Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I recently picked up a 2008 FJC Auto 4x4 with diff lock and A-Trac. After checking with the manual I put the shifter into L4 as advised and pushed the A-Trac button. No indicator lights up on the dash. Any suggestions on what the problem might be? I appreciate any help.

Joe I

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi All,

I recently picked up a 2008 FJC Auto 4x4 with diff lock and A-Trac. After checking with the manual I put the shifter into L4 as advised and pushed the A-Trac button. No indicator lights up on the dash. Any suggestions on what the problem might be? I appreciate any help.

Joe I
You probably have 1 or more (there are 3) bad transfer case switches. You could also have a malfunctioning ADD unit (this engages the front drive when shifted to 4x4). If you can shift to 4x4 and get a solid 4x4 light on dash then it's most likely the T-case switches. This is a depressingly common problem on FJs and Tacomas. Search for transfer case switch and you will find numerous threads discussing this. The switches are in the $50-$80 range and are not too hard to change out if you have a 1-1/16" crowfoot style flare nut wrench. They can also be by-passed and instructions for doing so will be found in previously mentioned threads.

This should be covered under the 60k drivetrain warranty.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am able to get the A-Trac indicator light to go on when the trans is in 4 low. I read in the owners manual that it shouldo on when you put the shifter into L4. I am confused. should the light go on in either situation?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I feel so stupid! I was reading my 2008 FJC manual and just was not making the connection between 4L and 4 in the 2 W drive position(AT) I want to thank you all for helping this newbie finally understand how this truck works. Now I cant wait to get this bad TOY out onto the trail.

Joe I

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings from Ecuador South America

I have a '08 FJ (japanese) MT with diff lock. The problem is that my A TRAC light doesn´t light up....never... 4L or not....can someone help me? I´ve just noticed it a couple days ago reading one post in this site...I always thought that only pushing that button was enough...but there´s a light in the dash!! sorry I'm a newbie. Thanks in advance.
Ivan

·
Registered
16 Posts
A-TRAC Indicator Light not working - Resolved Fixed

:bigthumb:A few months ago I added a SPDT toggle switch to get the A-Trac working. It worked great till about 2 weeks ago. Anyways - in looking through the threads I read about disconnecting the battery to clear some computer codes.
Well .... I disconnected the battery for about 30 minutes and then re-connected it. And - my A-Trac light now lights up again.
Thanks to everybody who has posted tips and hacks.

Tom J
2007 FJ - auto 4x4 (did not have A-Trac switch - so I added a switch)
Looking forward to seeing how well it does in really deep snow with the rear locker and a-trac both turned on at the same time - like when trying to get through a deep snow drift...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well - The removal of the battery cable did not fix the problem.

The day I removed the battery cable and waited 30 minutes then reconnected the battery cable did result in the A-TRAC light working again. However that night when I went to test it again the A-TRAC light did not turn on again.

With further testing I found that the A-TRAC light would only turn on when my headlights were turned off
-and-
that the A-TRAC light would go out when the headlights were turned on again.

Thus headlights turned on disables the A-TRAC light
and headlights turned off enables the A-TRAC light

I do not have the Toyota A-TRAC button, instead I installed a simple toggle switch to what I thought was the correct two wires to short out to get the A-TRAC function.

So - my question is - what two wires (wire colors) ((where the Toyota A-TRAC switch is located)) need to be connected to make the A-TRAC function? It is clear I am connecting the wrong two wires with my switch.

Also - another question - It there a hack/mod to install a led light that can turn on (blink) when the A-TRAC is actually functioning when wheel slippage is detected and showing the computer is applying brakes to a spinning tire? I am thinking of making a hack/mod with 4-led lights which will indicate which wheel is getting computer applied brake action during the time A-TRAC is actually doing something.

·
Registered
339 Posts
First question, do you have the factory locker for the rear diff? If not, then no a-trac. The atrac light comes on when the button is pressed and off when the button is released. When A-trac is working, it's pretty obvious it's not subtle in the slightest, it's pretty aggressive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
First question, do you have the factory locker for the rear diff? If not, then no a-trac. The atrac light comes on when the button is pressed and off when the button is released. When A-trac is working, it's pretty obvious it's not subtle in the slightest, it's pretty aggressive.
I have a latter 2007 model.

I have the factory locking rear diff. This works like it is supposed to.

I did not have the A-Trac switch. I added a toggle switch from some stuff I had laying around. I suspect I am shorting the wrong two wires with the switch I connected to the plug where a factory A-Trac switch would be located.

Would anybody happen to know the proper colors or pin numbers on the factory A-Trac switch connector to close/connect/short-together to get the A-Trac function (when in 4-low)?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts