Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope someone can advise on this.
Came back from holiday, long one, to find the 2009 FJ's AC had stopped working. There was a smell that I can only describe as an unwashed camel coming from the vents. Went to gas station for a quick fix. They tell me it's a gas leak. Now up to this point, there was no issue with the AC, how could this happen when it's sitting in shaded parking for 5 weeks? Anyway, they drain and fill it with AC gas and it works for about a week. Same thing, it goes. Same station tells me they can replace the evaporator and drier under the dash for about 1000$. I don't trust them so take it to the dealer who tell me the same thing, but funny thing is it works fine for a full month after the dealer service. Now the smell is coming back, but the passenger vent seems to still be blowing cold while the driver's is blowing hot.
Someone please tell me it's electrical or something rather than a 1000$ job! :frown
Thanks in advance.
Andy

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Good call on the bumper (possible ac/line damage). Is it possible that a mouse moved into, or you just have a very dirty cabin air filter?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Ditto on the bumper question, otherwise it does sound like a leak.
The smell might be a back up of water that went stagnant. You can see the drain hose under the passenger side under the rig. Take a coat hanger and see if there is a blockage and have a garage do a pressure test on the system.

·
Registered
622 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses. Negative on the bumper mod, no work done there. It does smell like a dead animal, but the fact it worked fine for a month after the dealer looked at it stumps me. Probably a leak, but a week and a month are very different. Damn gas station guy said he'd filled it up.

·
Premium Member
1,639 Posts
The a-c oil that is used smells horrible.It sounds like an evaporator leak. The system is always under pressure which is why it quit while it sat for that time,the system is under higher pressure while operating which could explain the different time frames between dealer and independant shops(you used a-c less after dealer refill).Have a shop use a sniffer in the vents to look for refrigerant in vents indicating evaporator leak.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Also cause the a/c fluid, oil, whatever you want to call it conditions the seals. So if a seal was in danger of drying out (age related) and cracking regular use of the system would have helped prevent that. Leaving it sit would have ended the conditioning allowing the seal in question to have time to dry out and crack. Thus the leak. And why it apparently stayed charged for a little while but eventually leaked again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it looks like the evaporator needs replacing. Was hoping for something cheap like a fuse replacement :) Shows how much I know.
Thanks again. Great forum!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts