Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've parked in the same spot in our driveway for about 12yrs with my Jeep Wrangler- then I traded in for an FJ, and less than a month in, a giant branch fell from the tree overhanging our house. Turns out my wife bought no-deductable comprehensive insurance (which I never buy) so I guess I'm rack shopping today! Which is cool, because I hated the OEM rack's missing front crossbar so much that I'd already fabricated my own. Anyway, so now I'm looking at some flat racks, basket racks and this oddball rack that has a weird front step for some reason- all conveniently sponsored by insurance. Kind of leaning toward a GOBI, or Baja at the moment, but would love to hear some practical options. ARB has a contender too. I'd like to avoid a lot of noise or further impact mileage. I was also thinking I'd eventually mount a strategic solar panel for trickle charging as this car has significant idle current draw due to some security/electronics. I think the GOBI looks pretty cool but the practicality of a flat surface for construction (and especially a canoe) is hard to overlook.
Anyway- thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Wow!!! Glad everything was okay and nobody got hurt! I used to have the BajaRack standard basket rack. It was nice and carried a lot, but I did not like how the floor flexed and made contact with the roof. Due to a parking garage incident (not my fault), I was able to get the BajaRack mesh floor rack which doesn't flex at all! I've also attached a light bar to the front of the rack as well...can provide pics if needed.

It really depends on what your needs are. If you are planning on a roof top tent (RTT), then a flat rack may be the way to go. Also, it depends if you want to put lights up top as well...!

One rack that I would like to mention is Prinsu. They have an outstanding product as well. Lots of photos out there on this one. Good luck!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow!!! Glad everything was okay and nobody got hurt! I used to have the BajaRack standard basket rack. It was nice and carried a lot, but I did not like how the floor flexed and made contact with the roof. Due to a parking garage incident (not my fault), I was able to get the BajaRack mesh floor rack which doesn't flex at all! I've also attached a light bar to the front of the rack as well...can provide pics if needed.

It really depends on what your needs are. If you are planning on a roof top tent (RTT), then a flat rack may be the way to go. Also, it depends if you want to put lights up top as well...!

One rack that I would like to mention is Prinsu. They have an outstanding product as well. Lots of photos out there on this one. Good luck!
Thanks! I actually hadn't heard of Prinsu till your post but I like the look of them now- definitely a contender! Not super worried about lights, but I kinda like the basket look. There were a couple of dents relayed to the FJ top relayed by the impact to the rack but I managed to get a bar under the headliner and bend most of them out- probably going to leave a few style dents and instead spend some more on fun stuff like a winch bumper and suspension. That said, if a rack had a particularly large flange in the rear I wouldn't mind hiding those dents a little bit.

·
Premium Member
2014 TTUE - MT
266 Posts
Having had the OEM TOyota rack on my 2007 Vod-doo blue for many years I appreciate your frustration with it. On my 2014 TTUE first thing I changed out was the rack. I went with the Gobi Stealth Rack (link below) with the ladder and a few other accessories for mounting the hilift jack, etc. I’ve been really happy with it. These days I think the cross bars are removable - mine are welded and that hasn’t been an issue for how I use it. BOnus it fits in my regular Height garage.

One down side is the tubing is smaller (1 Inch?) so if you had any bar clamps on your old rack those will need to be replaced with smaller diameter units. In my case I added an awning so needed a revised mounting system but it was just a cost of doing business as they say.

I also heavily considered the front runner rhino rack. For me GOBI is a local Aurora CO company so zero shipping and they even did the install. Supporting a local guy was also a bonus that helped on a big ticket item like a rack.

Hope that helps. Glad everything worked out okay.

GOBI FJ Cruiser Stealth Rack

·
Registered
319 Posts
Man wishing still had it on there for a pic but ibwas hauling sheets of 3/4" plywood last night on my Gobi rack.
I love this rack its very practical and usefull its all mesh up top so I can stand on it if I need to. Probably not advised as I'm 220lbs but never had an issue.

·
11,938 Posts
Did you try this?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you try this?

Not till now! Thanks- very helpful! I'm leaning toward the Prinsu right now- seems like a good deal for a lot of versatility & style.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I’m running the Baja flat utility rack. I had one on my 2007 FJ and went with the same thing on my 2014. It’s stout (you can walk around on it with no flex) and there are plenty of tie down points, so it’s a great option for hauling materials. I made some mounting brackets with pipe clamps and quick fists years ago that work great for mounting items to the roof when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,416 Posts
Warrior Products Full Length flat rack. highest load rating of 1/2 Ton, lots of accessories available and the Roofnest Falcon fits on it perfectly

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm only just now discovering (having tried to pull the trigger) that nearly all of these are built to order (3-4 months!). Any suggestions for the less patient?

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you’re not picky about which rack you get, you might get lucky with local classifieds. SearchTempest is a good way to search things across multiple sights. Or of course if someone’s selling one on here in you’re area. As racks aren’t easily shipped.
But most likely your best bet would be picking one or two racks you really like and searching/checking with all their dealers to see if anyone might have one in stock.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The Prinsu site says 7-10 day lead time; not bad.

I just bought a Frontrunner and I'm impressed with the quality and fit.

Prinsu was a close second. I felt like there was too much space between the cross bars on the Prinsu as they are narrower. I ordered the FR before realizing I could have added a couple more cross bars to the Prinsu or I would bought the Prinsu. To me it looks sleeker.

Frontrunner just had a price increase which puts the Prinsu # 1 now IMO.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Funny enough I happened across the Frontrunner after my 1st post today. I like the Prinsu too, but I think I've sold myself on the mesh floor and/or basket features having now imagined more hanging out there with telescopes/cameras and my 3yr old. Seems like we'd do that a lot. Consequently, I'm shopping ARB, Baja Rack, & Gobi now. It was the Baja I tried to get today (and maybe I'll still buy anyway) before realizing the wait time. I really don't have an urgent need to have it- just excitement really.. I just need to work on my patience and we'll be all set!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts