Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

261 - 280 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
This might have already been asked, but I didn't want to search through all 26 pages of this thread... Do you get any buzzing or rattling sounds from the sub after install? I was just curious.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
nice variation (the carabiners and protection for your speakers) on an old theme ... inexpensive and the best thing, easily removed for access to the total storage area ... Max is a great colour ..
:cheers:

2007 FJ Cruiser – Voodoo Blue - C Pckge – AT
Toytec Ultimate 3” Lift / Total Chaos UCA
285/70R/17 Michelin LTX A/T
Clazzio Seat Covers

Install Pending - ECGS 3rd member 4.56 gears / ECGS Front Diff 4.56 gears / ARB Front Locker / ARB mini compressor

In the Mail – DeMello Hybrid Sliders

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Nothing touches my sub, so no rattling. I do get jingling from the carabiners hanging.

Yeah, I made sure I could pull the whole thing out without any disassembly. You know, if necessary, I could take out the platform and strap it to the roof if I ended up buying a tv or something that I wouldn't want strapped to the roof.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread because I need some help. I don't have a sub and made my shelf one solid piece. I forgot about this thread and didn't thing to make it an accordion.

My question is, can I just cut it in half from front to back in the middle and use some hinges? I have a little time invested and dont want to start over.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread because I need some help. I don't have a sub and made my shelf one solid piece. I forgot about this thread and didn't thing to make it an accordion.

My question is, can I just cut it in half from front to back in the middle and use some hinges? I have a little time invested and dont want to start over.
Recommend you make the shelf cuts horizontally, see my install

Diagram with measurements from this thread included too

RollMeOver Application Support ? View topic - Rear Shelf

·
Registered
1 Posts
anyone know where we can pick up the original tubs from this forum in the San Francisco or LA area.We are from Australia and have bought an FJ and are road tripping for 4 months. Great idea and will be building in the car park of a some hardware store probably.

we don't have a mailing address so if can order/pick up totes from somewhere that would be ideal.

ESD Bins, ESD Boxes, Fiberglass Boxes, Stacking Containers, Tote Trays

·
Registered
11 Posts
I installed these bins and shelf recently in my 2014 Iceberg, works great. Was it mentioned on here where to install the power socket for a 12V ironman fridge?
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've always reviewed this forum since I purchased my whip, but just finally made an account. Thank you RR (OP) for this awesome setup.

I saw someone else ask about how it works with the Springtail MPACs. I have the Springtail Solutions MPAC for the rear door, with the large Molle STAT packs. My measurements show it'll be tricky to keep the teabagging (sag) from the packs high enough to clear the shelf when closing rear door. So, I plan to build my shelf to be about 3" - 4" less deep toward the rear. Hoping that's still enough room for the pooch to kick it back there comfortably.

I'm still planning on butting up against back of the seats, but it won't be held by the rear door joints. The D-ring and turnbuckles will work nicely to keep the rear of the shelf secure.

And since my shelf will be slightly less deep, I decided to go with a set of 25" x 18" x 9" totes for underneath. They are the 43 qt ones with lids, for only $15 each.
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/garage/storageBagsBoxes?productId=10027414&N=243

These may not hold 200lbs like the OP's, but will suffice for the 25 - 50lbs I plan to place in each. I will also slide in some gear/tent/doggie blanket in between the totes or on one side, since I'll have about 4 extra inches.

Anyone try this shorter shelf with MPACs?
Just curious if I'm missing anything before I start cutting.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah I built a shorter platform with drawers so there's room for the mpac. It has a folding platform with screw in legs that sit on the rear seats when they're folded down. I can sleep on it at an angle. It's cozy but works.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finished it late March, just got around to posting pictures. I'm super f'n pumped about this mod. I cannot convey how happy I am with this!!!

Have had 170lbs on top of the 3/4" board and no sag.

Do this to your whip, and thank yourself later.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,185 Posts
My question is, how do you get the shelf into the vehicle in the first place? I made a template out of some stiff foam board to fit perfectly back there, on top of the humps, and it won't even fit through the back door, haha. I'm guessing you have to cut it in half and then hinge it back together?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
My question is, how do you get the shelf into the vehicle in the first place? I made a template out of some stiff foam board to fit perfectly back there, on top of the humps, and it won't even fit through the back door, haha. I'm guessing you have to cut it in half and then hinge it back together?
You need a 3 piece (4 hinge) design

Rear Shelf in How To Guides Forum

·
Registered
40 Posts
One possible answer is to cut the deck shelf board in two, front to back, and join them over the space between the two tubs. Put a small peice of steel along one bottom edge so the other board has a surface to sit on, and make a "leg" of 3/4 ply to support the other two pieces that fits between the tubs.

Rick
or try a piano type hinge… it will allow you to fold it in half and remove it.:wink

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you look through the thread, the original poster showed a few of the steps. And there's a lot of discussion throughout the thread. Most of what I did was taking the best mods/methods from different users in this thread.

I know it's a long, so I'll try to provide the cliff notes here:

1. Make a template. I used cardboard, so I could fold it and bend where needed. This is the only step that was slightly challenging if you've never done it before. As someone mentioned earlier – art students are good at this stuff. I scribed the shape with a compass tool.
2. Once you like your template, transfer to plywood. I used 3/4".
3. Jig time. I jigged it to 1/4" smaller all sides than my snug cardboard – to allow for marine carpet thickness.
4. Contact adhesive and trunk liner or marine-grade carpet. (highly recommend a pneumatic staple gun). It'll save you a few dozen curse words.

You may need to adjust template depending if you have the woofer mounted. You'll notice the OP just had the one piece going under the woofer. That is simple and clean, but not quite level. So, you'll see I added another piece of 3/4" that went under woofer, and lag bolted to main shelf. PERFECTLY level. Can't remember which user posted that idea, but thanks. Worked great!

The turnbuckles are nice, but not imperative. I usually over-engineer just to be safe.

My shelf is one solid piece. I did NOT do hinges. I brought it in & out from the back seat. Put rear seats down, position board (gently and with a helper set of hands), then snap seat backs in place for testing final shape/fit.

My only recommendation is to take your time. Go slow, don't rush...and drink a beer.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
If you look through the thread, the original poster showed a few of the steps. And there's a lot of discussion throughout the thread. Most of what I did was taking the best mods/methods from different users in this thread.

I know it's a long, so I'll try to provide the cliff notes here:

1. Make a template. I used cardboard, so I could fold it and bend where needed. This is the only step that was slightly challenging if you've never done it before. As someone mentioned earlier – art students are good at this stuff. I scribed the shape with a compass tool.
2. Once you like your template, transfer to plywood. I used 3/4".
3. Jig time. I jigged it to 1/4" smaller all sides than my snug cardboard – to allow for marine carpet thickness.
4. Contact adhesive and trunk liner or marine-grade carpet. (highly recommend a pneumatic staple gun). It'll save you a few dozen curse words.

You may need to adjust template depending if you have the woofer mounted. You'll notice the OP just had the one piece going under the woofer. That is simple and clean, but not quite level. So, you'll see I added another piece of 3/4" that went under woofer, and lag bolted to main shelf. PERFECTLY level. Can't remember which user posted that idea, but thanks. Worked great!

The turnbuckles are nice, but not imperative. I usually over-engineer just to be safe.

My shelf is one solid piece. I did NOT do hinges. I brought it in & out from the back seat. Put rear seats down, position board (gently and with a helper set of hands), then snap seat backs in place for testing final shape/fit.

My only recommendation is to take your time. Go slow, don't rush...and drink a beer.
That came out great.
I need to stop saying I will build one and just go ahead and build it already.:laugh

261 - 280 of 317 Posts