Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've found a number of posts of the same issue, but I'm sometimes able to make the lights come on by holding the brake pedal down and sometimes the lights go out when I release the brake pedal which I didn't see mentioned.

2007 manual. Starting a few months ago my cruise control light will very infrequently blink on and off. Last month my battery went dead after not being driven for about six weeks. I recently got gas and have a third-party locking gas cap.

I was driving and the four lights came on and holding / releasing the brake pedal can sometimes affect the lights. The cruise control light was blinking. No Engine Check Light, but I grabbed a code reader anyway that can read extra codes and no surprise there were none. Last year I replaced the spark plugs and did some sensor cleaning.

I'm about to start the usual stuff: check gas cap, brake pedal switch/wires, and if necessary I'll read up on where the wheel speed sensors are and how to check them. Based on what I've read because I also have the cruise control light blinking I wasn't planning on disconnecting the battery cable. I expect the problem is at the brake pedal, but I'm interested in any thoughts and advice.

My understanding is none of the systems should be disabled and it's safe to drive, but let me know if I'm wrong. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
check for OBDII codes, they will guide you

if there are no codes, then it is worth changing your brake light switch (known issue, cheap part, super easy to replace)

if there are vac codes, then it is worth changing the gas cap (12 years old)

since there is no CEL, I am betting there's nothing wrong with your emissions system

since you said it comes and goes with the use of your brake pedal I am voting for brake light switch

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx. An auto parts store has one in stock so I'll give it a try today. I see it has four terminals. My simple brain is puzzled how a failed switch that is normally open or closed causes the problems everyone describes. I would have thought it simply registered the brake pedal never depressed or always depressed. But apparently there is some third state that makes the cruise control light blink and the four lights of the apocalypse come on.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to try Plan B and save $26.

IMG_3421.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
plan B worked for me, for a few months, then it came back (I cleaned, and then double cleaned the contacts, with cleaning solution and a pencil eraser)

The new switch came with a differently colored housing, probably indicating some countermeasure had been taken in its manufacture to prevent reoccurrence.

N

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plan B was a bust. Still having the problem so will get a replacement.

After pressing the brake pedal a few times it "stuck" down until I pulled it back up. Something was catching on the threaded part of the switch housing and it happened a couple of more times in the driveway while I was pumping the brakes. Is there a trick to mounting the switch? It seems pretty straightforward to put it in and twist, and doesn't seem to matter which way the flat side is facing. Thx.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New switch in and first drive went well with no yellow lights / blinking cruise light. I won't keep spamming with updates on this common problem and solution. If I don't post back here again the new switch resolved the issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts