Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Mtbcoach said:
I received my switch today from TRDsource, followed the directions on this thread and all went as planned. I took the whole thing apart because I added an additional 12v ouput to the back of the console for the kids to plug in their music/dvd/etc while travelling.

Don't make the same mistake I did by not replacing the shifter knobs to avoid scratching any of the plastic. That stuff must be really soft and those threads really sharp because I could swear that the two never met but I came away with a couple scratches on the switch console. Nothing serious, just take the time to screw the knobs back on just to be sure.

Thanks to all that took the time to find this nice add on.
Let me know what panel you scratched and Ill qoute you a price.

Matt

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Ok, after spending 2 hours reading these 2 threads, I have a question. What exactly is the difference between A-TRAC and the standard traction control that is already built in? Then there is the auto LSD. I have 2WD with (here's what is listed on the sticker) VSC, traction control, ABS with EBD and brake assist, A-LSD, and rear diff lock. Without pushing any buttons, I spun the tires in sand the the brake pedal started pulsating; it was braking the spinning wheel to give traction to the non-spinning wheel. So the traction control is already limiting the slip, which makes me wonder what good the LSD button would do for me, and (if I had a 4WD) what more does the A-TRAC do?
:confused:

Side note: Mine also has the plug for the A-TRAC switch in the dash, even though it's a 2WD. So that may help to confirm to some people that they do wire them up for all the options even if they're not installed, or have no possibility of being installed.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
If you have a 2WD, you can't add A-TRAC. It is esentially your auto LSD that works on the front drive axle too (in the 4WD) :)

Auto LSD limites the wheelspin on your rear axle and simulates a limited slip differential electronically (transferring power from the wheel that slips to the wheel with grip) TRAC, does the above but cuts throttle as well. Auto-LSD does not cut throttle.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
RoverGGM said:
If you have a 2WD, you can't add A-TRAC. It is esentially your auto LSD that works on the front drive axle too (in the 4WD) :)

Auto LSD limites the wheelspin on your rear axle and simulates a limited slip differential electronically (transferring power from the wheel that slips to the wheel with grip) TRAC, does the above but cuts throttle as well. Auto-LSD does not cut throttle.
So all this fuss is about that small difference? There must be more to it.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ridge111 said:
So all this fuss is about that small difference? There must be more to it.

I think the fuss is that in order to get a-trac on an FJ you have to buy an upgrade package that is $2000.00 dollars or so.

So for 43.19 + shipping and a simple install you can add the a-trac function.

Matt

·
Registered
254 Posts
MoabRat said:
Same here, no need to disassemble everything. Popped the cover off with a thin screwdriver and the wiring was attached to the back of the plate. Two minute install.
Just finished my install. :D

Thanks Kathie, jayazusa and all the other pioneers.

Pop off the blank,
unhook the plug attached to the blank,
attach wires to A-Trac switch,
put transfer in 4-Low,
put tranny in neutral and hit switch... A-trac light comes on.
Go in have a beer :)

Click Pics to zoom.....

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
trdsource said:
Let me know what panel you scratched and Ill qoute you a price.

Matt
Matt, I scratch the "switch cover" for lack of better terms. Not sure of the exact name of the piece but it houses all the switches.

Thanks again for your continued support of the FJ and this forum.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Mtbcoach said:
Matt, I scratch the "switch cover" for lack of better terms. Not sure of the exact name of the piece but it houses all the switches.

Thanks again for your continued support of the FJ and this forum.

55407-35090-B0
Retail is $114.58 Your price is $86.10...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was on trd source and could not find the a-trac part. What am I missing? I want to buy this? When I was on the website a long list of parts came up and I'm pretty sure I went through all of them and I could not find the part. Did you guys call in the order or is there a search function I did not see? I would like to buy from these guys since they sponser this forum and they seem to be priced the best.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Part Number 84988-35060
Part Name A-Trac Switch
Part Type Switch
Part Weight (lbs) 1
Part Manufacturer Toyota
Dealer Price $57.47
Discount Price $43.19

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
ericv said:
I was on trd source and could not find the a-trac part. What am I missing? I want to buy this? When I was on the website a long list of parts came up and I'm pretty sure I went through all of them and I could not find the part. Did you guys call in the order or is there a search function I did not see? I would like to buy from these guys since they sponser this forum and they seem to be priced the best.
The ATrac switch is the first item listed on TRD.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
ericv said:
I'm on it right now and the first item is "big break kit" There is no order to it.
You have to select 4WD, it's not listed for the 2WD. But there is no big brake kit listed anywhere for the FJ so you must have selected the wrong vehicle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Kudos to the folks on the cutting edge that made this so easy to install.
Now I just need to put the FJ on my jackstands to test it ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
So has anyone come up with any downside to this thus far? I can't really see one and I assume the truly paranoid could always pop the blank back in for dealer visits. Just curious if any real negatives had been identified.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Surfmobile said:
So has anyone come up with any downside to this thus far? I can't really see one and I assume the truly paranoid could always pop the blank back in for dealer visits. Just curious if any real negatives had been identified.
No.

Toyota can't do a thing about you installing a genuine Toyota part purchased from an authorized Toyota dealer to enable a system that has been pre-installed in the vehicle.

They can b!tch, that's about all, since you're in your legal rights to do so, and it's impossible for them to prove that activating a system the factory installed with a genuine Toyota switch caused a malfunction in the system, thus voiding the warranty. Now if you cobble together a switch yourself and short something out, or confuse the computer--you might have an issue, but as it stands Toyota has manufactured all 4WD FJ's with ATRAC, just left the switch out in some... Their problem, not mine.

What does interest me is what they plan on doing about it on the 08?

Will they actually leave off the ATRAC, will they make it 'standard' on all models and include its price, or will they do a better job of hiding the wiring?

But as of now you have a great off-road upgrade for nothing.

I want to see if this continues to work as the VIN numbers get higher.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Surfmobile said:
If you read all the material that came with your FJC, you'll see that it is a totally legal install because it's a Toyota part being installed. If you were dealing with a non-Toyota part, it would be a problem.

41 - 60 of 185 Posts