Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2 old fj's that have taken on trails for years. I've flipped , blown tries, drive trains, anything that comes with off-roading. So, heres my delimma...
Even though the new Fj is perfectly capable of doing everything it's elders have done, do I really want to take a brand new 25,000 dollar vehicle on certain trails? I've never had a brand new vehicle on a trail before. I mean swamp and mudd trails would be are great and tons of fun. But do any of you serious off roaders plans on pushing it too the limits ?? Don't get me wrong, I am going to buy this thing regarless. Just concerned. Anyone else feel this way ??

·
Registered
132 Posts
What difference does it make whether you damage it now or ten years from now? You are buying a 4X4 for recreational purposes, seems like a waste to not use it for its intended purpose. Remember the sheetmetal is there to protect the cars inards, it is meant to take some abuse. The first scratch/ding will be the hardest. I suggest that you park it next to a shopping cart return in a parking lot the day you get it so it gets all dinged up there, then you won't worry about doing it on the trail the first time you go out ;)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your right !! It's going to get to more than dinged up eventually (just like my old fj's). Might as well give it some character from the get go !!! Nothing like some good battle scars from the start... Okay, I have no Delimma anymore !

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Bubba, i commend you. you actually know what this vehicle is for and intend to usit as such. In spite of all this hoopla about marketing to enthusiasts, im pretty sure that at least 50-70% of FJ Cruisers will never be wheeled until at least the second owner gets ahold of it. 1) w dont all have enough money to run out and buy one the second they come out. 2) yuppies are going to see it and think "cool, i want one so i can look rugged and feel better about myself!" and then run out and buy one and put spinners on it because they have more money than sense.

I really hope toyota does what it claims and not do conventional advertising, that will give more of us "enthusiasts" a chance to get some $$$ together and save these from the yuppie scum.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I really get tired of the self righteousness of people regarding these types of vehicles. So what if I don't 4 wheel it all the time. I live in a city on the east coast and don't have 4x4 playgrounds all over the place. I plan on taking it to Paragon and Raulsch Creek for some fun.....when I can. I have 3 kids and other hobbies. And I make enough money and I am in the right age range to be called a "yuppie".

I have my Persuader next to my bed for WHEN/IF I NEED it. I don't bring it to any ranges to use it regularly though. Does that mean I shouldn't own one for my protection?

I'm not really pointing fingers here (I hear the same stuff on all the 4x4 forums) but it's like if you don't use the thing every weekend your not worthy to own one.

I'd like to own one to occasionally go offroad but I also want it for the "just in case" scenerio or for the multiple snowstorms we get. This is not an oversized, gas guzzling Hummer. It is truly an affordable and capable 4x4. So let the people buy them stock and reap the benefits and let the enthusiests buy them and mod them and go all out and stop with the yuppie and soccor mom stuff.

Whew, I feel better. I'm gonna step of the soap box now.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree 150% with you. Most of these Fj's will only see the thrill of some yuppie showing off to his girl by driving over the parking blocks at the mall. Theres a lot of 4x4's on the road that have never seen dirt or rocks unless you count gravel on the higway. What a waste.

Yes, it's still going to hurt seeing that first huge dent in mine (mudd trails in southern Ohio) BUt I'll get over it quickly. Probably the minute I think about how much fun it was putting that dent there !!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ToyBox said:
I'm not really pointing fingers here (I hear the same stuff on all the 4x4 forums) but it's like if you don't use the thing every weekend your not worthy to own one.

QUOTE]

Toy,
Its when you seen the Fj in a rap video lowered a foot with 24 in spinning rims is what we are talking about. None of us are mountain man living out of the back of a vehicle.The reason I hope anyone would buy this vehicle is have a purpose beside status (H2)
You obviously have FUNCTIONAL Uses for the vehicle. What started the contro in the first place was seeing huge H2s with no purpose but to just say, "I'm rich, and stupid for paying to go 9 mgp"

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
ToyBox said:
I have 3 kids and other hobbies. And I make enough money and I am in the right age range to be called a "yuppie".

I'd like to own one to occasionally go offroad but I also want it for the "just in case" scenerio or for the multiple snowstorms we get. So let the people buy them stock and reap the benefits and let the enthusiests buy them and mod them and go all out and stop with the yuppie and soccor mom stuff.
whoa, i totally did not mean it that way. i fall into that age/money range myself, but i dont consider myself a yuppie; its a state of mind, not a demographic. I have 2 4x4s, i havent been out wheeling in months, its not really about how much you use it, just that you do and intend to. when i get out of the marine corps i plan on moving back to Michigan so i know what you mean about he "just in case" factor. Ive got kids myself and for the most part i will most likely end up toting them around more that i wheel the thing, but i will indeed wheel it, just like i do the 4x4s i own now. does that make me a soccer mom/yuppie? no, because i didnt get them because i wanted to be cool and not have a minivan. i got them for recreational/utility purposes because i plan to use their capabilities, just as you plan to.

I guess the distinction shouldnt be between soccer mom / yuppies and enthusiasts; it should be between people who only want one because its cool (applies to any suv) and those who want one because they will use it.

I didn't mean any offense, sorry if i came off the wrong way.

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
bubbahotep said:
Toy,
Its when you seen the Fj in a rap video lowered a foot with 24 in spinning rims is what we are talking about. None of us are mountain man living out of the back of a vehicle.The reason I hope anyone would buy this vehicle is have a purpose beside status (H2)
You obviously have FUNCTIONAL Uses for the vehicle. What started the contro in the first place was seeing huge H2s with no purpose but to just say, "I'm rich, and stupid for paying to go 9 mgp"
Thats exactly the sort of thing i meant bubba, thanks.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
dmoore - I tried that. Doesn't work when you see 15 H2's and Yukon 4x4's on the way to work that are lowered sporting spinners...

I have to sit on my pimp hand for miles after I see those things just to prevent myself from being shot by a bunch of wannabe's for dragging them out of said vehicle at a stop light and knocking heads.

And, while we're here...

I too fit financially into the yuppy range, especially after this year and I don't consider myself a yuppy. No beemer. No trophy wife. No golf habit. I can't stand martini bars or martinis... I won't wheel it everyday, for the most part it will be the daily driver and it will become the weekend warrior. That is, if I can still afford to leave on weekends while trying to make the payment.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts