Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Great idea and post. I don't see a problem with shortening the Hi-Lift except in the most extreme situations.

I missed where you put the handle so the only problem I foresee with your install is the location of the base. The rear of my FJ is usually pretty full of gear and having to remove equipment to get to equipment and then assemble it is a big hassle. If you happen to be blocking a trail, time is of the essence. I would keep the base in a bag with your other recovery equipment where it is a little more handy. I'm sure your idea will be utilized by many. :)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Love the idea - for my CJ, I keep the High-Lift in pieces, spread out, stored in various places... nice work

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gon2surf, there is that mesh net below the install that i put my handle in now. I'm considering doing a bar clamp mount to mount it next to the lift.

The lift connects back with two cotter pins, the lifting actuator slides on, then the base goes on with one and the handle goes on with another and all you have to do is undo those two wingnuts so I might say it could be close to getting it off your roofrack that might have a lock or something.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Good idea. Helps keep the CG lower and is harder for someone to "borrow".

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Maybe the mini?

Thats a great idea. It might be a little to bulky for me but the bar can be recessed in the two long cubby areas of the hatch door so it might just the perfect thing. I love the fact that its fast. I wanted the lift to not need any tools to assemble.

a couple more pics.

1) the bolt coming out of the door that holds the jack. It has a nut to hold the bolt tight and not fall back into the door.

2) painting the jack and hardware and wingnuts black.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I'm not cringing but one thing you may want to consider. A couple months back I went off trail and ended up with my back door up against a tree. I had to go in through the front door to get into the rear where my rescue gear was stowed.

My point is that more often than not when you need rescue gear, including your jack your rig will be in less than favorable position. This is the reason you will find most jacks mounted external rather than inside the rig. Just food for thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts