Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have been positive for about the last two or three years that a-trac is where when one front tire starts to spin more than the other front tire, then a-trac proceeds to give more power to the other front tire. Is this what a-trac is or am i missing something, because a friend of mine told me i was completely wrong?? I have you the search tool and cant seem to find anything.
thanks alot

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Yeah that's pretty much it. It doesn't send more power, it applies the brake to the wheel that is slipping. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
x3 on breaking the slipping wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Yes, the slipping wheel gets a little brake applied to keep it from slipping, and if the differential is still 'open' this allows more torque to be applied to the other front wheel that is gripping. So, assuming that you have an automatic, if you are in 4Lo ATRAC will function on all 4 wheels unless you 'lock' the rear differential, inwhich case the only remaining 'open' diff is the front and ATRAC will only function on the front wheels. Very nifty.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yes, the slipping wheel gets a little brake applied to keep it from slipping, and if the differential is still 'open' this allows more torque to be applied to the other front wheel that is gripping. So, assuming that you have an automatic, if you are in 4Lo ATRAC will function on all 4 wheels unless you 'lock' the rear differential, inwhich case the only remaining 'open' diff is the front and ATRAC will only function on the front wheels. Very nifty.
Good definition. Good to know. I've never really understood it either. Have had my FJ for 2+ months. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
almost, ATRAC applies the brakes fully and stops the wheel. traction control uses a lighter brake.
True, that. I should have been a little more clear on that point.

Dang it! There I did it again. I should have been fully clear on that point.:lol:

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
I had to use A-Trac for the first time this weekend while wheeling, the tires would slip and slip. Put the A-Trac on and it felt like that pulsing feeling when your ABS kicks on, but your foot isn't on the brakes when it's doing this.

Feels weird...and then about 5 seconds later you're unstuck. It's awesome.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
True, that. I should have been a little more clear on that point.

Dang it! There I did it again. I should have been fully clear on that point.:lol:
i learned a lot about these systems a few weeks ago when i was wheeling. i was told NEVER to turn the ATRAC on when going through water.

go's something like this: someone drives through water, wheels start to slip, ATRAC kicks in applies brakes to wheels, truck stops, cab fills with water, electrical system shorts out, everyone gets electrocuted and dies, park get sued, has to shut down, you are forced to wheel illegally, get caught by the cops, thrown in jail, you can't get your dream job because of your criminal record, life ruined because someone pushed the wrong button!:rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I had to use A-Trac for the first time this weekend while wheeling, the tires would slip and slip. Put the A-Trac on and it felt like that pulsing feeling when your ABS kicks on, but your foot isn't on the brakes when it's doing this.

Feels weird...and then about 5 seconds later you're unstuck. It's awesome.
That's ATRAC alright. Sounds wild as well. Works like the dickins, though.

i learned a lot about these systems a few weeks ago when i was wheeling. i was told NEVER to turn the ATRAC on when going through water.

go's something like this: someone drives through water, wheels start to slip, ATRAC kicks in applies brakes to wheels, truck stops, cab fills with water, electrical system shorts out, everyone gets electrocuted and dies, park get sued, has to shut down, you are forced to wheel illegally, get caught by the cops, thrown in jail, you can't get your dream job because of your criminal record, life ruined because someone pushed the wrong button!:rofl:
:rofl: Nice!

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
I think we know some one who knows another way to get stuck in water and have the electrical system short out.. however no one died in the process...:cheers:
I have NO IDEA who you may be referring to, nor do I agree with your claim that no one died...

:mecry:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
one more question. when you take the cord out that takes off the VSC in 2wd, are you able to use A-TRAC? because i was trying it today and it did not seem like it would go in if i had the cord unplugged? thanks

·
Admin
8,453 Posts
When you unplug the wiring harness to disable the traction control... you are effectively disabling ALL the traction control, thus disabling "A-Trac" (which is "Advanced Traction Control").

What I have started doing is, if I'm in the rocks I have the wiring harness plugged in and use A-trac.... but when I'm in the mud and want to play a bit in 4-hi I unplug the traction control.
(4-lo is geared pretty high actually, so you can just leave it plugged in and play around in 4-lo if you want as well. It will disable the traction control when you are in 4-lo)

:cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts