Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Adopt-A-Trail: 3N59A

As the poll has indicated, most people would like to go back to our trail on 10/11/08 (Saturday) for our next trail repair day. Please head over to the AAT forum for more detailed discussion on when, what, and hows. We'll be divided up into groups to do focused repairs. There's discussion of camping on Friday and possibly Saturday. Weather should be great. We'll do some work and also hit the trails. Please contact mattmainster if you can't access the forum. If you are not familiar with the AAT program, please take a look at http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/socal-region/46966-socal-fj-cruisers-adopt-trail.html

Here's a link to a SBNF map with some trails highlighted.

Horse Springs Camp Ground will be our rally point once we make it into the mountain. The map of the campground is: Google Maps
34°21'7.58"N
117° 4'14.20"W

Detailed maps of the trail and campground can be found in CADavebert's post here.

We are meeting up at 9am at Horse Springs Campground.

List of people attending:
  1. Fjamming (cabin)
  2. FJDave
  3. GTKrockett
  4. AceTechno (maybe)
  5. BigDouggiedoug
  6. Oscarr
  7. Jeshua
  8. Pinky (Camping)
  9. Biff
  10. Muddygrrl (cabin)
  11. Cruiser4
  12. Hardluck
  13. raYGunn
  14. FJ-Piper (maybe)
  15. lemmy_K
  16. Moeses18 (maybe)

------------------------------TOOLS--------------------------
Here's a list of tools that I think we might need. Please help me complete the list.

1. Shovel
  2. Axe
  3. Gloves
  4. Trash bags
  5. Ropes
  6. Chains
  7. First aid kit
  8. Sunscreen
  9. Eye protection
  10. Saw
  11. Cameras (for documentation)
  12. Comealong/hand winch
  13. Hammer
  14. Tarp
  15. Wire cutter
  16. Post setter
  17. Post auger (anyone has one, this would really speed things up).
  18. Pick
  19. Grizzly bar/pry bar
  20. Sledgehammer

If we finish early in the afternoon, we'll run some trails in the local area. We can decide once we know who's interested.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good deal Dave. I started a list.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I might be in. I will know a little closer to the date. Is it 2wd friendly and do I need to bring a shovel to move rocks and such around?

·
Banned
2,998 Posts
I made it on my stock suspension and tires....you will have NO problems at all Larry. Bring your tools and a good, heavy set of leather gloves.

·
Trail Snail
3,246 Posts
I'm ready to get down 'n dirty on 3N59A on 10/11!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Woots. Larry, Dave is right. I'm sure you'll enjoy the trail. Do bring shovel, gloves, trash bags, and whatever else you think we may need.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Put me down on the list Tony.:)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I'm going to try and make it. So what is the plan of attack on this, what areas are we going to focus on?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm going to try and make it. So what is the plan of attack on this, what areas are we going to focus on?
I think we should concentrate on what we can do first then meet at the illegal hill climb. There are quite a few illegal side trails, fences, and signage issues that we need to deal with. Davebert has already identify them on the Google Earth KMZ. We can mark the trouble spots and have people sign up to volunteer to work on those spots. Some are easier then others, but we'll do what we can. In the future, we should document those specific areas and photograph them so we can have it on file. It would be great to have a detailed KMZ with pictures of the affected area. We then should update KMZ with new pictures of work that we've done.

The hill climb area is a tough issue and also one that needs our utmost attention. But once we've finished the other areas that needs work, we can better focus our energy on the hill. If we can have enough people to divide up into 6 groups (2-4 people per group) and work towards the middle we can get it going very quickly. There are a couple of kiosks that we can use and we can also work on ideas on how to best populate it. We can use some creative ideas there.

Please feel free to discuss.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Any idea on how we will deal with the hill climbs, I know we had a discussion going on about his a while ago? Also is the USFS providing the material or do we need to get it on are own?

I like the idea of a KMZ file detailing the trail and what needs to happen and the progress of it. Lets make sure some one does this during the work party. :)

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Toni, I will make the next one as I will be out of the state on this date. See you on the next date.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The hill climb is tricky. It's a wide open space that's going to be difficult block off. One of the most important thing to do is to have signage. Some people doesn't even know it's illegal. I'll try and see if we can get some signs from the ranger in advance. In addition to the signage, we need to identify areas where we can choke off the traffic and put some obstacles. The final stage would be reseeding the area with native plants. This trip out, I feel the goal is to take care of the smaller stuff first so we won't have to worry about them in the future. As we finish, we can all gather at the hill and start to look around for materials to use. It's going to need a lot of ingenuity and sweat. We would want to have a lot of people around for that.

Dave, do you have the hours for the last trip out?

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Are we allowed to relocate mature vegetation? Might be helpful to the process to move a couple larger shrubs to the hill climb along with reseeding.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are we allowed to relocate mature vegetation? Might be helpful to the process to move a couple larger shrubs to the hill climb along with reseeding.
I'm not qualified to answer that question. I know iCruiser is an expert in this field and that's a question best left for him to answer. I don't believe the ranger would object to it if we can do it so the relocation doesn't end up in killing the plant.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Toni, I will make the next one as I will be out of the state on this date. See you on the next date.
Be safe Mike. We'll see you next time. :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Ok so im coming and I have a few questions.
1. I want to camp friday night give me all the info on this please.
2. How many FJ are we expecting?
3. What kind of things should I bring with me?

Thank You,
Pinky

1 - 20 of 116 Posts