Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to posting on the forum but have been a long time reader. Anyway, I haven't been able to come across a post about actually replacing the ABS ECU (module? Not sure of the exact terminology). My ABS, VCS OFF, VCS TRAC, and Slip indicator lights are all on along with my "BRAKE" light. I have spent some time troubleshooting the issue. At first I thought, and hoped, I only had two bad wheel speed sensors due to the codes that were being shown for them being faulty. I replaced them and nothing changed. All four sensors are getting power (I have personally checked), brake fluid level is where it needs to be, all brake pads are nearly new, and all my bearings are fine. It seems to me that the last thing on the list is the ABS ECU needing to be replaced. Any advice, and has anyone done this on their own? It seems I can order the electrical panel without ordering an entire master cylinder and also avoiding outrageous prices for a shop to do the labor. Sorry for the long post, just need things cleared up.

·
Admin
7,023 Posts
Have you done any recent work to the FJ?

Any other issues besides the lights on? Alignment is good? Steering wheel is true?

I haven't heard of people having to replace the ABS ECU's too often so I would try to troubleshoot a little bit more just in case...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only work I have done even remotely close to the first time of having any issues is a leveling kit. This was put on months before the lights came on. No other work has been done to the FJ that would have been able to impact the abs system other than the troubleshooting I have done since my dashboard turned into a Christmas tree.

Alignment is spot on along with the steering, and the FJ hasn't been driven hard or had any terrain rough enough since the last alignment (which was done right after I put the leveling kit on).

Any advice on more troubleshooting?

·
Admin
7,023 Posts
Feel along the wires leading to each wheel for the ABS sensors... feel for skinny spots indicating a break.
I stretched mine in the back when I did my lift and I found 2 breaks. I got some extra wire and spliced it in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Felt as much of the cables as I could, all seems well there. Also double checked voltage to each sensor once again and it still checks out.

·
Admin
7,023 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
6,245 Posts
Rodents in the loom?

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
Well you need to read and record the trouble codes that are stored in the computer first so we have a base to start at. After that then go and have them cleared and see if any or all of the same codes reappear and that's where to begin.
This rig has 4 abs wheel speed sensors so you still have other sensors you haven't touched if it's a sensor at all. Just going at it willy nilly becomes frustrating and expensive so the codes are where to begin.
By any chance is the check engine light on? Just making sure.
Get the info and let's see if there's something your missing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no check engine light on. I have had the codes read before I tried to fix anything. After I got the codes for faulty wheel speed sensors (the front two) I replaced them and had the codes cleared. The warning lights all came back on the same day. I do in fact know that there are four sensors. The codes read the same after the sensors that were showing up on the scanner were replaced. Like I have stated, all sensors are getting power as well. This is not going at it willy nilly. I've had the codes read and replaced what was supposed to be faulty. ABS lights came back on shortly after the codes were cleared.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Try looking on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for a used skid control ecu + master cyclinder. Might be a cheaper way .vs new. I haven't seen anyone replace just he skid control ecu (the box in the pic below), but I have heard of a few folks having to replace the entire units due to faults. I've had my master cylinder off a couple of times. It's a pretty easy job to replace it. I have not removed the skid control ecu from the master though. Good luck... these modern vehicle electronics suck to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Every time I've gotten those lights, I've had a small break in the ABS wires at the front tires. Not the hardest to replace, but I had to wait a few days for Toyota to get them in stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts