Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost finished with my stereo install, but I can't find anywhere appropriate to mount the crossover under the driver's side dash. The passenger side was easy...I mounted it to the sheet metal using double side tape, just to the right of the computer (behind and to the right of the glovebox).

I cant figure out the driver's side though. Under the seat is out of the question, in case I take on water. Ideally it needs to be secured up and out of the way, hidden and secure. I'd prefer NOT to mount it in the door either.

Any advice?

thanks,

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I'm almost finished with my stereo install, but I can't find anywhere appropriate to mount the crossover under the driver's side dash. The passenger side was easy...I mounted it to the sheet metal using double side tape, just to the right of the computer (behind and to the right of the glovebox).

I cant figure out the driver's side though. Under the seat is out of the question, in case I take on water. Ideally it needs to be secured up and out of the way, hidden and secure. I'd prefer NOT to mount it in the door either.

Any advice?

thanks,
pop off the silver vent cover, there is plenty room behind there

·
Registered
534 Posts

Any advice?

thanks,
Ours is on a small platform under the driver's side seat.

Sorry for bad photo....I was taking a quick photo for insurance purposes and need to take better ones still.

Anyway, there really haven't been any issues with water but then we don't let the FJ swim in our swimming pool. :rofl:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pop off the silver vent cover, there is plenty room behind there
Unfortunately, not for me. All my light swithces/winch remote control and wiring are back there...no room left

Ours is on a small platform under the driver's side seat.

Anyway, there really haven't been any issues with water but then we don't let the FJ swim in our swimming pool. :rofl:
Its definitely convenient, but if I should happen to get a little deeper than expected when wheeling, these will get fried in that location. This is also why I have moved my amps from this location.
These crossovers are unnecessarily large...I don't know why the manufacturer would not make them as small as possible.

I think I'm gonna attach them to the back of the floor vent ducts under the steering wheel. I'll tape the damn things there if I have to!!! I'm running out of ideas and am getting tired of dealing with having my truck in pieces.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
what components are you running? If I remember correctly, there is some room way up by the 4x4 system and powertrain computer. Stick you head way up there. Why didn't you just run two sets of wires from the amp and mount them somewhere in the back?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what components are you running? If I remember correctly, there is some room way up by the 4x4 system and powertrain computer. Stick you head way up there. Why didn't you just run two sets of wires from the amp and mount them somewhere in the back?
Yeah...that would have been the smart thing to do. But im a stubborn bastard...and once I had my system mapped out, and all the wires run and secured, DAMNED if I would change it!!! LOL.

Anyway, I did get WAYYYYYY up in the dash area and found a place to stick it. Its outta sight, no alternator whine, and secured fairly well, so I'm happy. FYI i'm using the MTX TXC6.1 Component Pair up front, powered by a 2 channel, 300 watt amp. I have the headunit powering the d pillar speakers (MTX 4" coaxials), along with the speakers i installed in the rear seat area (MTX 6.5" coaxials).

Now i think I have phasing problems...I checked the polarity on all my speakers but the midbass is lacking. Also, treble gets a little harsh at points.

For some reason I cant seem to find the sound out of my stereo that I am hearing in my head. It is a vast improvement over stock, but still not great.

Sigh...this stereo stuff is more complicated than I thought!!!

As an aside--Briman I took your advice on an earlier post on throwing more power at my wicked cas sub...so things are finally starting to sound better there. You're right though...its seems to be a real inefficient design...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts