Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, returned from the middle east safe and sound, money is buring a hole in my pocket and I don't think I can wait until late march for the FJ.
I am sure some of you will be happy to note this but I feel a bit of remorse, I will be purchasing an Xterra in the next couple of days.
Thanks for all the info on this board it has been a blast.

I will give you all a chance to talk me out of it but I live in Vermont, it is freezig cold and I really need a vehicle now, not in march. An advice/ Ideas.

Look on the bright side, one more FJ for you guys. (anyone in vermont want my spot on the list, I am #3 at my local dealer with a $500 deposit.)

·
Registered
132 Posts
you couldn't pick up a beater for under a thousand bucks and deal with it untill March? Just make sure it wouldn't need emisions or inspection in the next couple of months and you should be fine. Unless you need a vehicle that is safe and you can absolutly depend on, that's what I would do.

But hey, its up to you man, do what makes you happy.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Fight the urge. You are so close - merely months away from an FJ. Why spoil it with something you don't really want. It's really not that long of a wait. I mean - we've followed the development of the FJ from the concept stages and now production is right around the corner.

Here's my recommendation: First, ignore cars. Celebrate Christmas, get good and drunk and sleep through most of next week so you will be ready to do it all again come New Year's. Then get so tossed that you are sleeping off a hangover for a couple of weeks and by the time you recover you will only have to wait another month.

It was a thought...

·
Registered
390 Posts
You will regret your decision, trust me. You are settling for a car you don't really want and you will kick yourself, hard, when you see the first FJC on the road in March. You won't be able able to dump the Xterra for anything near what you paid for it. Only 8-9 weeks to go!
Enjoy X-mas and the new year and buy a "beater" if you have to. You can do it!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
All the suggestions about holding off as long as you can before getting some wheels sounds best.

Percy's celebrating Christmas and getting drunk is a good start. When you get past that, call all the women you know and have them haul you around.

At least see an FJ in person at a car show before you give up on them.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Buy a cheap toyota pick up you will easily sell it for the same price you pay it when you FJ come in!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Tell ya what... I have a bronco in my garage that needs nothing to run, but needs to be smogged. So, you give me about a grand for my bronco - the interior is entirely duralined - and then you don't have to give up on the FJ, you will have a 4x4 that you won't even almost care about beating the crap out of for a month and then you can still get your FJ and I will have room in my garage again.

Plus, I'm in Vegas. So you can make a month of it. Come on down to the desert, flirt with a bunch of tourist girls, raise hell, cause trouble, then drive a beater back home that in a month you can toss into a lake without even caring about it. Or, because it's a desert truck with very little surface rust you can triple your money by selling a southwest desert 4x4 to a northeast buyer just because it still has a floor pan!

Win win situation there... Did I mention that brothels are only a half hour or so away... Now you can take care of those urges that are all built up from being in the desert!

·
Registered
378 Posts
mpd8488 said:
you couldn't pick up a beater for under a thousand bucks and deal with it untill March? Just make sure it wouldn't need emisions or inspection in the next couple of months and you should be fine. Unless you need a vehicle that is safe and you can absolutly depend on, that's what I would do.

But hey, its up to you man, do what makes you happy.
You have been in the Middle East for how long and you can't wait a couple more months ?!?!? WTF !??!

Stand your ground soldier !! Be strong !!

And by the way....Thanks for sticking it out over there and keeping my ass safe at home ;)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
That means I can draw unemployment, right?

·
Registered
552 Posts
Only on your Sunday job, the full time job of keeping the addicts happy and getting along is still yours.

Oh yeah I gotta ask the admins about that color poll.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
See if they'll let you be the moderator, too.... of course your a couple hundred posts behind and you'll have to devote a bit more time to slacking on the forum, but... it's not all bad!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
There is no pay, no salary, no benefits, no health plan, but you get to talk to cool people and you get to.... Uhmmm... there's also.... uhmmm....

Dang this gig does suck. How did I get suckered into this? I'd volunteer for it again I suppose. We have a wicked cool group of people on this forum. It's not like it's all that hard. Just step in on occassion when people are grossly off-topic, like we are now, and keep them on topic. You get to try and stop people from threatening each other's lives.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Seriously dude, stick it out. The sandbox Sucks, been there myself. dont take all that bonus pay you saved up and waste in on anything other than what you want, you will regret it. just like all the jarheads i know who bought avalanches with spinners with thier iraq money and cant afford to eat now...

P.S. can i be the "official" field agent in Japan? that sounds cool....

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
We'll see what we can do, boss... until then, play the part... see if you can't scam some information out of the local Toyota folks. That would kick ass.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
i shall commence to stalking.... i mean "gathering information"...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LRinDallas said:
All the suggestions about holding off as long as you can before getting some wheels sounds best.

Percy's celebrating Christmas and getting drunk is a good start. When you get past that, call all the women you know and have them haul you around.

At least see an FJ in person at a car show before you give up on them.
Umm the wife won't go for this one. ( I checked)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok fellas,
I thought of a beater and I have to make a call to a friend who sells em. It does have to be reliable but maybe I can find something, Uh thanks for the offer Percy, wish you lived closer, We are going on a cruise 1/7 so Vegas is out but bright ide is I won't need an FJ for that week :)
Does anyone know if there is going to be a car show up this way soon? Maybe Boston area? I saw the new Rav4 and it is too small (plus I have to wait until march for the V6 anyway) Maybe seeing an FJ in person would Bolster my reserves.
It's just I can get a 2005 Xterra OR loaded for about 26k out the door.... At least the wife isn't nagging me to buy something soon ("whatever you want honey") I know that won't last but isn't she great for now? :)
Thanks again fellas, anymore ideas/ support?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts