Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally managed to get my URD SC installed, *RIGHT* ahead of a long-planned, unavoidable 2200 mile road trip.

I was...nervous. Even though I trust my installer/tuner, and he was up for several nights in a row fitting this job in for me, testing, rightening, checking for leaks, verifying connections, etc., I was still nervous.

Add to this that he and I had agreed to make a couple location/mounting mods for various components, in part because of my winch setup.

After 2200 miles, all remains fine. Driving was between 5400 feet, up to 8000 or so, and as low as about 4000, using the 80mm pulley.

We did have some "check engine" light issues (the Scangauge II was essential here, because it allowed us to a) identify what the deal was, and b) clear the 'fault condition' that had triggered the dash lights). We expect to be able to eliminate these occurrences through some tuning next week.

AFR was typically 12-15, but as low as 10.3-10.8 under heavy accell. uphill, throttle wide open, carrying lots of weight.

SC's effect was noticable when towing a trailer and loaded TO THE GILLS inside the FJ with two people. Once unloaded, the empty FJ (pre-final tuning, mind you) feels better than it did before I started adding lots of steel to the thing (full budbuilts, Warn front & rear bumpers, Warn Winch = something like 600-700 lbs).

Unless you're strictly a highway driver (well, and even if you are), and can afford a setup like this, I'd say go for it. Gadget & Brian are helpful, knowledagable, etc., and since it looks like the TRD is going to be a long time coming (IF EVER), I'd say bite the bullet and go for it.

spincycle / topher / chris

·
Registered
68 Posts
I would say it is a well designed kit. You get to page 54 on the install guide and the big bumpers rule out the prior 20 pages! But having done chargers from many companies for many cars the quality of the kit pieces was fabulous.
Any interest or questions give me a buzz.

I love a tuning challenge!

Now lets go to Joe's for coffee!!!! haha

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now lets go to Joe's for coffee!!!! haha
Yes!

Give me a call when you have a free moment, and I'd be happy to join you there for a quad-shot americano or something equally destructive.

·
Premium Member
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Note the proudly displayed URD sticker, soon to be followed by another on the right hand side:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts