Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A mechanics opinion of the FJ Cruiser

I am a 51 year old man who has owned my original FJ40 since 1977. I have been able to do my own maintenance. I have rebuilt and restored my own FJ40 as well as others for my family members. Is there someone who has evaluated/analyzed the FJ Cruiser from a mechanics point of view? I am interested in being able to service and maintain their own fj cruiser? I for one do not want to be obligated to have the dealer service or maintain it for me. In fact I don't even want other mechanics touching my vehicles, I don't trust them. What's this vehicle like for those who want to do it themself?

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
well, i cant really speak to how the FJ is specifically, buy i have owned and maintained a number of other toyota vehicles myself (88 4runner, 94 pickup, 97 rav4) and those have been really pretty easy to work on. granted, they are definately more complex and difficult to work with than a vintage 40, but with good mechanical skills and a decent understanding of electrical theory (and the ability to sort out wiring diagrams) they arent too bad. to me it looks like there is a lot more room in the engine compartment than i am used to seeing in a toyota, this makes me very happy as i might not have to invest in extra elbows on my arms after all... :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just get a manual and a OBDII reader and you will be fine. The service intervals are crazy long. I don't even think you replace the spark plugs untill 100K. If your serious about it buy the Factory Service Manual, these are way better than any aftermarket and will walk you thru any procedure.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
i would definately second that; the Factory Service Manuals are indespensible. sure, they are expensive, but they pay for themselves the first time you have to work on your vehicle. well worth the money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LRJ4X4 said:
Just get a manual and a OBDII reader and you will be fine. The service intervals are crazy long. I don't even think you replace the spark plugs untill 100K. If your serious about it buy the Factory Service Manual, these are way better than any aftermarket and will walk you thru any procedure.
Thanks for the suggestion. Ill keep service manuals in mind when I get my new FJ Cruiser.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts