Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have a 2007 fj 2wd and trying to figure out why these lights come on and off. It occurs randomly when I start the vehicle and it would turn off sometimes while driving. Any suggestions and advice will be helpful, thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
I had a similar issue when first starting and it was a low battery. I've quoted a part of a post that will help you check out the battery and alternator. Make sure the battery posts and connections are clean and tight.

Partial quote from a post by @FJtest ( I hope that its ok to do)

FJtest said:
Simple voltage checks, made with a quality digital multimeter of known accuracy:

Battery voltage, measured at least 20 minutes after engine has been shut off: 12.6 to 12.9 volts
Charging voltage with engine running at 2,000 RPM, no electrical loads: 13.2 to 14.8 volts
If you have access to a clamp-on DC current probe, charging current with engine running at 2,000 RPM, high beams on, and heater blower at max should be around 30A.
Report back if the checks look good or bad. Others will help out as this is about as far as I go with battery/alternator issues.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
One other possibility is to have the codes scanned (local auto parts store should have an OBDII scanner to read them) and post what you find.

If it turns out that there are no codes that come up on the scan, then it might be the brake light switch. Mine was going out and I'd get the "Christmas tree" lights on the dash come and go, but no codes. Finally I backed up to a big window and saw that my brake lights were only going on some of the times I pressed the pedal.

There are a few threads on here with instructions how to replace the switch, the part is cheap and it only takes a minute or two to replace, and mines been fine ever since (I tried repairing it first, by taking it apart and cleaning the contacts but it only lasted for a short time then came back until I put in a new switch).

·
トヨタ Master
6,351 Posts
Is the ABS light staying on when the others go off?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One other possibility is to have the codes scanned (local auto parts store should have an OBDII scanner to read them) and post what you find.

If it turns out that there are no codes that come up on the scan, then it might be the brake light switch. Mine was going out and I'd get the "Christmas tree" lights on the dash come and go, but no codes. Finally I backed up to a big window and saw that my brake lights were only going on some of the times I pressed the pedal.

There are a few threads on here with instructions how to replace the switch, the part is cheap and it only takes a minute or two to replace, and mines been fine ever since (I tried repairing it first, by taking it apart and cleaning the contacts but it only lasted for a short time then came back until I put in a new switch).
I actually replaced this not too long ago for the same reason along with the shifter keeps locking up. But this time I don’t think that’s the issue as the shifter seems fine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the ABS light staying on when the others go off?
Nothing stays on. At one point I remember the check engine came on along with all the lights except for rrdiff. I don’t drive the truck very often so I can’t tell how frequently it happens but it’s random. My gf also recalls hearing a grinding noise coming from the rear while reversing into driveway yesterday. I tried testing the rrdiff and it sounds like it’s responsive everytime I activate it but the light stays on. I then moved it out of the driveway and all the lights turn off. Haven’t driven it far enough to see if they will come back on. I just moved it to park.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a similar issue when first starting and it was a low battery. I've quoted a part of a post that will help you check out the battery and alternator. Make sure the battery posts and connections are clean and tight.

Partial quote from a post by @FJtest ( I hope that its ok to do)

Report back if the checks look good or bad. Others will help out as this is about as far as I go with battery/alternator issues.
I’ll look into this and report back

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
@jquest Not driving the FJ often is what lead to my issues. I'd forget to unplug the dashcam and/or remove the ODB interface. Both devices are on all the time and were draining the battery quicker than normal. Two weeks or so and I'd have a low battery.. Never did continue driving, Id go back and charge the battery.

Hope its something this easy...

·
トヨタ Master
6,351 Posts
Nothing stays on. At one point I remember the check engine came on along with all the lights except for rrdiff. I don’t drive the truck very often so I can’t tell how frequently it happens but it’s random. My gf also recalls hearing a grinding noise coming from the rear while reversing into driveway yesterday. I tried testing the rrdiff and it sounds like it’s responsive everytime I activate it but the light stays on. I then moved it out of the driveway and all the lights turn off. Haven’t driven it far enough to see if they will come back on. I just moved it to park.
The rear differenial lock light suggests that you are in low range when this occurs?

·
Admin
6,863 Posts
In 4Lo .... all those lights are supposed to come on. (diff lock when you press the button of course)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts