Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

281 - 300 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Amazing stuff you find when digging through this great site!
many thanks to all that paved the way, and provided input.
Guy

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
That's a great idea, if you were to have a second sheet of carpeted plywood hinged at the end by the rear seat backs, could you unfold it to make a sleeping surface? I like the idea of removable anything that is not factory. I think some fastening method for the deck surface is still required when you consider how things bounce around when off roading? Nice work

·
Registered
532 Posts
I may try this soon. The Drifta unit from Australia looks nice, but it is over $1200. Maybe do this for $100 and see if I like it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone know of a company that sells the bins OP used that is not located on the east coast? I just went online to order 2 bins today. $140 for both bins and $70+ for shipping!!! Total was going to be almost $220 ouch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Anyone know of a company that sells the bins OP used that is not located on the east coast? I just went online to order 2 bins today. $140 for both bins and $70+ for shipping!!! Total was going to be almost $220 ouch.

I use these totes - I think i got them at Wal-mart or Lowe's, i've had them for 4 years, still good.

Attachments

·
Registered
532 Posts
I am testing variations of this concept with an eye towards a sleeping platform that will allow for modular storage and not requiring the removal of rear seats. Here are some test pictures. I will post final pics when done.
So, after some trial and error, I did come up with a pretty good prototype that is modular and functional without being bulky or hard to remove if necessary on the trail. I had to modify the original design in order to fit a 2007 OEM Sub Woofer box (another mod in the works to upgrade speakers/amp to make it sound better with my Kenwood HU) and I still need to work on extending the sleeping platform onto the folded down rear seats, but I have some cool ideas in mind involving redwood slats and maybe TRED or MAXTRAX and a memory foam camp pad.

The small Toyota Sienna cargo bins (Craigslist) are the perfect size and do not block side storage or the outlet. They can be placed under the shelf to slide out with the rear door open or can be set into the shelf frame to open from the top if you want to grab a cold beverage without opening the rear door while sleeping on one side of the platform or from the outside through the rear glass. The entire frame kit and slats are light, strong, and can be dissassembled for bundling and storage in the cargo area without taking up too much room. Here are the latest pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looks like Gilmore Kramer caught wind of the FJ Cruiser heavy usage for these boxes. Price is now $75 bucks each up from the mid- $50's.... DAMN!

I have been looking for a simpler solution to the rear storage of my recovery gear, and although many have described here some elaborate and handsome solutions, I have developed a simpler approach that took 2 hours and less than $150 to accomplish, and is completely reversible in seconds.

The system revolves around two fiber reinforced resin tubs. I found a bin that has a 200 pound capacity, is black, has straight sides, and is 10" high - just perfect for fitting under the elevation of the wheel well shelves from Gilmore-Kramer Company - Material Handling Equipment . The model number is 931000 and the cost is $54.68 each. Two of these boxes fit perfectly and leave enough room for access to the inverter. They fill the depth of the area from the rear seat backs to the door.

Next, a shelf of 3/4" scrap plywood needs to be cut to fit across the cargo area and sitting on top of the wheel well shelves. I templated the left side cutouts and scarfed the right side so the plywood was thinner at the edge to fit snugly under the subwoofer. I bought some "trunk liner" material from Automotive Trunk Liner "Black" along with some spray adhesive, and covered the plywood with the trunk liner material on both sides, taking time to wrap all the edges and placing the seams on the underside of the shelf. The shelf is held in place by the woofer, the tapered seat backs, and a snug fit against the left fender wall. Once in place, the tubs can be slid under the shelf like drawers, (without the hassle), and provide access to an enormous amount of storage. I hate putting stickers all over my rig, so my accumulated collection went onto the bins, and if I get tired of seeing them there, I can end for end the tubs. The tubs fit sungly, and the stock floor mat needs to be removed for them to fit - fortunately, it fits on top of the shelf just perfectly. It may be that in a rollover, the assembly would come loose, but I doubt it and generally try to avoid rollovers anyhow.

I have some pictures posted and will post the rest in a second post.....PM me if you have any questions, but it is so simple, most anyone can accomplish it with simple hand tools. Good Luck!

Rick

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks like Gilmore Kramer caught wind of the FJ Cruiser heavy usage for these boxes. Price is now $75 bucks each up from the mid- $50's.... DAMN!

I emailed them and they were supposed to be looking into better shipping prices after we spoke. I never heard back.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Found these. A bit smaller in length and width but a whole lot cheaper. Scroll down until you see the 43qt size boxes..

https://www.containerstore.com/s/storage/garage-storage-boxes/store-it-all-totes/12d?productId=10027414&country=US&currency=USD&utm_source=tcscompshop&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=google&cid=cse:PLA

I emailed them and they were supposed to be looking into better shipping prices after we spoke. I never heard back.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have 2 of the bins as the OP for sale in the DFW area. Local pickup only. $100 for both bins and can meet you halfway to deliver them if it is reasonable. I'm in the Flower Mound area. The bins are used but in good shape.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know this is an old thread that's been bumped along for many years. It is a pretty easy and economical solution to maximize rear space and the containers underneath were darn neat perfect fit. Since it was created in 2007, the 2 containers were a main component of it cost.
Even later years the were $70+ each, Usually no less than 10 and shipping super pricey for a plastic box.

Ok so I had always like the simple but I old of the shelf and had bunch of scrap plywood but before I began I looked hard for a good tub solution and finally found one pretty close to original and decent price. The quality of it is way better than expected actually- stout box. Holds a lot, almost fills up space but still usable space that is not. Front to back about 6"

I picked up at Grainger as prices are all over place online. They had best price and I have one 30min away. Shipping wasn't too bad added $15 and was still a better price than any others retailers.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Few more.pics

Totes are definitely commercial quality.

So here's to an original model from way back in fj days, still simple, cheap and done in an afternoon. Updated with easy sourced components. Is really handy for couple weeks i' ve used it.

Dog can still fit on top and some fridges with slide.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Last pic, if pushed in all way to rear seats u have about 6" of usable space

·
Registered
67 Posts
Did you ever post the dimensions for the plywood?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bump. Those original bins are crazy $. Seems like the more recent graingers are now the way to go. Has anyone found a better option recently?

281 - 300 of 317 Posts