Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

301 - 317 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Bump. Those original bins are crazy $. Seems like the more recent graingers are now the way to go. Has anyone found a better option recently?
pretty sure you won't find anything better on size and price than the Grainger tubs. not to mention they're tough as nails. I looked long and hard. they have worked well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
pretty sure you won't find anything better on size and price than the Grainger tubs. not to mention they're tough as nails. I looked long and hard. they have worked well.

yea i ordered 4 of the gray quantum storage tubs from walmart shipped for less than the price of 1 of the og black tubs. the black ones are really nice but plus shipping your looking at almost $100 per bin, for a box to store stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm thinking of getting the Front Runner Wolfpack bins to use for this. Has anyone used these bins? They are a bit shorter and narrower than the expensive ones the OP used, but appear to be a little longer.
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/storage-systems/boxes-bags/front-runner-wolf-pack.html

my .02 is if youre going that route just get some regular old storage bins. the whole idea of this thread to me is that the storage is a simple matter of pulling in and out different tubs depending on what ur doing. and you build the top piece and still have "trunk" space. for me im going to have a kayak tub, a saltwater fishing tub, and freshwater fishing tub and a misc beach tub. can still pack stuff on top of the shelf. pull the tubs out when you dont need em, spray em off with some water and refill.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the main factor in the original tubs is the size and that they fit under the platform, resting on the wheel humps and they maximize the space underneath.
the one above from Grainger are the closest to the originals- at a reasonable price. it's a plus that they're a heavy duty commercial duty container.

·
トヨタ Master
7,619 Posts
Bump. Those original bins are crazy $. Seems like the more recent graingers are now the way to go. Has anyone found a better option recently?
For the money, I'd still buy the Gilmore-Kramers again. I can't count how many times I've had them fall out on me with 80+ lbs in them and not so much as a cracked corner. They are fiberglass reinforced so they are much heavier than a standard plastic storage bin. I can turn them upside down and use them for stepping on and even criss cross them to get a bit higher if needed. I think if you had to, they would support the weight of a small car, maybe even the FJ with a piece of plywood on top. They're just brutal for the money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just completed this project on my new-to-me 2007 FJ.
My 3/4” plywood dimensions in the end were 51 x 27 3/4. And about 2” in, to get under the subwoofer, we chiseled and planed it down to about 1/2 “.
This was so easy! Brilliant! Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
I love my similar setup.

I left the plywood uncovered. I also have a rubber FJ cargo mat as well as the carpet and I keep a piece of scrap cardboard in the back just in case I have to carry some load that's messy. Being able to trade out surfaces as needed comes in really handy.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
What kind of crate do you have underneath? Can you take some pictures of that and share it here?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 Trail Teams
19 Posts
Great Job...

Thanks for the Post and the do-it-yourself info !!!...
Excellent job!

if you want to go a simple route and just need some tubs, I found that at Home Depot and Lowe’s they have plastic tubs for mixing Cement. I purchased two and they fit side-by-side nicely. They are tapered at one end so you lose a little bit of space but they’re nice because when they’re not being used they can stack inside each other, also handy if you have something messy and do not want to have spills. On a side bar at the back of my FJA I installed a trailer hitch and replaced the bumper fasteners with stainless steel to make them low profile and a better look in my opinion. I think you can also get them in black stainless steel. It works good for groceries as you can take in eight bags at once
Tub size approximately.
27 x 19 1/2. 5 1/2 inches deep

<>< <>< <>< <*((^(((><

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here are pictures of the collapsible box
The boxes stack and are pretty sturdy but will be looking for bins for camping, thanks for the tip!
These also fold flat. I don’t recall where I got them, but probably Amazon, took a pic of the label.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just completed this project on my new-to-me 2007 FJ.
My 3/4” plywood dimensions in the end were 51 x 27 3/4. And about 2” in, to get under the subwoofer, we chiseled and planed it down to about 1/2 “.
This was so easy! Brilliant! Thank you
Thank you for bringing this thread back to life, I cant wait to do this!

·
Registered
36 Posts
You are all very generous with your praise, but it is dumb luck mostly. I used to sell material handling equipment about a million years ago and I knew that boxes and bins come in all types of materials and all types of sizes and shapes....It was just a search for two or three bins that had the right size to 'fill the hole'! I got lucky with this find and the lady that sold me the bins was wondering why I only wanted two....I told her she might be getting some similar orders....but didn't tell her why.....bet she looses sleep if a couple of you call and order them...Nancy was her name.

The ply wood started at 52" x 29 1/2" but was shaped pretty good to fit the contour on the left, and trimmed in length to 'just fit' I also forgot to mention that I rounded all the edges with a router to make the shelf interior friendly when installing ( the rear seat backs need to be forward to install the shelf.), and lapped the seams close to the edges so there was some additional fabric under the shelf at the point of contact with the interior plasctic. When the shelf is installed the rear seat backs need to be slammed to get them to latch - holds everyuthing in place.

I think there is the chance I will buy two more bins...one will hold my sailing gear and spares for the sailboat, and one for camping kit.

My black Lab loves the space, and with the headrests on the back seat raised, there is a perceived barrier that Maddie won't challange....I prop the rear window open with a twisted figure 8 chain link in the latch and she has plenty of air.

Actually, I can see the shelf being used all buy itself for groceries, etc....

Thanks again,
R
Great job! Can I ask how thick is the wood you used?

301 - 317 of 317 Posts