Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 FJ with 112K miles. I bought it used. As I was driving the other day, I heard a clicking or knocking sound coming from my passenger side. Never could determine the cause. Shortly there after, I noticed my driver's side AC vent to blowing noticeably warmer than my ice cold passenger side AC vent.

Both vents were blowing air at the same level. Just the driver's side wasn't as cool as the passenger's side.

After I clean my AC filter behind my glovebox, should I do anything else? Could it be low on freon? I'm hoping it's not a huge repair ($$$). I live in South Texas & need my AC working. ;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds like a blend door actuator is bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping you wouldn't say that. LOL Dang. Is this something I should take to the dealership or just a good repair shop? Our local Toyota Dealership is Gullo Toyota. They are horrible. I'd rather take the dash off myself, but honestly that's above my skill level. I think it is a 5.5 hour job if I remember correctly.

Angie

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you have a good local shop you trust I would let them do it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It might be a blend door. Or maybe not. I am a BMW tech and we get X5s with that complaint all the time. One side blows cold, the other side doesn't. It is almost always just low on refrigerant. R134 is cheap. It would be worth it to check the pressures and do an evac & recharge before taking the whole dash out. IMHO.

Side note: taking the dash out of a car is EASY! Don't let it scare you. It is time consuming but it is not hard at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey THANKS!!!! I just bought some R134 matter of fact. Thought I'd try that before the dash removal.

Is it best to check pressures & evac BEFORE I recharge? I bought the cheap can with the gauge on it. I've never worked with Freon before. Will it hurt if I just added it?

I'm trying to save as much money as possible by doing it myself. And I'm still afraid of removing the dash myself. LOL

Angie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
****UPDATE**** - My solution was adding R134a (freon?) to the system. It was low. Now why was it low??? Who knows. I live in South Texas where I use my A/C probably 10 months out of the year. My FJ is only 7 years old. I'll update if anything changes. Thanks for all the helpful information. I really appreciate it. I'm glad I tried the easier things first.

Angie

·
Registered
785 Posts
****UPDATE**** - My solution was adding R134a (freon?) to the system. It was low. Now why was it low??? Who knows. I live in South Texas where I use my A/C probably 10 months out of the year. My FJ is only 7 years old. I'll update if anything changes. Thanks for all the helpful information. I really appreciate it. I'm glad I tried the easier things first.

Angie
Be interested to see it stays fixed. Seems that the AC is a closed system, it should not be low, unless its leaking, but maybe someone with more knowledge will come by and say otherwise.

·
Registered
406 Posts
While I was looking for my new used 07 FJC I saw too many with AC leaks and they all seemed to be in the evaporator. That means removing the dash to replace. I think I have the start of a leak in mine. Windows closed, I get a odd noxious odor, not a smell really, but it irritates my sinuses. I think its the odor of the ac pag oil. I found this newish product that claims to permanently seal leaks without clogging internal components. Its not cheap, at $45 on amazon. I am installing it today before my drive to work. The instructions say to run the ac for an hour after installing.

Its called Easy Seal SS by nu-calgon which is designed for automotive sized systems and circulates with the refrigerant, not the oil like other products. Works with all refrigerants too.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
While I was looking for my new used 07 FJC I saw too many with AC leaks and they all seemed to be in the evaporator. That means removing the dash to replace. I think I have the start of a leak in mine. Windows closed, I get a odd noxious odor, not a smell really, but it irritates my sinuses. I think its the odor of the ac pag oil. I found this newish product that claims to permanently seal leaks without clogging internal components. Its not cheap, at $45 on amazon. I am installing it today before my drive to work. The instructions say to run the ac for an hour after installing.

Its called Easy Seal SS by nu-calgon which is designed for automotive sized systems and circulates with the refrigerant, not the oil like other products. Works with all refrigerants too.
Interested in hearing the result. I get a whiff of that now and again even if I don't use the ac, just running air through the duct sometimes..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts