Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Access to Bank 1 - Sensor 1

Greetings all.

According to my error codes, my Bank 2 Sensor 1 is shot. I purchased a new one, and set out to tame the beast and fix this myself. (I'm a computer guy by trade, for over 30 years. Spinning a wrench is something that I'm trying to get more comfortable with.)

(In the process, I'm going to change the Bank 1 - Sensor 1 as well. It wasn't coming up as bad, but figured I should change it as well - can't hurt.)

It seems that Bank 1 Sensor 1 is located in a most inconvenient location. I know I need to use a 7/8" wrench to get that guy out of there, but man, could they make it any more difficult? I've got two AC lines smack in front of where I need to spin the wrench, and if that's not bad enough, part of the engine block hangs down in the way too. I'm very hesitant to move those AC lines too much, because they're rigid and I don't want to damage them.

I went up to Lowe's and got one of the ratcheting wrenches, hoping that might help. It *almost* does, but it seems that the sensor is pretty well dead set in its way on staying firmly in the socket. Even with only a little bit of wiggle room, I'm not able to get it to move at all.

So, I'm asking all of the more learned folks on the forums here. I could really use some help (wish some of you lived close by in Slower Lower Delaware). Short of taking it up to the local repair shop and asking him to do this, I'm a bit out of ideas. And I *really* don't want to do that - I would feel better knowing I changed this myself, if at all possible.

Is there a different tool I should be trying? And if the sensor is seized up in the socket, best choice for something that might help loosen it up?

Thank you all for your assistance, I truly appreciate it.

Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Passenger side is bank 1 on these, no?
Yes, you are indeed correct (this is the B1 sensor). I'm going to be changing both. Figured if I'm changing one, I should hit both of them while I'm at it. After I get these done, I'll attack the downstream sensors next.

Still need to figure out how to get this guy out.

Sean

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What part numbers are you using and where did you buy I'm in same boat

Thanks
Sure thing! I got mine from Auto Parts Warehouse. Part number is NP2349051.

Sean

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Did you try soaking with a penetrant over night? (PB Blaster, WD40 etc)
Also, if you're careful, maybe get a Vise Grip on there.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Top tip..... Buy the 02 sensor tool. It's only a few bucks and won't strip the sensor like an open end wrench. Run the engine to heat it up. It'll easily break free. If you need more heat use a propane torch. Careful you don't torch the wires or anything else.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve recently had the same issue with both sensors bank 2 sensor 1 and bank 1 sensor 1 I had them both replaced however believe the mechanic didn’t install them properly as the codes are still showing. What are you suggestions with this? Are u still have the same issues with ur codes pulling as well?
Vianka

1 - 8 of 8 Posts