Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone ... I am going to be buying a new FJ Cruiser within the next two weeks. My car was totaled last week and I am ready to take the leap.

I am looking at manual transmissions which is amazingly difficult to line up apparently. I live in Columbia, MD (right between Baltimore and DC) and there are anywhere between 3 and 9 manual FJs within 500 miles (depending on the search).

Of those, there are several that I don't want just because of the color ... I am currently between 2 choices, both with Upgrade Package 2 and the roof rack - one 2010, one 2011.

The 2010 is army green and $1,500 cheaper than the 2011 which is brick.

From what I can tell, the only different is the '11 has a better radio (with an ipod usb). From people's experiences with the FJ, how much is a new year worth? How much nicer is the '11 radio? How easy is it to put an '11-type radio into a '10?

Anyways ... any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
schreier

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would go with the AG. You rarely see them too.

But...have you sat inside both yet? For the 11, I believe the seats flatten out in the rear, but could be wrong.

With all the traffic around this area, I didn't even consider a manual.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The army green looks pretty sweet, no doubt - what area are you in?

Anyone have feel for trade-in? It seems to really retain its value (I saw a 2007 w/ 74k mileage still for $21k)

Thanks again
schreier

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was debating 2010 or 2011 before buying my 2010 about a week ago. To me the usb and bluetooth were not worth the additional money. I didn't try out the sound system, but I didn't like the fact that the subwoofer on/off switch no longer existed. I also was not a fan of the 2011 rims.

I am completely satisfied with the 2010 sound system so I would say save the $1500 unless you are in love with the new features

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have the 2010 with the fjammer with the 9 speaker setup, if you are a music guy then I would not worry about the new "better" radio. They all sound like the south bound end of a north bound mule smells!! The reason I say this is because with any manufacturer the radio and speakers are more than likely one of the last things on the ole to-do list, therefore most steels that come with the cars, even the premium systems, all have sub-par components. The speakers in the FJ are paper and have magnets the size walnuts, the head unit pushes 25 watts peak power, that's only if the stereo is turned all the way up, and only handles limited frequency reproduction, this means it sounds of the poop. I would recommend replacing your speakers and head unit with after market ones. That was the second thing I did!!
As far as the rest, pickers preference!!! Have fun with it and don't forget to get her dirty every now and then, it's in the manual!!!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
AG AG AG AG AG AG!Do you think there is a trend here? For the savings you can upgrade the stereo!

·
Registered
7 Posts
my .02 .....

I really like the Army Green and the previous posters are right on for the extra money you could upgrade the stereo (say navigation). I would have picked the AG if I bought new but got a sweet deal on an 08 Maroon color with warn winch and bumper already attached.

Congrats on the upcoming purchase, you can't go wrong either way. I've had mine a month and have had ZERO buyers remorse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So people love the army green ... I gotta agree ... I've seen some pics that make it look a little dark - forest or kelly green almost ... other's that look olive drab ... from owners, which is more accurate? It is like the WWII army color, right? (which is what I'm hoping)

Also - seems like a consensus that the newer model year does not have a lot of value with the FJ between the '10 and '11 - correct?

Thanks!

I'll post pics when I get it

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Since you are unable to purchase Black Cherry, I would go green. My son is real audio freak and would tell you that Halseon has very valid points. For my tone deaf ears,it doesn't matter. When I blacked out my mirrors I saw first hand how cheap the speakers really are. My son wants me to upgrade my system. It would be easier to change the audio system than it would be color,so go with the color you like. Other mods are a question of time and funds.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
WELCOME!:wave:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I went with the 11. I love the blue tooth conectivity for my I phone. It's really kinda cool to listen to the iphone though the truck from 30 yards away while etc. As for the trade in value, in the first 5 years it's gotta be worth atleast a grand or more. As far as wheels and tires I've already gotten a second set for off roading.

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the advice ... I'm pretty well settled on the green at this point ... here are the options on it:

Convenience Package: ....................... 2275.00
Remote Keyless Entry System, Cruise ........
Control, Power Outside Mirrors with ........
Illuminated Markers, Rear Privacy Glass, ...
Rear Wiper, Backup Camera Linked to an .....
Electrochromic Mirror with Integrated ......
Backup Camera Monitor, Spare Tire Cover ....
Upgrade Package #2: ........................ 2310.00
17-in. 6-Spoke Aluminum Alloy Wheels with ..
P265/70R17 Tires and Full Size Spare, ......
Active Traction Control, Locking Rear ......
Differential, 115V AC Power Outlet, ........
AM/FM/MP3 6-Disc CD Changer w/ 9 Speakers ..
(Includes Subwoofer with Off Switch) and ...
Aux Audio Jack, Exterior Color-Keyed Door ..
Trim Inserts, Multi-Information Display ....
Floating Ball Type (Inclinometer, Compass, .
Temperature), Leather-wrapped Steering .....
Wheel with Integrated Audio Controls, Rear .
Intuitive Parking Assist Sonar .............
Rock Rails ................................. 575.00
Carpet Floor Mats & Cargo Mat .............. 199.00

Any recommendations? Can't pick and choose since it comes as is ... I think I want a roof rack - but I should be able to add that at any point I assume (like $500-$700?)

Anything missing that is significant or material?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just an update; I have put a deposit on the car and will be picking it up either this weekend or next.

I am trying to get them to install a Toyota roof rack this week before I pick it up - should I just wait or does it make sense for them to do it?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Do you need a roof rack?

I'm glad mine didn't come with, just personal preference.

Congrats on the purchase.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts