Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who are wondering, AAT, stands for Adopt-A-Trail. It's a program where volunteers help the forestry service maintain and keep roads open. It's a way to give back to the sport we love as well as making new friends. SoCal FJ Cruisers have adopted 3N59A and 2N06X. Though we're not a club, I'm very impressed with the unity that we've shown in our effort to preserve our sport.

We'll meet at 2N06X trailhead (2N06X and 3N16) at 9:30am. It's a bit difficult to find and I don't have the coordinates for it this time. If you don't know the area and would like to meet up first, we can meet at 8:30am at the corner of HWY 18 and Green Valley Lake Road.

If you don't want to take your FJ onto 2N06X, you can hitch a ride with someone else. Since 2N06X is new, we're going to work on it first.

I've reserved a cabin in Lake Arrowhead if anyone is interested in using it Friday or Saturday. There's also an area next to the cabin for camping. If you're interested in using it, let me know. I may do a run from Cleghorn to Arrowhead on Friday and rest at the cabin Friday night.

CADavebert is heading a caravan from the Demello shop in Corona at 7am. If you're coming up from OC, that's a great place to meet.

Picture of Luna Mountain Trail.

Pictures of Lower Larga Flats Trail.

Volunteers
  1. FJamming (3)
  2. Bigdouggiedoug
  3. Busta3396
  4. FJCruiser4 (2)
  5. MrBigAx
  6. FJC8871 (2)
  7. GSFJ
  8. Biff...
  9. CADavebert
  10. Jeshua
Maybe
  1. Butchiesrf
  2. Pinky
  3. Daehimeh
Equipment
  • Shovel
  • Ax
  • Lopper
  • Saw
  • Pick
  • Gloves
  • Hardhat (if you have them)
  • Chainsaw (if you're properly trained to use it)
  • Recovery gears
Bring also your standard off road recovery equipments.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I'm going to try and make it Tony. Want to ask Greg a couple ? to if he isn't to busy.

I'll keep an eye on the thread. :)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to try and make it Tony. Want to ask Greg a couple ? to if he isn't to busy.

I'll keep an eye on the thread. :)
Great :).

Do you need Greg's email?

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Great :).

Do you need Greg's email?
I think I have it, its nothing important just want to pick his brain a little. :)

So can I take my truck? :lol:
j/k

·
Trail Snail
3,246 Posts
Yeah ... it's my day off ... will be there!

My Yellow Pig hasn't touched dirt since .... since there were snow up there ...

What's on the agenda?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah ... it's my day off ... will be there!

My Yellow Pig hasn't touched dirt since .... since there were snow up there ...

What's on the agenda?
Great! :cheers:

We'll work on clearing the overgrowth on 2N06X and compose the annual trail assessment for both trails. I think we should start on 2N06X and head to 3N59A after. Those not willing to drive on 2N06X can catch a ride with others. We should have plenty of seats.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Great! :cheers:

We'll work on clearing the overgrowth on 2N06X and compose the annual trail assessment for both trails. I think we should start on 2N06X and head to 3N59A after. Those not willing to drive on 2N06X can catch a ride with others. We should have plenty of seats.
Fjamming, I can be put down for a maybe at this point, I will know more next week if I have to travel out of town or be here. I see everyone is "geared" up, but I am really a newbie and you can see the spec's to my FJC below. Do I need to get some extra "tools" before we go? I was thinking I needed a CB installed and at least a lift jack and compressor. What ye say?:)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fjamming, I can be put down for a maybe at this point, I will know more next week if I have to travel out of town or be here. I see everyone is "geared" up, but I am really a newbie and you can see the spec's to my FJC below. Do I need to get some extra "tools" before we go? I was thinking I needed a CB installed and at least a lift jack and compressor. What ye say?:)
Thanks for volunteering :).

You will be ok for 3N59A. You can ride with someone for 2N06X. I'll post up a list of tools and items we need for trail work in the first post later. What you should have is some recovery gear. If you don't have it, it's ok as I'm sure we can round up something when needed. CB should be installed ASAP.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Thanks for volunteering :).

You will be ok for 3N59A. You can ride with someone for 2N06X. I'll post up a list of tools and items we need for trail work in the first post later. What you should have is some recovery gear. If you don't have it, it's ok as I'm sure we can round up something when needed. CB should be installed ASAP.
Sounds good. Any list for recovery gear? And I would take any recommends you have on CB and an install shop in West Covina area or close by. You hav big cred, so your recom would be appreciated and taken face value.
:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good. Any list for recovery gear? And I would take any recommends you have on CB and an install shop in West Covina area or close by. You hav big cred, so your recom would be appreciated and taken face value.
:bigthumb:
Big cred? Don't mistake post count for cred! :lol:

For recovery, you should have the following at the minimum:
  • 2 4.5T (or greater) WLL (working load limit) shackles
  • 1 2X30' snatch strap.
  • Gloves
Since you're going with a group, we'll have Hi-Lift and other gears available. In time, you should acquire some of the following:

• Shovel
  • Ax
  • Tree Saver
  • Tire repair kit
  • More straps or a yanker rope
  • More shackles
  • Snatch block
  • Metric and STD tools
  • Knife
  • Chains (for recovery)
  • Bolt out
  • Hi-Lift accessories
  • Flash light
  • Survival gears (SPOT, blankets, clothing, first aid, food, water, etc).
  • Spare parts
  • Etc (Pull-Pal, exhaust jack, sand ladder...)
If I'm out alone, I'll carry more gear. Sometimes I'll carry everything you see below and a few more items.

The list can go on and on, but start to think about some of those things. When traveling in groups, you can talk to each other before the trip and coordinate what to bring. That will save significant space.

When chosing a CB, you should pay attention to the antenna. A good CB with a cheap antenna is worse then a cheap CB with a good antenna. There's a CB shop in Ontario that's pretty good. It's next to the TA (truck stop) at Milliken and I-10. Do some search on the board and you'll see quite a few different setups. It's really not too hard, but if you're not comfortable with it, take it to a shop. The antenna will need to be tuned for optimal performance.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hey Tony I'll be there, probably my son as well. If's it's ok we may need a ride or just meet up with everyone when you head for 3N59A.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey Tony I'll be there, probably my son as well. If's it's ok we may need a ride or just meet up with everyone when you head for 3N59A.
Go with us to 2N06X and maybe hitch a ride with someone. We should have enough room for you and your son.

Put me down as a maybe

·
Trail Snail
3,246 Posts
I'll wait 'til we get to the trail head of 2N06X to check it out and decide to drive or park it. Last winter, the snow/ice-covered boulders of the gate keeper made it almost impossible to pass.

I'm usually the slowest of any group ... yep, a snail on trail. :lookaround:

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Big cred? Don't mistake post count for cred! :lol:
:lol::lol:
I was going by the quality and consistency of your posts. I have seen you all over the place, and you seem to have your hand in it all. But okay, stay humble:bigthumb:

For recovery, you should have the following at the minimum:
  • 2 4.5T (or greater) WLL (working load limit) shackles
  • 1 2X30' snatch strap.
  • Gloves
Since you're going with a group, we'll have Hi-Lift and other gears available. In time, you should acquire some of the following:

• Shovel
  • Ax
  • Tree Saver
  • Tire repair kit
  • More straps or a yanker rope
  • More shackles
  • Snatch block
  • Metric and STD tools
  • Knife
  • Chains (for recovery)
  • Bolt out
  • Hi-Lift accessories
  • Flash light
  • Survival gears (SPOT, blankets, clothing, first aid, food, water, etc).
  • Spare parts
  • Etc (Pull-Pal, exhaust jack, sand ladder...)
If I'm out alone, I'll carry more gear. Sometimes I'll carry everything you see below and a few more items.

The list can go on and on, but start to think about some of those things. When traveling in groups, you can talk to each other before the trip and coordinate what to bring. That will save significant space.

Holy Crap! Okay, I have some work to do, my head is spinning. Thanks for taking the time to share the list and the pic. It's very helpful!

When chosing a CB, you should pay attention to the antenna. A good CB with a cheap antenna is worse then a cheap CB with a good antenna. There's a CB shop in Ontario that's pretty good. It's next to the TA (truck stop) at Milliken and I-10. Do some search on the board and you'll see quite a few different setups. It's really not too hard, but if you're not comfortable with it, take it to a shop. The antenna will need to be tuned for optimal performance.
Great, thanks for the advice. I know that area of Ontario, so I'll probably head over this weekend to check them out. I'll let you know how it goes!

...and FYI, I plan on bringing my 7yr old Son, I think I mentioned that before when we were discussing the 6/28 date, but just wanted to re iterate it.

Thanks again for your help!:cheers:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like I'm in.

Just how bad (good) is 2N06X? I don't mind taking a tough trail (just touched up about a quarter mile of granite scratches on the underside of my FJ), but I don't want to slow down the group if I need spotted through too much.

I may have a cousin or two with me.
The trail is a black diamond, but it's not as hard as say Holcomb. There are a few hard section as evidenced from the picture. I think with protection, you should be ok. It is always up to you. If you don't feel like it, no pressure. Since we'll be working on the trail, you can park it anywhere.

I'll wait 'til we get to the trail head of 2N06X to check it out and decide to drive or park it. Last winter, the snow/ice-covered boulders of the gate keeper made it almost impossible to pass.

I'm usually the slowest of any group ... yep, a snail on trail. :lookaround:

That Gatekeeper was a hard last winter. I've made it after the snow has melted. It's still adviced to have a spotter, but it's now manageable. I think a few more trip then I won't need the spotter. Slow and steady wins the day :).

:lol::lol:
Holy Crap! Okay, I have some work to do, my head is spinning. Thanks for taking the time to share the list and the pic. It's very helpful!

Great, thanks for the advice. I know that area of Ontario, so I'll probably head over this weekend to check them out. I'll let you know how it goes!

...and FYI, I plan on bringing my 7yr old Son, I think I mentioned that before when we were discussing the 6/28 date, but just wanted to re iterate it.

Thanks again for your help!:cheers:
In regards to equipment, I gather mine over time. Every trip is a little different and you'll find you need more and more stuff. Some things makes it more convenient, while others are must haves. Sometimes you bring items to help others. Don't worry about getting everything right away. Prioritize and wheel according to what you have available.

I'll have my 2 little ones with me. This is a scenic trail and a really fun one for those on foot. I think they'll love it.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
Sorry Tony pulling out Friday night for Utah and then to Colorado.

Hopefully the next one will fit better. I will not be available early to middle of October either.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I am in Tony + 1

1 - 20 of 113 Posts