Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Just installed a Yakima LockNLoad Platform (84x49") using Rhino Rack Backbone as the base. Im very happy with this combo. The support slats run east/west instead of north/south, and this makes the Yak way better for attaching ski racks, roof tents, etc.

I had to modify the front and rear mounts by chopping ~3" off one end. I got the idea of this modification by reviewing the Yakima Australia technical install notes for the FJ.

Would love to see a 84x54" -- this may be a better size for the FJ roof, but the Rhino Pioneer 84x56" looked way too big from the rear.

Mounting a Yakima FatCat 6 Evo using the SmarT-Slot Kit was a breeze. Easily fits two snowboards and two pairs of skis, four snowboards, or six pairs of skis.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey! Fellow CO FJ here up in Fort Collins. Did you trade out your RhinoRack Pioneer for the Yakima Platform? Just curious about your choice in this. I have a Pioneer sitting in my gear room waiting to be installed and plan to use a RTT on it in summer time.

How long did it take you to install the backbone?

-Ryan

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Did you trade out your RhinoRack Pioneer for the Yakima Platform?

How long did it take you to install the backbone?
Yes, see previous post here with the Yakima pictured.

Took me ~30min to remove factory rack and ~1hr to install Backbone, another ~2hrs to build the new platform, test fit, modify brackets, install. I like it a lot, doesnt make a bit of noise and is very solid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just installed a Yakima LockNLoad Platform (84x49") using Rhino Rack Backbone as the base. Im very happy with this combo. The support slats run east/west instead of north/south, and this makes the Yak way better for attaching ski racks, roof tents, etc.

I had to modify the front and rear mounts by chopping ~3" off one end. I got the idea of this modification by reviewing the Yakima Australia technical install notes for the FJ.

Would love to see a 84x54" -- this may be a better size for the FJ roof, but the Rhino Pioneer 84x56" looked way too big from the rear.

Mounting a Yakima FatCat 6 Evo using the SmarT-Slot Kit was a breeze. Easily fits two snowboards and two pairs of skis, four snowboards, or six pairs of skis.

View attachment 1118000
Do you have a link to the install notes from Australia?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Do you have a link to the install notes from Australia?
Go to yakima.com.au and put in FJ cruiser, fixed points. Look for the LocknLoad Platform, then the PDF for part # 8000371. The “short mounting blocks” are effectively the blocks that come with the US platform cut down about 3” on one side. I can snap some pics but its pretty easy to figure it out from this guide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go to yakima.com.au and put in FJ cruiser, fixed points. Look for the LocknLoad Platform, then the PDF for part # 8000371. The “short mounting blocks” are effectively the blocks that come with the US platform cut down about 3” on one side. I can snap some pics but its pretty easy to figure it out from this guide.
Thank you!
So it looks like I just need to specific FJ cruiser backbone and the lock n load platform and when installing the mounting blocks I cut them down 3 inches to fit on the backbone?
anything else I need to know?

21 - 30 of 30 Posts