Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking to get a set of tires and ill be honest they are [email protected]#k'n exspensive i was looking at bridgestone revos and even some bfg's but then i stumbled upon general tire's at2 and at $100 its very affordable they look like bfg knock offs so here is my question

if you have experience with these id like your opinion on them and general tires as a tire company

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thx roma that kinda what i was thinking but im gonna get some more info if i can cuz yeah im getting to the point where its getting kinda thin on the stockers

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
They are a good looking tire and people seem to like them. My experience (years ago) with General tires agrees with Roma, but things change. Ron

im looking to get a set of tires and ill be honest they are [email protected]#k'n exspensive i was looking at bridgestone revos and even some bfg's but then i stumbled upon general tire's at2 and at $100 its very affordable they look like bfg knock offs so here is my question

if you have experience with these id like your opinion on them and general tires as a tire company

·
Registered
135 Posts
also been looking into those... they look alot like the bfg at's which i love. Anyone running them on their FJ right now?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I would go with the Hankook MT if price is that big of an issue. Next ones I would recommend would be Nitto Terra Grapplers (8 ply) as I can get them locally for around 185 each... Then look at Kumho MT KL71........all are cheaper than BFG and I venture that the Nitto are a better all around tire than the BFG AT. Cant speak for Hankook and Kumho mudders but my brother has the Kumho MT and love them...

·
Registered
84 Posts
For price, you could try Mickey Thompson MTX. I got mine for $145 each. I've had Generals and had no problem with them. The Mickey Thompsons have a tough sidewall.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would go with the Hankook MT if price is that big of an issue. Next ones I would recommend would be Nitto Terra Grapplers (8 ply) as I can get them locally for around 185 each... Then look at Kumho MT KL71........all are cheaper than BFG and I venture that the Nitto are a better all around tire than the BFG AT. Cant speak for Hankook and Kumho mudders but my brother has the Kumho MT and love them...
oh trust me if i had the cash for the hankooks or bfgs or even the revos (these are the ones i want) id have em but the generals fit into my pathetically small budget

For price, you could try Mickey Thompson MTX. I got mine for $145 each. I've had Generals and had no problem with them. The Mickey Thompsons have a tough sidewall.
the mickeys are about $50 more per tire than the generals and at 136 a tire i can grab the revos that i want the fj is my daily driver and here in la and needs to not effect my fuel to bad or my road handling

but thanks for all the input guys i really appreciate it!

·
Registered
630 Posts
What are you going to be using the tires for? 100% highway? 50-50? And what size tire? Stock size? Whats your budget?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
70% highway i gotta get something that is good in snow my budget is 600 max stock size

·
Premium Member
1,017 Posts
just to drop a couple web sites

Edge Racing - Home
Auto tires, bridgestone tires, firestone tires, hankook tires, carlisle tires, cooper tires, fuzion tires

I ordered hankooks from edgeracing for about 160ish a piece, but I bought 5 285's. Good tire and not that much road noise from them. If you buy 4 I think the price is like 150 a piece for the size you want. Barley fits in your budget of 600 and a pretty decent all around good tire. I live in Florida, but I hear they perform well in snow.

It's going to be hard to find tires to fit a 17" wheel for cheap. 16" wheel price are so much cheaper in some cases. Hope those websites help ya out.

Take care

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Yeah 16" wheel and tire combo is the way to go for less expensive tires for sure....Definitely in my plan book. I had Hankooks a couple years ago and was not the least bit impressed with the way they wore. I got $40 a piece out of them on trade for Sport Kings.....Sport Kings were cheaper and were twice the tire IMO.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Check out the yokohama Geolander A/T-S. I was quoted $715 for 5 tires at American Tire Depot in Bellflower and $725 at America's Tire in Artesia.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thx for the help guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts