Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Q regarding A-Trak switch and function in my 07 FJ there is no A-Trak swith..what exactly it should do and isn't VSC enough to control and stabilized the vehicle characteristic

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I have Q regarding A-Trak switch and function in my 07 FJ there is no A-Trak swith..what exactly it should do and isn't VSC enough to control and stabilized the vehicle characteristic
A-trac is used in 4 wheel drive and for offroad use. A-trac applies the brake to the wheel or wheels that have no traction. So, therefore the force can be applied to the wheel that does have traction and will pull u through an obstacle. A-trac works best in dry conditions and in rocky areas.

·
Premium Member
6,497 Posts
My understanding is that A-Trac & VSC are two different systems but they both use the ABS system to accomplish their objectives.

A-Trac is purely a traction enhancing system that applies the brakes to any free spinning wheel.

The VSC system only kicks in over a certain MPH and when the Pitch and Roll sensors detect a problem based on the steering wheel input sensor. It assumes you are out of control (lost traction and not going in the direction you want) so it applies the correct individual brakes to attempt to regain control so that you don't roll over.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess in sand and very loose conditions diff lock will do better job isn't,
Is the A-TRAC is available on the 2008 models only? My 2007 FJ came with out it??

·
Registered
655 Posts
I guess in sand and very loose conditions diff lock will do better job isn't,
Is the A-TRAC is available on the 2008 models only? My 2007 FJ came with out it??
A-Trac was part of the upgrade packages. They are now standard on the 2009 (Canadian) base model.

:cheers:

·
Registered
192 Posts
You can buy the A-trac switch from your local Toyota dealer for like $75 and install it yourself in about 1 minute. The wire connections are already there. You simply need to pop out the blank and plug in the switch.

A-trak only works when your transfer case is in the low range.

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
ATRAC sure is nice when you need a little extra pull but don't want to risk tearing up your rear differential, like on rocks.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Oh so that means my FJ came with A-Trac, I have diff lock but not sure if A-Trac is there how to check it?
You will have an A-Trac button next to the 'RR-Diff Lock' button...

If you don't, then you can simply add the switch (search on the forum to find out how).

BTW, I'm talking about Canadian model, we only have 3 choices when it comes to FJ: Base, Off-Road & Adventure (all of them 4wd). All three in came with A-Trac built-in in 2009.

:cheers:

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Oh so that means my FJ came with A-Trac, I have diff lock but not sure if A-Trac is there how to check it?
If you have the diff lock, you have A-Trac. You probably just don't have the switch. Go buy a switch, thats what I did. One of my cheapest, and best mods.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Switch and wiring assembly right, oh how to install them
Nope, wiring is already there. Take a butter knife and carefully pop out the blank switch. Plug the harness(it is already there its just tucked in the panel)into the switch. Install switch in place of the switch blank. And that's it your done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts