Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted a bike rack that is at least as strong as a Yak, Thule, etc.
I wanted a low-profile rack - not some crap stacked on top of the factory rack
I didn't want to spend the $400+

So, I bought a piece of steel ($11) two tube clamps ($20) and made a rack using a couple fork mounts (had these laying around... not sure of cost). I cut the steel, had a friend weld the ends, painted them to match the factory rack, bolted it all together...

The cross-bar is held to the tube clamps with 1/2" grade-5 bolts (Loctite), the fork mounts to the cross-bar with SS 3/8" bolts (Loctite)

The result is a rack that is way (!) stronger than a "store-bought" rack - I rocked the suspension by pulling on the handlebar... at about 1/10 the cost... and it is only 3/4" higher than the factory rack

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're the same clamps everyone is using to make High-Lift Jack mounts... I'll look for the website...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wanted a bike rack that is at least as strong as a Yak, Thule, etc.
I wanted a low-profile rack - not some crap stacked on top of the factory rack
I didn't want to spend the $400+

So, I bought a piece of steel ($11) two tube clamps ($20) and made a rack using a couple fork mounts (had these laying around... not sure of cost). I cut the steel, had a friend weld the ends, painted them to match the factory rack, bolted it all together...

The cross-bar is held to the tube clamps with 1/2" grade-5 bolts (Loctite), the fork mounts to the cross-bar with SS 3/8" bolts (Loctite)

The result is a rack that is way (!) stronger than a "store-bought" rack - I rocked the suspension by pulling on the handlebar... at about 1/10 the cost... and it is only 3/4" higher than the factory rack

Nice Mod! I am going to look into this...Thanks

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Looks great!!!:rocker: Well done of the install!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
221 Posts
now you can put your sweet bike up there to take to the trails....

:rocker: :rofl::rofl: :clap:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
now you can put your sweet bike up there to take to the trails....

:rocker: :rofl::rofl: :clap:
Dude... the suspension seat, the steep rake on the fork, that thing is all business!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts