Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok folks in my thread this, that and the other i really didn't tell you everthing i knew. i first wanted to get the ok from my source. i just got it.

prior to sema i called the folks at webasto/hollandia. they make sunroofs. i asked them to take a close look at the truck to see if a sunroof may be possible. as i mentioned in this, that and the other there are ribs on the roof. they do not however appear to be a big problem. they make trim rings for the ribs. once the truck is in production they will do an install for a local dealer and sell it to the customer at a reduced price for being the guinea pig.

i asked about the inside roof mounted speakers. don't worry about them. order your truck with them. any good installer should be able to move them somewhere else for you. piece of cake as my younger daughter would say.

suggest you check with your local webasto/hollandia installer shortly after they come out. happy trails folks.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Looks like just the ticket for Granger. Maybe me too. And all you guys out there wanting soft tops and worried about the rear windows not coming down, just get one of these. I wonder how much these things cost to have installed. I might call a local installer tomorrow to find out.

·
Registered
378 Posts
yoyoyo said:
ok folks in my thread this, that and the other i really didn't tell you everthing i knew. i first wanted to get the ok from my source. i just got it.

prior to sema i called the folks at webasto/hollandia. they make sunroofs. i asked them to take a close look at the truck to see if a sunroof may be possible. as i mentioned in this, that and the other there are ribs on the roof. they do not however appear to be a big problem. they make trim rings for the ribs. once the truck is in production they will do an install for a local dealer and sell it to the customer at a reduced price for being the guinea pig.

i asked about the inside roof mounted speakers. don't worry about them. order your truck with them. any good installer should be able to move them somewhere else for you. piece of cake as my younger daughter would say.

suggest you check with your local webasto/hollandia installer shortly after they come out. happy trails folks.

Is the reason for the guiea pig reduced pricing because Toyota wont honor any warranty on roof leaks. Or would this be covered bythe local installer ??

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Yup, that is the route I am going. Maybe not that brand but same idea. When I talked to my dealer they said that their installer offers the warranty and it is the same as Toyota's. 3 Year, 36K miles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same here...
FYI, my wife had her dealership recommended an aftermarket sunroof installer (may have been Webasto - can't recall), since it wasn't an option, and it came with a 3yr warranty as well.

She's had it about 18months now, and it hasn't leaked, or stained the headliner at all. Appears to be holding up nicely. I'd assume if you get a quality one, including a decent warranty, it should be a fairly safe option to pursue (aftermarket)...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
bubbahotep said:
Is the reason for the guiea pig reduced pricing because Toyota wont honor any warranty on roof leaks. Or would this be covered bythe local installer ??
any such warranty for an aftermarket sunroof would have to come from the manufactuerer of the sunroof and i guess the installer as well. toyota would not cover such leaks. i'm certain webasto/hollandia would not offer or waranty it for this truck unless it had passed their own internal tests.

regarding a guinea pig they would get a reduced price as they acceot the risk of trying it out on their truck knowing full well ot may leak. hope this clarifies.

fyi i told my contact person at webasto/holandia there's tons of folks wanting a sunroof for this truck. they're top notch in my humble opinion. you should all check out their panoramic sunroofs. they are huge, opening up over the front and rear of a vehicle. one of their panoramic sunroofs has two topslider panels with a fixed panel in between. i'm frankly hopeing this one will work on the fj. check it out folks. happy trails.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Just talked to a sunroof installer here in Houston - Texas Auto Trim. For the sliding roof webasto he charges between $1100-1800 depending on the vehicle. He said he wouldn't charge more or less for a new type of vehicle, but it would probably take a little more time to install. Normal install time is approx. two days. He works with dealers and provides a warranty through them, or straight to you if you buy it directly from him.

Oh and this might surprise everyone. He hasn't heard of an FJ Cruiser either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts