpg as that is the whole reason I haven't upgraded to all terrains/mud terrains.

Thanks for any help wheel & tire guru's!

·
Registered
505 Posts
It being a smaller diameter tire could net higher MPG. But as you said, will loose ~ 1" of clearance.

·
Registered
201 Posts
It's effectively the same as gearing down a little. You will see a slight drop in fuel economy because the engine will have to turn higher rpms to maintain speed. You will also have slightly better acceleration.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
X3, it isn't really a big deal, although your speedo might be a little off it shouldn't be something to worry about.:cheers:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
No problem. I switch back and forth from my 265/70R17s to 255/85R16s. The only concern is backspacing on the wheels themselves to clear the FJ calipers, but from and 08 Tacoma they should be the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts