Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, granted it was a Lexus dealer... and he was looking at the front of my FJ (body matched Demello bumper, white bezel, silver steel wheels...) but come on...

Sales guy: "You've done a nice job restoring that Toyota. What year is that?"
Me: "Yeah, it was tough bringing that 2007 back... but after 9 months of hard work, she's looking pretty good"
Sales guy: "Oh, is that new?"
Me: "Yeah. It's 9 months old"
Sales guy: "Oh... it looks uhm... old."
Me: "Yeah, that was kind of Toyota's intention - I think 'retro' is the word they use"

He also corrected me when I referred to the GX470 as a Toyota... "It's not a Toyota sir - It's a Lexus"

·
Registered
387 Posts
Re: A restored FJ? Got a great comment from a dealer...

LMFAO!!!!! now that is funny...........

·
Banned
2,479 Posts

You should not be too tough on people like that. I mean c'mon, can you imagine how hard it must be to pay attention to minor details like that with so many other important thoughts going through their heads. Things like - Breathe in... Breathe out... Breathe in... and Left step... Right step... Left step... and the ever critical chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, swallow, bite, chew, chew, chew... :lol:

·
Registered
1,065 Posts

You should not be too tough on people like that. I mean c'mon, can you imagine how hard it must be to pay attention to minor details like that with so many other important thoughts going through their heads. Things like - Breathe in... Breathe out... Breathe in... and Left step... Right step... Left step... and the ever critical chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, swallow, bite, chew, chew, chew... :lol:
Only five chews? You need to chew more, you might get GI issues!

·
Registered
4,761 Posts

It blows my mind that all of these dealers know nothing about the cars they sell. Their job is to simply know their product and their competitors.... thats it. I know more about cars then most these guys and its not even my job. How can you even claim to sell something if you know nothing about your product. It be surprised if this guy even knew that the toyota is Lexus.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts

It blows my mind that all of these dealers know nothing about the cars they sell. Their job is to simply know their product and their competitors.... thats it. I know more about cars then most these guys and its not even my job. How can you even claim to sell something if you know nothing about your product. It be surprised if this guy even knew that the toyota is Lexus.
Hey, he at least knew that the GX470 was a Lexus model. I meancome on, give him that.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts

:rofl: It's just so sad that most of the time when we go to the dealer, we know more then the sales people.

·
Registered
456 Posts

Your a better man than me. I would have gone along with the restoration and showed him the features that they had back in the day. I even would have told him that I would have put leather seats on it but they had not invented leather back then.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I would have asked him if the GX470 is a Lexus, how come it shares the same platform/chassis as the FJ Cruiser?

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Even more scary is when you are talking with a "tech" (read psudo mechanic) and you know far more about the vehicle than he does.

·
Kajun Kim
5,489 Posts
Now that is FUNNY!

Kim

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I bet he was just pullin your leg!

·
Trail Snail
3,246 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

He did not point out that you should've kept the original solid axel in the front??

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:lol: :lol: :lol:

He did not point out that you should've kept the original solid axel in the front??
Oh, that would've blown his mind. I asked him if the GX470 used a solid axle in the rear...

Sales guy: "Absolutely. The GX is a very solid vehicle - very capable and built like a tank"
Me: "No. I mean is it independent like the front?"
Sales guy: " "
Me: "I'll just take a look.... yeah - no IRS" (that was to further confuse him)
Sales guy: "Should we take it for a test drive..."

·
Registered
283 Posts
When I was looking at Jeeps I told the dealer that I was only interested in a base model with a Rear Locker. The sales guy looked me directly in the eye and said "we dont sell a vehicle without door locks".

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
When I was looking at Jeeps I told the dealer that I was only interested in a base model with a Rear Locker. The sales guy looked me directly in the eye and said "we dont sell a vehicle without door locks".
:rofl::rofl: That is hilarious!! You couldn't even make that stuff up!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts