Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed an All Pro bumper on the FJ about 3 months. I the instructions, it mentions that you have to bend a certain AC line for the bumper to clear. After about 3 months of normal driving, the aluminium ac line rubbing against the steel bumper developed a hole. I would advise all owners with All Pro bumpers to check to make sure that their AC lines are not rubbing against their bumpers & take steps to make sure this does not happen to them. Just wanted people not to make the same mistake I did.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. What I should've done when I installed mine was to cut a piece of 1/4, 5/16 or 3/8 (whatever fits best) rubber fuel line about 2 inches long or so then slit it lengthwise to slip over the part where it is rubbing, I was lazy, it was late and I did not do that. About two weeks later I noticed it was rubbing and hade to make a quick trail repair one day with some velcro strapping and some chewed gum! lol Mine has not worn all the way through yet, my repair is holding for now until I have the time to fix it properly (Run a new custom line). What was the cost of your repairs?

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
its happened to lot sof people with the all-pro and demello bumpers. Just wrap some fuel line around it and you're good to go
x2 1/4" or bigger, put a slice down one side and slide it over, i just did it yesterday with left over tubing from breather mods.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
that can be expensive unless ya know how to do it yourself

·
Registered
379 Posts
I agree with what others have said here. Cut a slit in some rubber fuel line and wrap the AC line. I secured mine with some zip ties. I didn't really see any contact between the line and my AllPro bumper, but I didn't want to take any chances.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Been there! I thought it was clear but..... I can't rememeber exactly but the line itself was around $120 and the evac and charge was another $150 or so.:mecry:

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Been there! I thought it was clear but..... I can't rememeber exactly but the line itself was around $120 and the evac and charge was another $150 or so.:mecry:
dang, a lot more than i had thought. How much is air conditioning worth to you???

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Yes I had to reposition this AC line when I installed the Demello bumper. I didn't notice at first as I was putting the bumper on. Noticed some resistance as I was pushing it all the way back on the 6 frame studs. As I look threw the top of the bumper I see the AC line is the resistance. One big shove and there would have been a broken line.:mecry:I used thin walled rubber tubing about 6" long. This covered the 2 contact points on the AC line that was happening.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I waiting on my winch before I install mine.
If I were to do this again, I would cut a small relief in the area where the two meet. For my Demello bumper, it would only take ~ 3/8" wide, half circle to give more clearance. And, I would put the gas line around it also just for insurance...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
If I were to do this again, I would cut a small relief in the area where the two meet. For my Demello bumper, it would only take ~ 3/8" wide, half circle to give more clearance. And, I would put the gas line around it also just for insurance...
That would do it. I'm going to look at doing just that leaving the Demello on. This might take some very delicate sawsall surgery. :scared:

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
That would do it. I'm going to look at doing just that leaving the Demello on. This might take some very delicate sawsall surgery. :scared:
My plan is to use my dremel tool with a grinding wheel. When I get my Demello rear bumper in the next couple weeks (yeehaw!) and doing that install, I'll loosen all the nuts on the front, pull it clear enough to slip the grinding wheel into the spot. I have to install lights into the front bumper and I'll get all this done at the same time....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lucky its still cool here is Tx, so it not been to bad. Definetly taking some steps to make sure that this does not happen again for the duration that we have the FJ in the garage

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
good thing i saw this thread. Thanks for the heads up too! Im going to put some on mine tomorrow!

·
Registered
321 Posts
You sure saved me. I didn't notice the contact when I installed my AllPro. Quick trip the the hardware store and all is good.

THANKS!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts